DVC is Considering new Transportation Buses

When we were down in early May, there were alot of buses with "Training" on their signs go by at MK. We must of had a newbie going to MGM from VWL, he managed to pull into a spot at FW that wasn't a bus stop and just about got the bus stuck trying to get out of it.

:happytv: :lmao: :goodvibes :rotfl2: :thumbsup2 :rotfl: :woohoo:

Mike©;20270420 said:
OK ! I'm stumped!! Since when did DVC start having members vote on anything????:confused3 :rotfl2:

we use to vote on a bunch of things. like the pool at oKW, sharing the bus with the DI, don't remember the other things.

I think this would be a change in policy. and we would have to vote on it. (I think)

now not everyone gets to vote - they do a sample (?) not sure if they are changing policy.

Disney is again hiring bus drivers and maids.

this is the 4th time this year that Disney is trying to get bus drivers.

we use to vote on a bunch of things. like the pool at oKW, sharing the bus with the DI, don't remember the other things.

I think this would be a change in policy. and we would have to vote on it. (I think)

now not everyone gets to vote - they do a sample (?) not sure if they are changing policy.

It would be very easy for us all to vote and it would cost Disney virtually nothing. We all have a secure login to dvcmember. We could vote on a ballot there that would only allow us each to vote once. It would work perfectly.

It would be very easy for us all to vote and it would cost Disney virtually nothing. We all have a secure login to dvcmember. We could vote on a ballot there that would only allow us each to vote once. It would work perfectly.

No it wouldn't...if it is a vote required for a major change in resort amenities or design (ie replacing the beds in an OKW studio with a bed/sofa) Disney would need to watch their legal Ps & Qs, as this falls under FL timeshare law. Not all members have internet access, and all members have to be given the opportunity and notification to vote...that is best accomplished through the normal snail mail system. It would be a special vote/election.
Then an independent auditor/accounting firm would have to tally the votes, just like for stockholders.

The aforementioned vote on the OKW pool and bus sharing was done through a select sampling, as it was a non-binding vote..Disney had the right to do as they pleased on adding the pool, as long as they paid for it...as outlined in the POS. (BTW the advisory vote on the pool from members was overwhelmingly "No." The question was whether DVCers would be willing to fund the construction of the pool (that would require a full vote). If the preliminary poll had been "Yes", then there likely would have been a second full vote of the membership for approval of the pool.

As far as the bus system goes, they probably have the right to do as they wish, too. Except that it was represented at purchase that the resorts would use the WDW transportation system...to withdraw from that system may require a vote. If the WDW transportation system decided to outsource their drivers, that would NOT require a vote, as DVC resorts would still be served by the WDW transportation, under their normal operations. I don't see DVC withdrawing from WDW Transportation, it would cost Disney too much $$$.

I thought we signed over our right to vote to Disney...

Also, We were there the week after Easter staying at SSR. We did have a few long waits for buses (45 mins +). Was it annoying, yes. Was it the normal wait, no. I think we can all expect some delay once in a while. After all they may be very good at forecasting demand for buses, but certainly not perfect. We too noticed many "training" buses.

I would rather see them invest in an advanced GPS logistics system than out-source the drivers. Lets face it, those drivers just do what dispatch tells them to do.

The consistant thing we heard from Drivers was how much diesel DT was using. Maybe a hybrid fleet is another good option. I thin a company like Laidlaw is far more qualified than Mears. I was not impressed with ME. Our pickup time was 4:00pm, we finially got picked up at 5:15, then they wouldn't even let the 4:30 people on. The bus went to MCO with a total of about 11 people on it.

I thought we signed over our right to vote to Disney...

That depends...if it is a change that would substantially change what we purchased at our home resort (room configurations, adding amenities at members expense, etc.) then a vote would most likely be required under FL timeshare law.

If Disney chooses to add amenities at their expense, with the maintenance on the amenity coming from member dues, they have that right under the POS.

If Disney Transport chooses to sub-contract the drivers, then they can do that without a vote, as Disney Transport is still the major contractor providing the services, if Disney Transport would dissolve, and DVC had to get another company to do transport, or if DVC chose to withdraw from Disney Transport, that may or may not require a vote, depending upon interpretation of the amenity. If the private contractor is providing basically the same service as Disney transport, then nothing as represented has substantially changed. If the service is different from what Disney provides, ie, service to Universal & Seas World, but not Disney, then that would likely require a vote as that would be a substantial change to what was represented when we purchased.

For most management decisions, day to day resort operations, employee matters, dues approval, etc...you are correct, the members have given a board member the right to vote on their behalf.

we use to vote on a bunch of things. like the pool at oKW,
Although I wan't a member when the pool at OKW was voted on, a number of members from OKW told me (unsolicited-it's amazing what people say after a while in Gurgling Suitcase) that when the pool (actually the pool slide) was voted on, it was voted down. Yet, a few years later, it got put in anyways. Some members were VERY vocal in their unhappiness-like I said, especially after a few drinks at Gurgling Suitcase. I always wondered-is that the way the vote really went?

I always wondered-is that the way the vote really went?

Yes, the pool slide was voted down...but the question was actually whether OKW owners would fund the construction of the pool slide. Disney/DVD has always had the right to add it, at their expense and pass the maintenance along to DVC members via our dues.. But if they want to build new amenities at members expense, it has to be voted upon. It wasn't a formal vote, if the vote would have been yes, there would probably have been another vote by all OKW members on record.

They don't. They call me directly. "crisi, would you mind if we outsourced the valets?" "crisi, we are thinking about DVC at the Contemporary, what do you think" I told them they could go ahead and outsource the valets and the bus drivers, but they definitely shouldn't put a DVC at the Contemporary.

Don't they call you, too?

ROTFLMAO !!!!:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

before it was questionaire in the mail.

now I think it would be a questionaire again - but over the internet.

cheaper and faster. Unless they decide to change the policy. then those members without internet access would probably get a survey in the mail. but I don't know - don't they give a phone number for those with internet access. You might take it over the phone?

DW and I were at SSR in July/Aug, we visited all the parks except MGM, rained that day. We left late, very close to closing every night, we never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus, and only once had to stand. So I really don't see the problem, I'm sure there are times when it's busier but during those times you wait for everything. As for OP sounds like an employee worrying about his job being farmed out.

Voting is a mute issue

The only time we have a vote is if the dues will increase over 15%.

I doubt this issue would trip it up that much.

I would rather see them invest in an advanced GPS logistics system than out-source the drivers. Lets face it, those drivers just do what dispatch tells them to do.

The consistant thing we heard from Drivers was how much diesel DT was using. Maybe a hybrid fleet is another good option. .

the best option would be dedicated roads just for onsite busses with transponders to change lights in there favor(cheap version on monorail)less time in trafic so less fuel,and more reason not to hire a car as transport to parks will be quicker,ergo more buses per hour
Paulh

The consistant thing we heard from Drivers was how much diesel DT was using. Maybe a hybrid fleet is another good option. .

I wonder if there are conversion kits for bus diesel engines??

You hear of diesel engines burning used cooking oil. I guess you filter it to get rid of the contaminants and it is then good to burn.

Disney, I'm sure, has gallons of used cooking oil they can use for this purpose.

Just returned from WDW. Stayed at BCV. One day the driver picked us up from MK and then spoke to a friend on her cell phone as she drove us back to the hotel. Never said one word to us (hi, bye, see ya). It was obvious it was a personal call. Not only is that nuts, it is dangerous too. (A bus!) Not all Disney drivers are perfect. My point is...an outside bus company isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I take all rumors for what they're worth...not much. They're interesting to talk about in a hypothetical but I don't put much stock in them.

If I had to vote, I'd be against it. I don't think the Valet worked out too well (phantom charges, ect...) and unless they limited these buses to DVC members or people staying at DVC resorts, and actually checked IDs I'd be against it. These buses would be different than the resort buses so an AP or regular park admission shouldn't give you access to a DVC bus if this rumor were true.

I wonder if the new computer system that was just installed on the buses is a prelude to a driver change. The system gives the driver his route assignments, reports to dispatch the bus location and the number of passengers on board. It also makes the announcements so the driver doesn't talk anymore. :idea:

Our observation - on average, our longest bus/transportation waits are at SSR.

As far as outsourcing, that is the current trend in corporate America. At my senior leadership meetings this past year, potential areas for outsourcing has been on each agenda. Certain functions have been outsourced and discussions are left open as to other areas that have potetnial to be outsourced. In my company, the outsourcing unfortunately goes to other countries. I would rather keep the jobs in the US. Initially on paper, the numbers look good but for my department, it has been too soon tell if it is cost effective or a if there has been a drop in quality. Haven't I been reading that WDW is having a hard time filling jobs. Outsourcing will place the burden and liabilities elsewhere. If WDW does continue to outsource (ex. valet service) I hope their high standards of past are not compromised. I know DH had issues with valet last week. We had issues Easter week but chalked it up to the crowds. Our trip prior to that, we made excuses that it was a new program. We ran out of excuses for them this last week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter