Driving in and around Toronto

Searc

DIS Veteran
How difficult is driving around Toronto and in the downtown area? My husband has decided it is a great idea to take a road trip to Toronto, from WI, in February. :sad2: :rolleyes2 To say I am less than thrilled with this idea would be a gross understatement, but my Christmas present (tickets he bought me) are for a concert in Toronto ~ in February, for a band I've mentioned once I liked one of their songs. :confused: You know how when a song comes on and you say "oh, I like this song"?

So, alas, my hoped-for warm weather vacation has turned into Toronto ~ in February. :sad:

Anyway, I've never been to Toronto and since we'll be driving our personal vehicle, I'm wondering how easy or difficult it is to drive/navigate around there.

It’s a standard city. It’s not like NYC with wall to wall cars. You’ll be fine. Just know that using cell data in Canada is often an extra charge. My SO’s sister used google maps for a Toronto trip and ended up with a huge cell charge because she wasn’t thinking that Canada was another country.

I'm curious about the concert...who is the entertainment?
Also, us Wisconsinites got the winter driving down pat! :thumbsup2
(no clue about Toronto though)

ps. Sorry about not going to a warm weather destination...I totally get that!

It’s a standard city. It’s not like NYC with wall to wall cars. You’ll be fine. Just know that using cell data in Canada is often an extra charge. My SO’s sister used google maps for a Toronto trip and ended up with a huge cell charge because she wasn’t thinking that Canada was another country.
I've already thought of that. I'll be checking with Verizon about international use. :) I appreciate the warning, though.

I'm curious about the concert...who is the entertainment?
Also, us Wisconsinites got the winter driving down pat! :thumbsup2
(no clue about Toronto though)

ps. Sorry about not going to a warm weather destination...I totally get that!
Old Dominion, who by all accounts, are fantastic in concert. One thing I didn't mention is because all the seats were sold out, he got VIP tickets (with an acoustic concert before the real concert) and tickets for the pit right in front of the stage (ie no seats)...so picture an overweight, middle-aged midwestern woman who is an extreme introvert huddled as close to the edge as she can get. *sigh*

How difficult is driving around Toronto and in the downtown area? My husband has decided it is a great idea to take a road trip to Toronto, from WI, in February. :sad2: :rolleyes2 To say I am less than thrilled with this idea would be a gross understatement, but my Christmas present (tickets he bought me) are for a concert in Toronto ~ in February, for a band I've mentioned once I liked one of their songs. :confused: You know how when a song comes on and you say "oh, I like this song"?

So, alas, my hoped-for warm weather vacation has turned into Toronto ~ in February. :sad:

Anyway, I've never been to Toronto and since we'll be driving our personal vehicle, I'm wondering how easy or difficult it is to drive/navigate around there.
It’s not bad really. Just like any large city. Slow going. Parking of course is expensive and at times hard to locate. When going on for an event or a day we will often take the train.

This, I was there in July, but I was passing through on a bicycle. It didn't seem to be too busy of a city, much less than Pittsburgh of which I am familiar with.

Definitely think of the cell phone thing. We didn't and upon entering Canada with 350+ miles to go on bicycles before crossing back to the US, we realized that we weren't going to have any help from Google maps on the phones because none of our phones worked.

The worst was finding the ferry out of commission on the NY side while we were on the Canada side trying to contact a way across. We stood on the edge of the dock and reached until we could pick up signal from the NY towers, LOL.

Wonder why. I have a Florida area code and mine is used constantly for months at a time. $75 per month.

Old Dominion, who by all accounts, are fantastic in concert. One thing I didn't mention is because all the seats were sold out, he got VIP tickets (with an acoustic concert before the real concert) and tickets for the pit right in front of the stage (ie no seats)...so picture an overweight, middle-aged midwestern woman who is an extreme introvert huddled as close to the edge as she can get. *sigh*
It actually sounds pretty awesome! Have a great time!

This, I was there in July, but I was passing through on a bicycle. It didn't seem to be too busy of a city, much less than Pittsburgh of which I am familiar with.

Definitely think of the cell phone thing. We didn't and upon entering Canada with 350+ miles to go on bicycles before crossing back to the US, we realized that we weren't going to have any help from Google maps on the phones because none of our phones worked.

The worst was finding the ferry out of commission on the NY side while we were on the Canada side trying to contact a way across. We stood on the edge of the dock and reached until we could pick up signal from the NY towers, LOL.
Again not sure why. I use google maps every day, txt data, phone. No problems. Same with the Canadian phone in the US when that phone is there. Never a problem.

Again not sure why. I use google maps every day, txt data, phone. No problems. Same with the Canadian phone in the US when that phone is there. Never a problem.
Don't know, I just know none of our phones worked. There were 5 of us. First morning the girl at the campground office printed up Google maps for us for our next 2 days as there was no WIFI at the campground. The rest of the week we were able to load the maps in the morning on WIFI and had them the rest of the day. Only now and then did we get a connection to actual cellular signal.

Toronto is a city I don't drive in, but then I'm from Ottawa, so it's scary in comparison lol

BUT, I HAVE driven through Toronto twice in my life, and despite the traffic during rush hour, I was able to get to where I needed to go with no harm. Montreal is far easier to get lost in, I find.

The portion of the 401 that goes through Toronto is actually the busiest highway (with 18 lanes) in North America apparently, so do keep that in mind. I know it seems like it's not a busy city compared to big city centres like NYC, but apparently looks can be deceiving! ... or they have better infrastructure? lol

Oh, I should also mention, that public transportation is actually pretty good, and if you're in the downtown core, it's really easy to get to all the good stuff! There is a Ripley's Aquarium close by to the CN Tower. :)
I took my ladies to Toronto for my bachelorette in 2018. ^_^

I don't think it is bad, as far as major cities go. I'd much rather drive in Toronto than in Chicago, D.C. or L.A.! But the public transit is excellent, so when we're there we often just leave our car in the hotel lot and get around without it. My main concern about driving in Feb. would be the possibility of hitting a snow storm on that long, flat stretch of western Ontario, but I'm not sure you'd even be traveling that way coming from Wisconsin.

As far as phones go, we can add Canadian talk/text to our plan for a nominal charge but international data costs an arm and a leg. So our work-around has been Tim Hortons. They have free public wifi and good coffee and they are *everywhere* in Ontario, at least in the parts we've driven through, so they're the perfect place to stop to do a quick map update or otherwise deal with travel details that require a connection to the internet.

I don't think it is bad, as far as major cities go. I'd much rather drive in Toronto than in Chicago, D.C. or L.A.! But the public transit is excellent, so when we're there we often just leave our car in the hotel lot and get around without it. My main concern about driving in Feb. would be the possibility of hitting a snow storm on that long, flat stretch of western Ontario, but I'm not sure you'd even be traveling that way coming from Wisconsin.

As far as phones go, we can add Canadian talk/text to our plan for a nominal charge but international data costs an arm and a leg. So our work-around has been Tim Hortons. They have free public wifi and good coffee and they are *everywhere* in Ontario, at least in the parts we've driven through, so they're the perfect place to stop to do a quick map update or otherwise deal with travel details that require a connection to the internet.
We'll be going down around Lake Michigan, through Chicago, but I am not sure if we'll be crossing at Detroit or Port Huron. Weather is my biggest concern right now.

Not sure why you are so confused that different phone plans charge differently.

My parents have Verizon, and when they cross the border into Canada they got a text telling them they are in Canada, but that their plan covers Canada the same as the US, so nothing different for access or charges.
My OWN plan... is AT&T. They do not do that. When I cross the border into Canada I get a text saying that I am in Canada and if I would like international access I can either pay by the minute/GB or I can pay a flat $10/day extra to use my US plan allotment in Canada that day. I have paid it before, but usually I just turn my phone off. The per min/gb charges are ridiculous.

I have been to Toronto several times, though never in the winter. I love it there, but the traffic from Buffalo ALL the way up to Toronto is often terrible. Traffic in the city itself is busy, but not horrible. Have good maps. It is not fun to be lost in that much traffic with generally nowhere to stop/park to revisit your directions.

We'll be going down around Lake Michigan, through Chicago, but I am not sure if we'll be crossing at Detroit or Port Huron. Weather is my biggest concern right now.

Having done that drive via both routes (I live about halfway between the two crossings, right on the border), I'd say the Detroit/Windsor route is a bit easier in lousy weather because it is more developed and more heavily travelled so it gets plowed and salted more quickly. It also has somewhat fewer open stretches where white-out conditions can develop in a squall. But the Port Huron/Sarnia crossing makes for the more pleasant drive on the 99% of days when blowing snow isn't an issue. That's the way we almost always go now that the ferry we used to take across is no longer in service. There's usually less of a backup at the bridge and always less traffic throughout the whole area, on both sides of the border. So I'd recommend playing it by ear as far as where to cross and deciding when you have a short-range weather forecast to work with.

DS26 & his fiancee went and used Uber for the most part. They left the car and used public transportation & Uber. She had verizon and was able to use her phone in Canada. DS had AT&T and could not, without additional charges. They loved Toronto and said they’d go back some day. They were to be vacationing in WDW but a hurricane was heading that way and WDW closed for 2 days, with a day or 2 ahead announcement. They were on the phone canceling WDW, and looking at going to Toronto quickly. A bit sad of the WDW cancellation but once on the road they were fine and had a blast in Toronto

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter