Dumbo- kids can ride alone?

conandrob240

DIS Veteran
Trying to maximize FP+ and get the kids an extra ride. Can a 9 year old and a 6 year old (both very tall for their ages) each ride Dumbo all alone? To clarify, we will be with them on line just don't want to waste a FP+ on the 3 adults. I figure we can FP+ Dumbo for the two kids and then FP+ Space for 3 people (one adult to take same two kids- switching bands). Just want to be sure they can ride alone before going down this path... We already have FP for 7DMT and Peter Pan that day for everyone.

6 year old needs someone 14 or older and without FP no one can wait with them in line even if not riding. not going to work even without 6 year old of wanting ti be in line with them

Previous posters are correct. You must be 7 to ride alone and you can't get in line with them.

We normally use the the stand by line, because if you use the SB line, you get a pager and you can let the kids play while you sit in a nice air conditioned play area. When your pager goes off, get in line to ride. It can work out pretty good.

Okay then I need to switch it I think.

We could easily say 7 though- he is a foot taller than every other kid in his grade.

They'd also be fine in the line alone. Decisions, decisions.

That's my DS too! Everyone thinks he's older, but he's only 8. People are usually so surprised when they learn he's only 8!!

Dumbo is also one of those rides that the line is much shorter later in the day. The nine year old, may also be pretty much over Dumbo. I really would rethink using a FP on that one as well. We really do enjoy standby line on this one as the Adults get a cool place to wait while the kids play in a very cool area.

I wouldn't use a FP on Dumbo because the kids enjoy the playground. Your oldest may or may not want to play though. ODS turned 7 on our trip and he's tall for his age anyway. He rode RNR on his 7th birthday SR line and they never asked how old he was, but as others have said by the rules kids must be 7 to ride alone.

You know your child and how they would act & behave in the line and ride. My girls have always been tall for their ages, 5'10 at 12, and I'd let them go on rides alone at the 6 year mark...I know, let the "I'm a horrible mother" comments start. Especially with an older sibling, would that help? Or would they mess around more? Will something magically happen in 6 months, or however many, when the little one becomes 7, or are they ready to try dumbo, a super easy, non dark, ride now?

Okay then I need to switch it I think.

We could easily say 7 though- he is a foot taller than every other kid in his grade.

They'd also be fine in the line alone. Decisions, decisions.

Regardless of his height, he may get asked his age, or he may not. Depends on the CM that day. And in our experience, they always ask the child directly, even if parents are right there. So if you choose to go this route, just understand that he'll be the one you're asking to lie. (Not judging, just informing. I know some people feel differently about lying themselves vs encouraging their child to lie.)

if they can go alone, it's sort of a bonus FP for us. The real desire is Space for 2 kids & husband but I was thinking we could also get 2 people on Dumbo.

We plan on splitting FP+ the same way, the difference being we have two adults riding Space and the other adult riding Dumbo with DD. So I get the logic, but technically you're supposed to be 7 or older to ride without an adult.

When we were last there, in December 2015, the CMs counting people into the loading bay were asking all of the children riding alone how old they were. My DDs aged 11 and 9 were riding together and were asked their age.

Just asked my kids if the CM's asked them how old they were when they were in line without us. My kids were 7 and 9 when we were there in Oct.
My 7 year old said he was asked by every single CM how old he was.

They won't be old enough to ride alone, but just as a side note. I have never had any problems adding dumbo as an additional FP after my initial 3 or more are gone. Usually, I can add a FP for it with a window that's only 5-10 minutes out so we can add it and ride it almost immediately. I wouldn't bother trying to FP it as your initial 3 if it's conflicting with your plans.

You know your child and how they would act & behave in the line and ride. My girls have always been tall for their ages, 5'10 at 12, and I'd let them go on rides alone at the 6 year mark...I know, let the "I'm a horrible mother" comments start. Especially with an older sibling, would that help? Or would they mess around more? Will something magically happen in 6 months, or however many, when the little one becomes 7, or are they ready to try dumbo, a super easy, non dark, ride now?

It is simply because it is the rule of the park you are in. They needed a cut off age, and that is the one they chose.

I wouldn't do it. You could end up in essence wasting a couple of fast passes on a ride they were not allowed to go on.

Also, keep in mind it is against the rules of the Disboards to ask how to get around any of Disney's rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter