Dogs running loose at RPR?

Mainebound

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I read somewhere (on another DIS thread, I think) a complaint about RPR that guests are allowed to bring their dogs and this creates a problem of wild dogs everywhere. This is the first I have heard of this, and it doesn't sound right. But if true, it would influence me to choose another US hotel.

Any comments?

Thanks!

Saw no dogs running "wild". I did see a few cute little dogs in elevator (in people's arms), but none loose.

At HRH there was a huge bulldog (make that two) laying on the tile floor "chilling" right where you would exit to the pool. They were very docile and lots of kids were petting them. It was not a problem.

Hope this helps.

Bob

When we were at RPR in July I saw some people with Dogs but they had them on a leash and a lady had a large german sheperd with her sitting in the loby of the hotel, But it wasn't a problem and it looked as though they had a seprate tower of rooms that you could stay to bring your pet. We stayed in tower 1 and was on the 6th floor and didn't see any animals then other in the loby or outside. It was a very nice hotel I would probably go back to it as I had never been to Universal in Flordia or had stayed at their hotels before.

I have also seen dogs at Hard Rock many times and there has never been a problem. AND they were huge dogs!

Hi..

I saw several dogs at RPR... shelties (so cute) and larger breeds they were no problem at all.

At Hardrock I saw BIG dogs.. german shepards, bull dogs, boxers, and there was a yappy dog on the club level who barked insessently for hours :rolleyes:

Other than the little yappy one it was no problem at all... keep in mind that Loews welcomes pets

>>^..^<<

All the resorts do allow pets. We saw a few during our trip and when I heard before getting there that they allowed pets, I was put off. I love animals, but didn't like the idea of them in a hotel. Well, I was wrong. People keep them on a leash and there aren't as many as you would think.

Last time we stayed at HRH we only saw one dog - of course it was pretty slow - we didn't see ALL that many people either! We are staying at RPR this time and I requested a room away from where pets are allowed - I like animals - but prefer not to be next door to them in a hotel. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

I didn't know they allow pets on property. This will be a big problem for my DS 4. He is deathly afraid of dogs. We have to close our windows at home if he even hears a dog bark. I don't know why he is so afraid of them. I will make sure to request they put us as far away from the dogs as possible. What do they do if you are allergic? I myself am not a big fan of dogs and hope we do not encounter any during our stay. This could ruin our stay at RPR.

I've been told that the 1st floor rms in all Loews are pet friendly as well as the villa rms in the main building especially the handicapped rms there. Try a high floor in the west or east wings. You also should know there are paths at the hotels for dog walking and they are allowed in the lobby(.Not resaurants or pool area)

This sounds a little strange to me. What do people do with the dogs during the day? The dog stays in the room? Are these rooms reserved for people with dogs only? I wouldn't want to stay in a room where a dog just stayed. Do you hear dogs barking? Thats the last thing I want to hear while on vacation.

from what I've read, the hotel supplies you with a beeper so they can contact you if there is a problem (i.e. barking, etc.) We were on Club level in tower 3 in July and ran into a couple of people with dogs up there...don't know if they were from that floor or not. We didn't have any problems with dogs on the grounds...in fact, I'm not even sure where the dogwalk part is..there was never any odor of any kind. We were more bothered by some behavior by conventioneers who were there for half of our stay. They left trash and empty glasses EVERYWHERE, in the bushes, on walls, even in the water taxi! !......never found anything left by a dog though .

When I stayed at the HRH last year I never saw a dog at all so I dont think theyre really a problem

make sure you specify on your rm ressie that you don't want to be near the pet-friendly rooms. I think they are the 1st floor. and yes the dogs are in the rooms all day unless their owners are walking them. I don't think there are many but you can bring them. We are.

Are the dogs allowed on club level at RPR? We are REALLY not big dog fans. Plus, allergies are an issue with my DS.
Thanks!

To help put some fears to rest, I just wanted to share my experiences. My family has stayed at all 3 on-sites. My 10 year old son is an asthmatic with severe allergies to cats and minor allergies to some dogs. Whenever we call to make a reservation we make sure this is stated in the record. In all of our stays he has never had a problem. They are great about making sure our room has not had a pet in it previously.

In all honesty we have only encountered seeing dogs at check in in the lobby and that was only during one of our trips. We practice avoidance at home and it is the same when we go away. The pets are leashed and you can choose to not be near them.

As far as fear of dogs I would think you can avoid any situation where your child would have a problem while staying at these resorts.

The original post asking if its a problem with wild dogs everywhere is not the case and it just would not be beneficial to Loews good name if that were true. The animals we saw were all well behaved and two of the dogs we saw were large breed.

Even with my sons condition, I think its great that people can stay at a deluxe property and have their pets with them if they choose.

I am not sure of their policy for allowing pets club level but I would guess they do but would doubt they would be allowed in the lounge. I would give a call directly and ask.

My biggest problem when we saw the dogs in the lobby was keeping my kids from running over to love them up!

Thanks everyone for your opinions on the pet situation. It sounds like it's mostly very well controlled and only a problem if you really really don't like or are highly allergic to dogs -- and meybe not even then. We have a big dog ourselves, so it won't be a problem for us to encounter the occasional well-leashed and well-behaved dog on vacation.

Thanks again for clarifying the situation!

Hi all!

We brought our boxer pup, Bodhi, down with us in June - he was 10 mos. at the time. We wouldn't have usually, exept that his buddy (our 13 yr old boxer/dobie mix) left us a couple months earlier and we thought he'd be too depressed if we left him, too.

He was ALWAYS leashed, and his crate was in the room - we were on the 3rd floor of Tower I, I think. The other guests just loved him! They were always petting or admiring him. The only problem we encountered was one of the maids in the hallway about jumped into her cart when she saw us coming. I tried to explain that he is so completely harmless, but she spoke no English. We just hurried past her. The bellman and front desk people loved him. If he wasn't with us, they asked where he was! I was walking him one morning (early) and forgot a 'baggie', so I asked the guy who was cleaning up the walkway and he said not to worry about it, he'd get it. I said no, and went to find one elsewhere. You have to pick up after your own dog!

I will definately do it again, though. He was so much better off with us there, even if he was in the room alot.

That is funny - the only person we encountered who seemed
scared was also a maid! Our dog LOVED being there. He
almost wagged his tail off. Everyone we met (but that poor
maid!) were very nice and wanted to pet him. He loves
people so he was in heaven all weekend. We were on the
7th floor so at first the elevator scared him. But after a bit
he would get right on and stare at the door like everyone
else. LOL

The bag of goodies were great - plus he seemed to love
having a view of the pool and watching everyone. We
are going back at Thanksgiving - with the happy pup!

Bodhi was scared to death of the elevator, too! I had to drag him in, which made anyone around crack up!

I'm really happy that the US resorts allow pets. It's so convenient and cost-saving - the kennels up here run about $12/day!

Hi!!
To those who have brought your dofgs, how much more is it to have a dog with you???
Thanks!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter