Easter Dinner menu??

Dismom+two

<font color=purple>Dh and I always refer to it as
Easter is just around the corner...what is everyone planning to serve?? I am always looking for something different to add.
I am always stumped about dessert for Easter. What are you having??

We rarely deviate from our "usual" Easter dinner. We always spend the holiday with another family and we'd all be disappointed if there was something different! It's ham, scalloped potatoes, sweet potato & apple casserole, broccoli salad, dinner rolls, and whatever else we might feel like adding.

Dessert is one thing that isn't carved in stone, however. This year, I think I'm going to get the bunny cake mold from Williams Sonoma and give that a try. If it doesn't turn out well, I can always break up the pieces of cake and make trifle! ;)

We already had our Easter get together with friends here, since everyone is going away for Spring Break and will be gone at EAster. I made a Carrot Cake and everyone LOVED it, even the kiddos.

Have a great meal!
Katy

Dessert is one thing that isn't carved in stone, however. This year, I think I'm going to get the bunny cake mold from Williams Sonoma and give that a try. If it doesn't turn out well, I can always break up the pieces of cake and make trifle! ;)

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: I would never think of doing that!! When life hands you lemons.....make a trifle!!:rotfl:

Meal:

Sprial Ham
scalloped potatoes
Pineapple stuffing - this is the BEST EVER!! Especially at Easter!!
Candied sweet potatoes
Asparagus w/Hollidaise sause
Lime jello mold - very yummy with green grapes, crushed pineapple
Homemade rolls

Dessert:

Coconut pie -my favorite ;)
Fruit Tart - my DD loves these so I'm hoping to find one at a bakery so I can get away with not making it
Easter Bunny Cake - very festive

I enjoy my Easter meal more than Thanksgiving. All the sweet yummy flavors along side the ham is the best!! I can't wait

Pineapple stuffing????:confused3 Would you be willing to post that recipe? I'd love to see it!

Pineapple stuffing????:confused3 Would you be willing to post that recipe? I'd love to see it!

but it's the one we use every Easter..very simple, and very good

Pineapple Stuffing

3/4 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup butter (softened)
13.25 ounce can pineapple, crushed and drained
6-7 eggs
8 slices of white bread

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs to mixture and beat lightly. Add bread (cubed with no crust). Drain pineapple and stir in
Bake at 350 in 9 x 13 pan for 1 hour

We won't be having our usual meal this year. My parents moved into a retirement home this past summer & they have a lovely brunch on Sundays so we're planning to do that.

Our "usual" meal included ham, green bean casserole, corn pudding, sweet potatoes in some form, green Jello salad & rolls. Sometimes we'd have dandelion or endive with hot bacon dressing. As a kid I never cared for either of those, but love the dressing on lettuce. ;) Dessert was usually either rhubarb custard or cheesecake if Easter came too early for the rhubarb.

We always have borscht (not beet) with polish sausage, ham and easter eggs. We need lots of prayers and good vibes because my Grandma passed away this past year, so this will be our first time trying to make it on our own. We only have a rough recipe because Grandma didn't have measurements, just a little of this and a little of that. AAHH! :scared1:

Pineapple Stuffing

3/4 Cup sugar
6-7 eggs
8 slices of white bread

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs to mixture and beat lightly. Add bread (cubed with no crust). Drain pineapple and stir in

YES THIS IS IT!!! It may not look that appealing but let me tell you, you won't be disappointed!!!

We sometimes have turkey, but roast lamb is also traditional. For pudding I usually do a version of simnel cake, using mincemeat (like Christmas, not beef:rotfl2: ) and marzipan, but I've just got the recipe for an Austrian plum cake which I'm going to try out this week.:goodvibes

I am starting to plan the meal now. Just found out we are having Easter at our house this year (thanks dh!) Now if I only knew how many people were actually coming. ;)

I would love to do lamb, but I am the only one who enjoys it, so Ham it will be - maybe with raspberry sauce.
Thanks for the pineapple stuffing idea! I had never heard of it, and sounds great with ham. I am leaning toward new potatoes at this point, deviled eggs (with hard egg whites dyed served on bed of parsley), carrots, sugar snap peas. My MIL wants to bring a new recipe she has for jello-o salad - actually sounded pretty good. A local bakery has "honey bunnies": bread shaped like a bunny, then baked. It serves 12 and is really cute. Have to get my order in! A great, great aunt always does the dessert - fruit pies for Easter.
Still struggling with appetizers - we will have fresh fruit, but wanted additional items, perhaps with seafood? Any ideas?

Pineapple Stuffing

3/4 Cup sugar
6-7 eggs
8 slices of white bread

ohh that sounds yummy.

Pineapple Stuffing
3/4 Cup sugar
6-7 eggs
8 slices of white bread

I wonder - I assume it is meant to be served immediately? I am getting very concerned regarding oven space/timing for Easter dinner!

Does anyone feel it is necessary to have bread slices/mayo/mustard/cheese slices etc. available when serving ham at Easter? I always ate ham "as is" sliced at Easter dinner, and if you were lucky enough to get any leftovers, you had a ham sandwich the next day. A friend told me they always have these things at their table on Easter dinner in case someone didn't wan't "just ham" as an entree. What is everyone's take on this? Doesn't it make it much more informal? (which is fine if that is what you are going for, but I'm not right now). :confused3

We always have borscht (not beet) with polish sausage, ham and easter eggs. We need lots of prayers and good vibes because my Grandma passed away this past year, so this will be our first time trying to make it on our own. We only have a rough recipe because Grandma didn't have measurements, just a little of this and a little of that. AAHH! :scared1:

:grouphug: :grouphug:

It will be wonderful:goodvibes Hopefully with lots of laughter and sharing of good memories of your Grandma - and enjoying the not-beet-borscht:)

...a good friend of mine makes a great one - I'll call her and post the recipe, just in case;);) LOL!

Have a wonderful holiday everyone - sounds like there's going to be great food and family celebrations everywhere:goodvibes

:sunny:

Does anyone feel it is necessary to have bread slices/mayo/mustard/cheese slices etc. available when serving ham at Easter? I always ate ham "as is" sliced at Easter dinner, and if you were lucky enough to get any leftovers, you had a ham sandwich the next day. A friend told me they always have these things at their table on Easter dinner in case someone didn't wan't "just ham" as an entree. What is everyone's take on this? Doesn't it make it much more informal? (which is fine if that is what you are going for, but I'm not right now). :confused3

I agree - having those things available would make it much more informal and Easter is one of the few times each year our family still has a "formal" meal. It's nice once in a while. I've never known anyone who didn't feel "just ham" was unacceptable! That's why you have all those side dishes, like potatoes, rolls & veggie casseroles! :lmao:

I am thinking of having deviled eggs stuffed with crab as one of the appetizers.... I read a recipe where you can dip the (hard boiled)egg white in beet juice for a minute (then drain on paper towel) before you stuff it so it looks like a pink egg. Supposedly it doesn't alter the taste. What is everyone's thoughts - I'm wondering if it would be too "pinky". Has anyone tried that?

I am thinking of having deviled eggs stuffed with crab as one of the appetizers.... I read a recipe where you can dip the (hard boiled)egg white in beet juice for a minute (then drain on paper towel) before you stuff it so it looks like a pink egg. Supposedly it doesn't alter the taste. What is everyone's thoughts - I'm wondering if it would be too "pinky". Has anyone tried that?

I have to question whether that would work for more than turning the outside a pale pink. You see, I'm PA Dutch & we love red beet aka pickled eggs. One of the main complaints everyone has is that it takes too long for the egg whites to turn pink all the way through. It usually takes at least a day for even the outside to turn a dark pink/red.

As for the taste...we pickle ours and it takes 4 or 5 days before they really have a good "pickle" taste. So a quick dip wouldn't give them any taste I'd think.

My grandmother used to add red food coloring to the juice to get them dark. She also said that heating the juice first U putting the eggs in hot made them take the color faster/better.

ETA: I forgot to ask...would you post the recipe for stuffing them with crab? That sounds awesome!! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter