Driving in Japan

zavandor

DIS Veteran
I'm in early stages of planning a trip at the end of November 2024. We'll go back to Tokyo and TDR, of course, but since last time we went we focused on cities (Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo), this time the idea is to roam a bit more to enjoy the fall colors and visit smaller towns and parks.
I think it would probably be easier, having to change hotel most nights, to rent a car rather than using public transport. Last time we had the Japan Rail Pass and it was excellent, but I can see the car being the best solution.

Any comment? I plan to use Google maps with a local SIM for getting directions. I know we'll need an international driving license.

Also, have you made a similar trip for the Fall colors and can you recommend an itinerary?

Thank you!

Haven't driven in Japan, but we often rent cars in Europe and have rented a car in Patagonia. I say go for it if you are comfortable driving in a foreign country. Looks like it might be the "right" side of the road for you ;)

I've only driven in Okinawa where free parking is plentiful near attractions. In cities like Osaka and Tokyo, you'll have to figure out how to pay for parking at the coin+$1K yen bill parking lots. If you can't read Japanese, you'll want to familiarize yourself with parking before your trip.

I am in awe of the bravery of anyone who doesn’t know Japanese and rents a car in Japan. I would be terrified!

I am in awe of the bravery of anyone who doesn’t know Japanese and rents a car in Japan. I would be terrified!
I just don't know what to expect, not brave 🤣
I've only driven in Okinawa where free parking is plentiful near attractions. In cities like Osaka and Tokyo, you'll have to figure out how to pay for parking at the coin+$1K yen bill parking lots. If you can't read Japanese, you'll want to familiarize yourself with parking before your trip.
I would not drive in a big city, I would rent a car when I'm ready to leave Tokyo. Thanks for the tip, I'll look for videos or guides.about paying for parking.

I just don't know what to expect, not brave 🤣

I would not drive in a big city, I would rent a car when I'm ready to leave Tokyo. Thanks for the tip, I'll look for videos or guides.about paying for parking.
Don't forget about the expressway tolls, too! They're much higher than you might expect. A trip from Tokyo to Kyoto is a bit over US$77 right now.

More information: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2354.html

Don't forget about the expressway tolls, too! They're much higher than you might expect. A trip from Tokyo to Kyoto is a bit over US$77 right now.

More information: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2354.html
Wow!
Public transit is a foreign country terrifies me, but those tolls are pretty terrifying in their own right. How much is that Rail Pass?

I will never again look at the tolls around LA or Seattle and think, “that’s ridiculous” again.

Wow!
Public transit is a foreign country terrifies me, but those tolls are pretty terrifying in their own right. How much is that Rail Pass?

I will never again look at the tolls around LA or Seattle and think, “that’s ridiculous” again.
The nationwide rail pass had a huge price increase in October, so it's selling for nearly double what it used to be. The basic 7-day pass is ~US$336 right now. You can also get a 14-day pass for ~US$538 and a 21-day pass for ~US$672. You'll have to price out a trip to see if it's worth buying a pass. Here's a nifty calculator: https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

There are many other regional rail passes. Some of them are worth it and some aren't. I find the time restrictions to be too tight in most cases, so I don't usually bother with them.

Yeah, no experience here doing so, but I already looked like a fool the other day at the Nissan Gallery in Yokohama when I jumped in a vehicle on the passenger side in Japan. One of the Nissan workers laughed and said, "Oh, American!" She had thought I might be British, but when I popped into the wrong side of the car for a photo, she knew. We had a good laugh together about it.

I think I'll wait 'til I take a rural trip before hitting the road in Japan driving on the opposite side of the road. But I like your travel idea a lot! You could chase the fall colors around a bit!

We drove in Shikoku this past March to see the Iya Valley. It is spectacular and I’d highly recommend if you want to get off the beaten path.

Driving on the left wasn’t too much of an issue. The toll roads are quite expensive so you need to be prepared for that. If you take your time and plan it out ahead, you shouldn’t have an issue.

I don’t think I’d want to do a lot of city driving. There are many one way streets and just the traffic volume would be stressful. Then there is the issue of parking. We did have to park at a restaurant in a city. They had these crazy tire locks. We got in easy enough but couldn’t figure out how to get out. Luckily, a 12 year old happened along and helped us. 😄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter