Do you think it's appropriate to take children to an alcohol centered event, even if they allow all ages?

I don't have a no alcohol viewpoint. I drink and have no issues with " you" having a drink. I just don't see that alcohol needs to be offered or consumed at an event designed for kids/under 21. My one year olds birthday or my 18 yo graduation is a celebration celebration of HER and providing alcohol just wouldn't be something I would do.

You were definitely not at my nephew's last birthday party where a bunch of 5-8 year olds were running circles in the house screaming. 😜

Last edited:
yeo I think it’s wrong to drink in front of kids. Never have and Never will. I know I’m in the minority but that’s the way I feel.

I respect your stance. But I don't understand why you think it is wrong? That is what I am asking. I know we aren't going to change each others opinion, but it is nice to gain your perspective of why you think it is wrong.

Depends. I'm not going to bring a kid if he's the only one, but if everyone else is, I totally would.
My family hosts a wine tasting every year and I always have kids there, at least 10-15. They occupy eachother and we love seeing them.

I don't have a no alcohol viewpoint. I drink and have no issues with " you" having a drink. I just don't see that alcohol needs to be offered or consumed at an event designed for kids/under 21. My one year olds birthday or my 18 yo graduation is a celebration celebration of HER and providing alcohol just wouldn't be something I would do.

As has been discussed many other times. It is how one grows up. Alcohol was never part of celebrations, holiday's, etc. So it is normal to me. If you grew up with it as part of your family's celebrations it may be odd to have it NOT be offered.
I didn't say you had a no drink viewpoint..I put that as well as "or much stricter viewpoint on alcohol" and it's just my observation as a generality.

I wouldn't by norm have alcohol to be at a 1 year old bday but I wouldn't see it as an issue either based on principle. I would say a high school graduation would be more common to have alcohol.

I think what caught my attention for your comments, because I get the idea of using norms for such and such growing up, was your careful attention to age. The drinking age has changed over time which should be independent of one's moral viewpoint but could impact norms for growing up.

Alcohol at an 18 year old's graduation when the law supported that would have been appropriate at that time given your expressed viewpoint because it was both for the person graduating and they could drink. Technically even now really it's a pesudo law at the federal level as they just state you'll lose a percentage of federal highways funds IF the state elects to have a minimum drinking age less than 21. This also gives states the ability to have those exceptions written in.

**I'm just having a conversation here BTW as everyone is totally able to have their own viewpoints. You certainly don't have to discuss it back with me just my out loud musings here.

I once went to a bourbon tasting event. There were women with strollers there. I didnt see anybody overtly drunk, but it doesnt take too many tastings to get hammered.

Another question for everyone here...if someone brings their children to an alcohol specific event, are they allowed to get mad when other adults (with no children) want to let loose and get a little tipsy? I notice that I often see complaints from parents about other adults getting tipsy, or even drunk, while at these types of events.

Another question for everyone here...if someone brings their children to an alcohol specific event, are they allowed to get mad when other adults (with no children) want to let loose and get a little tipsy? I notice that I often see complaints from parents about other adults getting tipsy, or even drunk, while at these types of events.

I don't get upset when my kids are around tipsy or drunk people.

Unless they are being violent I don't see what the big deal is. They've had a few drinks, they're tipsy, are they hurting your child??

If my kids are around an overly obnoxious drunk person we just use it as a learning experience.

If an event or venue is primarily for adults, I don't think people should bring their children even if not specifically forbidden. It is absolutely fine to have adult only events. Kids don't have to be included in everything that their parents or adult family members do.
My point exactly. Most of these responses posit on the question of whether it is inappropriate for the kids. Poorly disciplined children in an adult-targeted environment can be very negative for the adults sadly, and it is not unreasonable for children not to be included in every adult-focused event. There are plenty of more family-focused alternatives.

Nope. You made a conscious decision to bring your child to an alcohol specific event where there will obviously be drinking. If those without children can't get mad at you then you can't get mad at them. Goes both ways.

Already brought up and answered earlier on in the thread from me. I called it a user beware situation.

I once had parents glare at me like the world was going to end when I said a mild curse word (even though you're discussing alcohol same sort of thing applies) in a restaurant/bar where patrons at that time of day/night had to be 21 or older to enter (and I entered after that point) and they had their kids with them. You were allowed to stay if you entered the restaurant/bar prior to the time when they started the carding process though. User beware my friends user beware.

I don't get upset when my kids are around tipsy or drunk people.

Unless they are being violent I don't see what the big deal is. They've had a few drinks, they're tipsy, are they hurting your child??

If my kids are around an overly obnoxious drunk person we just use it as a learning experience.
I feel the same way. It is a good learning experience.

If an event or venue is primarily for adults, I don't think people should bring their children even if not specifically forbidden. It is absolutely fine to have adult only events. Kids don't have to be included in everything that their parents or adult family members do.

Oh I've seen the "Would you go to a wedding that is adult only and your kids aren't invited?" threads go quite crazy. Some people believe they can't be without their kids for 5 minutes. Or parents that believe little Timmy and Suzie are the most adorable things that they must grace us with their presence at every opportunity.

Oh I've seen the "Would you go to a wedding that is adult only and your kids aren't invited?" threads go quite crazy. Some people believe they can't be without their kids for 5 minutes. Or parents that believe little Timmy and Suzie are the most adorable things that they must grace us with their presence at every opportunity.
Yep. I have two kids. I love my two kids but you better believe I enjoy kid free events and weddings. For example my kid free cruise in August that I really really hope to be on. :)

Another question for everyone. My parishes Summer Festival. It is definitely for families, with kids carnival games and fair rides. Also has food booths, live music (geared for adults), gambling (adults only), and sells beer/wine. There are police all over the festival making sure of the safety of all visitors. Is it wrong for our church to sell alcohol at this event? I can tell you it is there biggest seller. I see nothing wrong with it, we have never had an incident of drunken crazy behavior and it attracts a lot of non parishioners and is always a fun time for all.

We have alcohol at virtually all of our church gatherings, usually with lots of toddlers and kids running around. We haven't had a large event like you describe where we would be selling; I'm referring to dinners and small groups where snacks and drinks would be offered. Our church (and plenty of others) even have a beer-themed Bible study (they're usually called Draft Theology, Theology on Tap, etc) where the purpose is to have a drink or two and discuss interesting religious topics. We have even brewed beer at our house as a group activity and then shared the beer at a church event (like the Feast of the Epiphany).

I guess this is why I have never quite understood the "kids can never see an adult consuming alcohol ever" mentality that some people have. Inappropriate to drink to excess, absolutely. But I don't see anything inherently "bad" about alcohol in itself that children must be shielded from. To me, having one quality drink is the same thing as enjoying a delicious dessert or savoring some other food as a treat.

I have never quite understood the "kids can never see an adult consuming alcohol ever" mentality that some people have
This OP asked about alcohol-centred events such as wine-tasting. I don’t imagine your family church events are 100% alcohol focused; simply having a glass of wine or beer at a family event is of course very reasonable.
But if I go to a wine-tasting, I go for adult discussion - not to entertain other people’s kiddies.

I guess this is why I have never quite understood the "kids can never see an adult consuming alcohol ever" mentality that some people have. Inappropriate to drink to excess, absolutely. But I don't see anything inherently "bad" about alcohol in itself that children must be shielded from. To me, having one quality drink is the same thing as enjoying a delicious dessert or savoring some other food as a treat.
Indeed, I grew up seeing my parents having the occasional glass or two of wine with dinner and if it taught me anything, it showed me that adults can enjoy alcoholic beverages in moderation with no ill-effects.

We have alcohol at virtually all of our church gatherings, usually with lots of toddlers and kids running around. We haven't had a large event like you describe where we would be selling; I'm referring to dinners and small groups where snacks and drinks would be offered. Our church (and plenty of others) even have a beer-themed Bible study (they're usually called Draft Theology, Theology on Tap, etc) where the purpose is to have a drink or two and discuss interesting religious topics. We have even brewed beer at our house as a group activity and then shared the beer at a church event (like the Feast of the Epiphany).

I agree.

Maybe it is because how I grew up around alcohol — it was never considered taboo. My dad would have a beer after work, and my parents enjoyed cocktails at social events. It was out in the open, and they drank responsibly, so seeing didn’t have any negative side effects to my childhood. Perhaps those who grew up in a dry household or on the reverse had alcoholism in their family would view if differently. My guess is that plays a significant factor in your feelings about it.

Nothing is wrong with either viewpoint.

But it does feel at times (not always) that those who don’t approve pass judgement on those who do. YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter