Does anyone else have a backup plan

Tozzie

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if anyone who has booked a trip with ABD for next year has a backup plan in the event the trip is cancelled. In the previous two years my trips were cancelled so I am looking at other trips just in case, anyone else

Have a back up plan in place if the Disney trip gets cancelled.We will be going to Alaska with Disney or some other tour company

My travel agent indicated that the Adults only Italy trip in May 2010 was booking up quickly. I hope she's right. With so many other Italy trips available, if the Adults only trip does get canceled, I'd just pick another time. I would be disappointed since we don't have kids, but I'm sure it would still be a wonderful trip.

We are doing Alpine Magic on 6/20/2010, followed by 5 days in Paris on our own. We booked the airline tickets with FF miles and the hotel in Paris with points. So, if ABD cancels, I'm not sure what we will do as it will be alot of logistical work to re-arrange flights and hotels. We would probably just try and do the trip on our own following a similar itinerary. Obviously it wouldn't be the same (more work!) but we would need to trade that off with trying to re-arrange the entire back end of the trip, flights, time off from work, etc.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying we don't really have a good contingency plan. So, here's hoping ABD doesn't cancel.

Is having ABD cancel a trip something that occurs often enough that you really need a back up plan? I figured at some point I would try it, but would like to know what I would be getting in to.

I think you'll hear a lot of different opinions on that topic--but generally, in 2007 (when we did our first ABD), I don't recall any cancellations, and am not aware of any in early 2008--but with the economic downturn mixed with an aggressive growth in the number of Adventures, Disney had to cancel a number of trips in late 2008, early 2009. (Both domestic and foreign--not sure if there were more of one over the other). They made their 2009-10 Adventures announcement in August, reflecting fewer trips in recognition of the ecomonic reality and ups/downs of the travel biz. As I recall they now have a firmer guarantee that the posted trips will be a "go"--see the frequently asked questions in the ABD website. Given all of this, and a belief that Disney is trying to work it out to avoid customer dissatisfaction, I doubt there is much of a likelihood of a trip cancellation. But, that is MHO!

As I recall they now have a firmer guarantee that the posted trips will be a "go"--see the frequently asked questions in the ABD website.
I believe the policy is now that no trip will be cancelled within 85 days of the trip departure date. I agree that ABD appear to be trying to put policies in place to minimize the number of trips to be cancelled this year.

Sayhello

Is having ABD cancel a trip something that occurs often enough that you really need a back up plan? I figured at some point I would try it, but would like to know what I would be getting in to.

I wouldn't let the numerous 2008/2009 trip cancellations stop me from booking in the future. Disney couldn't predict the downturn in the economy. I think they've made every reasonable effort to avoid a repeat in 2009/2010. My original July 2009 trip was cancelled in Dec 2008 and I was very satisfied with the way it was handled and was able to rebook with no problems. So even if a cancellation occurs, it doesn't have to be a disaster.

Well I believe a backup plan is needed as I have had 2 trips two years in a row canceled and the first one was way before the economy tanked.

Have a back up plan in place if the Disney trip gets cancelled.We will be going to Alaska with Disney or some other tour company

Lots of other companies with Alaska trips, as I'm sure you've found yourself. I also think Alaska is a trip that you could do very easily on your own. You know the hotels that ABD uses and you can book excursions from the front desk. Some of the excursions are better than the ones on the ABD itinerary, but they are also expensive!

Lots of other companies with Alaska trips, as I'm sure you've found yourself. I also think Alaska is a trip that you could do very easily on your own. You know the hotels that ABD uses and you can book excursions from the front desk. Some of the excursions are better than the ones on the ABD itinerary, but they are also expensive!

We have thought about that and most of the excursions I would do but DW would not I might do a side trip or two on are free time.If Disney cancels we might just do one on are own and stay longer

I asked DH what our back-up plan was. He said that if ABD cancels our trip, we'll just go on a different one that is in the same time range since he already has vacation time scheduled. I am really looking forward to Spirit of America and I hope it doesn't fall through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter