Dr Laura SAID WHAT?????

A lot of people think because divorce decrees declare you pay off debts 50-50 that they're only responsible for their half. He may have to pay A, B, And C, and you Z, Y, and X. However, A, B, and C can still come after you if he doesn't pay. So make sure as many debts as possible are paid even if the house has to be sold. And make sure any of those credit cards are closed to new activity.
Thanks, unfortunately I'm all too aware of that--when I was a kid I watched creditors come after my mom for my stepfather's debts. He refused to pay so they harassed her. Actually, he purposely ran up bills as a way to hurt her after she left him.

When I left my husband I paid off all our joint debts and made sure the accounts were closed, a process which infuriated him! My lawyer advised me not to do it, to wait and have him share the debt with me in the divorce, but I was too scared after watching what my step dad did to my mom. I mean, my step dad racked up thousands in debt in just a few months! The kids and I still haven't financially recovered after I blew our nest egg on paying off those joint debts but it was worth it to be free of him. Now I have to fight for my portion of the house and retirement accounts.

She is not even qualified to be dispensing advice. She is not a MD. Nor is she a psychologist or social worker. Her PhD is in physiology.

I don't doubt she said something that horrible. She regularly fat shames callers. Read her wikipedia bio and how she responded to someone who was encountering racism in her marriage.

The woman is despicable.

BINGO

:confused3 Like her or not (and I don’t), I’m not sure what difference this makes. The vast majority of counselors are not medical doctors, nor does being one qualify them to provide counselling. I’d be as likely to take life-coaching type advice from my plumber or the mailman as from my GP.

Last edited:

OK - Dr. Laura is my guilty pleasure on road trips. Not because I agree with her, but because I think it's hilarious the way she goes off on people. She also will give completely opposite advice to people with the same issue depending on her mood.

I actually heard this call. She briefly mentioned that according to the local law this woman might be entitled to her share of the house. However, she did totally go off on the woman for putting on a few pounds and not looking like she did when she married him and how she (Dr Laura) weighs the same as she always has so there's no excuse. :rolleyes: And never once did she ask if he looks the same as he did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter