Dr Laura SAID WHAT?????

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
I heard that a recent Dr. Laura podcast was kind of disturbing. ( I did not hear it). The caller, a stay at home mom, has a husband who controls their finances. They bought a new home and he didn't put her name on the house. Reason: after you lose 40 lbs, I will put your name on the house.

UHHHHH WHAT? No wait, IT GETS WORSE.

Dr Laura's response: I certainly support him doing it and I’m not sure if it’s legal. You made vows and now you have changed in a big way. He doesn't like the changes and so you need to lose the weight or you lose out on your legal rights to the new house.

Does anyone listen to Dr Laura? Did this really happen? I’m hoping it’s one of those urban legend kind of stories.

I'd wait to see the transcript before I would judge. Sounds like an urban legend to me although I know Dr Laura's known to be quite traditional.

Haven't paid attention to her for years , but the caller should talk to an attorney if it is real.

I haven't heard her for years but if memory serves, she advocated that husbands and wives each owed it to the other to stay as attractive and physically and mentally healthy for one another as possible. While I agree with the basic principle of that, she'd need to have a screw loose to actually say she agreed with the husband withholding title to a jointly-held property. I don't believe that could possibly be what she actually said. I'd want to either hear the piece or read a transcript to understand the full extent of her comments.

Last edited:
I didn’t hear this call, but I have heard her say something similar when a caller called in because the husband had an affair because she gained weight. She is awful. I listen sometimes, but mostly because she aggravates me enough that it distracts me from my long commute. I would never take her advice on anything.

Dr. Laura is a horrible doctor and even worse person. I would never listen to a word she says.
She is not even qualified to be dispensing advice. She is not a MD. Nor is she a psychologist or social worker. Her PhD is in physiology.

I don't doubt she said something that horrible. She regularly fat shames callers. Read her wikipedia bio and how she responded to someone who was encountering racism in her marriage.

The woman is despicable.

A couple months ago I was listening to her on a road trip. I was shocked to hear her say that feminism and working women are to blame for the breakdown of the family.

Except.... she’s a working woman, a working mom, too. And it ignores the economic realities of today.

A couple months ago I was listening to her on a road trip. I was shocked to hear her say that feminism and working women are to blame for the breakdown of the family.

Except.... she’s a working woman, a working mom, too. And it ignores the economic realities of today.
She's got to be pretty old now - in her 70's at least. I can't remember exactly but I think she didn't work when her only child was little. I read a biography, oh maybe even 20 or so years ago? Some of her opinions are cringe-worthy and certainly provocative but I'm not sure she's a hypocrite; meaning she may have lived exactly like she spouts off about. As for being shocked by her advice, I'm not sure why someone would listen to her show, much less call in if they didn't already have some expectation of what she would say.

Dr. Laura has also said that women should submit to sex whenever their husbands want it. So this doesn't shock me.

She's got to be pretty old now - in her 70's at least. I can't remember exactly but I think she didn't work when her only child was little. I read a biography, oh maybe even 20 or so years ago? Some of her opinions are cringe-worthy and certainly provocative but I'm not sure she's a hypocrite; meaning she may have lived exactly like she spouts off about. As for being shocked by her advice, I'm not sure why someone would listen to her show, much less call in if they didn't already have some expectation of what she would say.
She's definitely a hypocrite. She took up with her second husband while both of them were married to other people--she later left her husband and he his wife and children so they could be together. Plus there was at least one other affair in that same period, the one with the guy who took the nude photos. Nobody could say she hasn't led an interesting life...

I have to think the caller was trolling her. Why would you call someone like this for advice if you know anything at all about her views and opinions? It doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Does anyone listen to Dr Laura? Did this really happen? I’m hoping it’s one of those urban legend kind of stories.

No, I've never listened to her show. (I do think I've heard of her, but don't know much about her. Based on the description here, though, and especially if this story is true, I really don't think I'd like her!)

As much as I think it would be great if every mom who wanted to could stay home when her kids were little (and even though it's what I did), I don't think it should be the only choice. And I absolutely don't think only one person in a legal partnership should control the finances and/or use them to manipulate the other one!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter