Dolphin Encounter questions

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
Hi, folks. We've decided we want to do the Dolphin Encounter shore excursion on our Nassau day, and we have quite a few questions . . . thanks in advance to anyone who can clear these up for us. We're first time cruisers, so please assume we know nothing and give us the detailed answers! Thanks.

1. Signing up: We're about three weeks away from our 60-day mark, but we don't have our paperwork yet. We're paid in full. We know this is a very popular excursion, so we do want to make reservations ahead of time -- HOW do we go about doing this?

2. Transportation: We're very confused about the transportation to the Dolphin Encounter location. Is it on Blue Lagoon? How do we get there, and how do we get back? Is there anything else to do once we've finished with the program, or should we head back to the ship?

3. The program location: What's the dolphin encounter location like? I'm imagining that it's near the ocean's shore, and you'd just walk out. My husband thinks it's on a sandbar and you get there by boat.

4. Children: We have two daughters, ages 6 and 9. We have some concerns that the 6 year old might be frightened. If this happens, can one parent remove her from the water? Can we realistically expect our family to go in "two shifts" so that if the 6 year old freaks out, one parent would still be on the shore to stay with her?

5. The information I've seen says that the program is 4-7 hours long. That's a big time frame! How long have most people spent in this program?

6. What else should I know about this program?

Thanks!

The swim is not a disney excursion (only the encounter) so we booked it on our own. We just grabbed a cab $4 each over to paradise island which was a 5 to 10 minute cab ride.(between the two bridges) From there you catch the fairy to blue lagoon island. After the swim we had time to shower & change, buy pictures, video, gifts etc, then when we were ready we hopped on the fairy which made a quick stop at paradise island to drop people off, then they took us to the ship.

When you book a shore excursion they should provide all transportation to and from the trip.

I would either call disney cruise lines & ask how to go about booking the encounter or your travel agent should be able to give you a phone # to call for booking.

If i remember right it is more expensive to book thru the cruise line then it is to book it on your own. I believe the cruise line also gives you time at blue lagoon beach.......someone correct me if that info isn't right.

I don't have much info on this yet...but we did book the encounter through the dolphin encounter program directly - not through DSL. I booked it online at the dolphinswims.com web site and they e-mailed our conf #. We have confirmation for our Nassau day on Sept 29. When they sent us the confirmation # they also told us where to check in at - which is located at the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal. It is also a lot cheaper than going through DSL. We have 2 dd's ages 3 & 5 and the 3 year old is free. You also pay when you get there, not in advance. Hope this helps!

If you don't book through Disney are you allowed to stay at the beach on Blue Lagoon, using their hammocks, chairs, etc.? How much does transportation cost from the ship, to Paradise Island, to Blue Lagoon and back? Did you have reservations for a particular time, or do they just work you in somehow when you get there on your own? What is their cancellation policy, i.e., what happens if the weather is bad and you don't make it? Did you take food from the ship, or buy it at Blue Lagoon and do you have any food choices other than the restaurant which is included in the DCL excursion? What about towels?

Thanks for filling in these blanks for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter