Egypt 2011 ***IMPORTANT UPDATE 2/4/11 Post # 190***

I think this Egypt itinerary is very interesting. Two concerns or areas I would like to hear perspectives/comments on:
1) price as this seems rather expensive for a family of 4
2) safety/security

Anyone know what vacations might cost to go to Egypt on average to comment on this cost? I recognize that Disney handles everything and there is a cost for that, but for a family of 4 and knowing this isn't the full cost of trip (airfare isn't included for example), very expensive vacation. Any comments? I wouldn't ever go to a place like this and not do a guided tour type vacation but we're talking a vacation of >$20K when you add it all up.

I've read some mixed reviews on safety/security aspects in traveling to Egypt. Anyone have any first hand experiences to share vs what I could also read online about safety and security considerations?

I've traveled to other foreign countries. In India for example, I've seen armed guards in airport and stayed in hotel that did the bomb/bags/security checks for any entry on their grounds or into their hotel. While that was a little unsettling, during my stay, I saw nothing outside of these checks that caused me to feel my safety was a concern when there where I went. When in Europe due to our Med Disney cruise this past Spring, we were cognizant of petty theft that could arise in places like Rome or Barcelona. We know there was theft going on in metro in Rome when we were there though we never saw it but in Barcelona we were targeted by a pair of pick pocketers. It was alarming but we knew what to expect before we went and in reality, while I was frazzled by that experience, we didn't feel our life was threatened in anyway, they just wanted to try to get some money and pick our pockets (which they were unsuccessful at and got caught). I also know we have places in the US that someone can get robbed, hurt or aren't so safe. I'm trying to understand what others feel about this given Disney's states they will have police guard/security throughout the trip.

The price for this trip is in line with other ABD trips, including the China trip I took my 2 oldest on 2 years ago. After being on the trip and adding up the various costs of hotel, air flights etc, I had a hard time figuring out how Disney was making money on the trip. The amenities and services received were well worth the cost.

The Egyptian government is providing the security. They do so for all organized tour groups.

I think this Egypt itinerary is very interesting. Two concerns or areas I would like to hear perspectives/comments on:
2) safety/security

Anyone know what vacations might cost to go to Egypt on average to comment on this cost? I recognize that Disney handles everything and there is a cost for that, but for a family of 4 and knowing this isn't the full cost of trip (airfare isn't included for example), very expensive vacation. Any comments? I wouldn't ever go to a place like this and not do a guided tour type vacation but we're talking a vacation of >$20K when you add it all up.

Actually, we are budgeting 20K for the seven night trip for a family of 3. I think a family of 4 would push it much closer to 25K. Airfare from the southeast looks to be over $1100 pp right now. But I'll tell you, Egypt is not a country where I'd try to do a trip on the cheap!

2) safety/security

I've read some mixed reviews on safety/security aspects in traveling to Egypt. Anyone have any first hand experiences to share vs what I could also read online about safety and security considerations?

I've traveled to other foreign countries. In India for example, I've seen armed guards in airport and stayed in hotel that did the bomb/bags/security checks for any entry on their grounds or into their hotel. While that was a little unsettling, during my stay, I saw nothing outside of these checks that caused me to feel my safety was a concern when there where I went. When in Europe due to our Med Disney cruise this past Spring, we were cognizant of petty theft that could arise in places like Rome or Barcelona. We know there was theft going on in metro in Rome when we were there though we never saw it but in Barcelona we were targeted by a pair of pick pocketers. It was alarming but we knew what to expect before we went and in reality, while I was frazzled by that experience, we didn't feel our life was threatened in anyway, they just wanted to try to get some money and pick our pockets (which they were unsuccessful at and got caught). I also know we have places in the US that someone can get robbed, hurt or aren't so safe. I'm trying to understand what others feel about this given Disney's states they will have police guard/security throughout the trip.

I am going to Egypt in 4 months with Lindblad Expeditions/National Geographic. I did a lot of research before making this decision (the other finalist was Abercrombie & Kent). I have done an AbD before (London/Paris) and have travelled through Italy, Switzerland, China and Tibet without doing a group thing. So I feel that I'm unbiased and a bit seasoned with different experiences than just AbD.

AbD is a bit expensive but not too far off the spectrum of a higher quality group tour. Our National Geographic tour is highly rated by both Conde Nast and Travel & Leisure. We are staying in slightly better hotels (4 Seasons and Oberoi-both rated 5 star on TripAdvisor vs Disney's hotel rating of 4.5). The ship used for the cruise is also a bit higher rated than AbD's but not by much.

We are staying 8 nights and are paying almost $1000 less (for 2 people) than AbD's 7 nights. Ours includes the same itinerary except we have one extra night at the pyramids where we can see them at night from our balcony and watch the light show there. Also, ours includes free laundry while on the cruise which is huge for us since we carry-on only type of travelers. They also offer the same extended trip that AbD is offering and they offer these tours almost year round so it's not necessary to travel during the hot months if you don't want.

I can say that we much prefer to travel on our own. For us, we don't think the benefits of group travel outweigh the downsides. Getting totally lost in Venice or finding ourselves at a restaurant in Beijing where no one spoke English and we didn't have enough RMB to pay for the dinner or get a taxi afterwards are examples of the best memories of my vacations. Additionally, the food is very different and important to us. However, I would not be comfortable travelling to Egypt alone (our tour, as all tours in Egypt, will have security travelling with us for the land portion). Italy and Switzerland were easy, China and Tibet took a bit more work but was a blast and we could have done London/Paris on our own but wanted to try AbD since we love Disney.

If you want to do a group tour, AbD offers a nice moderate tour with a very good cost to value ratio. There are many other tour operators that will give you more or less than AbD depending on what you are willing to pay.

We were happy enough with our AbD experience but we don't feel group travel is right for us in most circumstances. We would go again, I felt the price was fair for what we received. I'm looking forward to trying another operator to see how AbD compares.

Pakey, excellent insights! Please, please do post a comparison/report when you return! We are almost certainly doing Egypt next year, but we will not be booking for quite awhile. So, if your tour turns out to be great and a better deal for our family as compared to an ABD, that would be an option.

I can't remember, do you travel with any children? I find myself both more interested in predictability now that I have DD along, but also more determined to give her experience in finding her way in the world without always being taken care of. It's a fine line.

I cancelled our Egypt trip (within the 14 days). The more I looked at the itinerary, the less I liked it, in particular the cruise down the Nile. We've done quite a few cruises on large ships and I'm afraid the Nile cruise would be disappointing. This trip was plan B. Plan A was a Celebrity cruise to the same area with a 2 day stay in Alexandria. I'm back to plan A.

For those going - Have a wonderful trip.

Booked on the Dec. 2011 tour. We did Peru and decided we would never do another tour unless it is with ABD. As for the armed guards, no need to worry, I work in a prison where I have armed guards above and around me at all times. After a while you don't notice they are following with you. When you do not see them is the time you worry.

I'm sorry that you decided the trip isn't for you. I actually called ABD this morning to add the second "pre day" to our trip so we can do a separate viator tour Alexandria Day Trip to add on (it's 11 hours... 3 hour drive each way... and extra stuff to see in Alexandria).

I'm really excited about the trip next year and we are well on our way to planning for it (looking at an upgrade to my waterproof camera so I can take fish pictures in the red sea and long sleeved shirts that have a high spf that I can take that are light weight). DD is nervous about the armed guard deal... but we have started to significantly play it down so she doesn't fret for a whole year.

now... to get THIS year's paid off... so next year's is stress free.

Can someone tell me what is included in the pre and post day tours? I do not see info on the site(ABD) for these. Thanks.

I don't think that Egypt refuses admitance to those who have been in Israel. I am looking at alot of tour companies, and there are several companies that take groups from Eliat to Cairo and/or the Sinai and back. I think Syria and Lebanon refuese entry, but not Egypt. As a matter of fact you can walk across the border from Eliat to Taba for the day without getting a visa. They also offer Sinua only visas good for 14 days, as well as the 30 day all Egypt visas.

transfers are included no matter when you arrive (kind of sort of in a way)

Going to Italy was an adventure... we spent a whole extra 90 minutes waiting and hunting and hunting... and hunting... and hunting... for the person who was supposed to meet us at the airport...

She "said" she was waiting for us in the baggage claim area in Rome... funny... we claimed our baggage and wandered around there and didn't see the ABD sign... and we looked out where ALL of the "other" people meeting people with signs were waving signs around... and she wasn't THERE... AND we found out that the person meeting several others on our tour didn't seem to be anywhere around either when they landed... but magically showed up after an hour or so of waiting around trying to figure out what is going on... so... it is included but be sure you have your contact information for ABD handy in case you can't find them. This was the only time we had an issue with being met or anything and it wouldn't have been so difficult... but have you ever tried to figure out how to use an Italian pay phone? NOT a simple thing when you aren't tired and frustrated... :headache:

BUT... yeah... the transfers are included.

If you want a tour on your pre/post days you have to book those separately from the ABD tour.

One of the things ABD doesn't offer is the pyramid sound/light show at Giza, they may think that is too late for families. I am thinking of adding it independently for one of the Cairo nights.

I think we will do the same. Let me know of who you use to book and I will do the same. Thanks!

It's going to be some time, my trip isn't till December 2011. But what I am reading now says they provide transportation from Cairo hotels to the show. Just would need to work it in around ABD.

We are going Dec. 2011 also. Already can hardly wait! Just got back from the DC Baltic and had a great time.:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter