Entering with APs using the DL App

MonocularVision

One-Eyed American
We upgraded to AP’s on our last trip. Hard to tell from the info provided but can you use the app to enter the park? It has the barcodes for our AP’s now and it seems from the wording you can use it to enter. It specifically says you will need the card for getting discounts but seems to imply you can use it for entrance. Trying to figure out if our family just carrying one card in a phone case wallet would suffice for discounts or if I need to bring all 6 to the park.

You can definitely use the app to enter, however, in addition to needing the physical AP for discounts you also need them for Fastpass, presuming you’re not using MaxPass.

You can, but unless you have MP, you won't be able to pull FPs. You will need the physical card for that.

If you don't care about FP and only want entrance, I would screenshot the page with your AP's barcode in case the app isn't opening when you go to enter.

Honestly, though, it's less trouble to just have the AP cards with you.

You can definitely use the app to enter, however, in addition to needing the physical AP for discounts you also need them for Fastpass, presuming you’re not using MaxPass.

Awesome. We added MP to our APs so I think we are good. Thanks!

As I mentioned, still planning on bringing at least one with me for discounts. Didn’t want to carry all the kids passes around with me. We typically go in the morning, take a break at hotel for the half day (which would allow for phone recharge), and finish up the evening/night. If we really ended up needing their physical passes, we aren’t far from the hotel.

Didn’t realize I would encounter so much opposition to the idea, lol.

As I mentioned, still planning on bringing at least one with me for discounts. Didn’t want to carry all the kids passes around with me. We typically go in the morning, take a break at hotel for the half day (which would allow for phone recharge), and finish up the evening/night. If we really ended up needing their physical passes, we aren’t far from the hotel.

Didn’t realize I would encounter so much opposition to the idea, lol.

Think of it more as thoughts from experience and knowing things can go wrong. Having a back up is ideal. It's your choice what you do. I wouldn't want to be in the parks without my pass, though.

For me, my app is my back up if I for some reason ever forget my physical pass. I hate using it if I don't have to (a lot because I have to turn the brightness up quite high for the scanners to read it and I do not like my screen that bright). But I also only go with people who are in charge of their own passes so I only have my pass in my lanyard.

It should work out fine. If you have more than one smart phone with you, I would suggest putting the app and/or screenshots of the barcodes on both, that way you're covered if you run into technical difficulties. On my last trip I only had the app freeze up on me once, and that was resolved easily by restarting the app.

Think of it more as thoughts from experience and knowing things can go wrong. Having a back up is ideal. It's your choice what you do. I wouldn't want to be in the parks without my pass, though.

Gotcha. On our trip last week my wife pulled her phone out of her purse and her wallet ended up falling out. Amazingly, it turned up at Lost and Found later that day. So I think I am pondering ways to go to the park with less stuff, hence my phone wallet case idea. If my wife ends up bringing her purse then there would be no need to leave the kids’ APs behind though since she would have plenty of room.

Appreciate the advice!

Gotcha. On our trip last week my wife pulled her phone out of her purse and her wallet ended up falling out. Amazingly, it turned up at Lost and Found later that day. So I think I am pondering ways to go to the park with less stuff, hence my phone wallet case idea. If my wife ends up bringing her purse then there would be no need to leave the kids’ APs behind though since she would have plenty of room.

Appreciate the advice!

Oh that's both horrible (that it fell out) and so heartwarming (that it was turned in)!

I get trying to minimize what's taken. I have about five different bags I jump between depending on my goals and needs for the day. Everything from my Disney Store 30th Anniversary backpack to a tiny little side pouch that holds my phone, a charger, and a few cards. I've even used one of my running pouches before, lol!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll figure out what'll work best for you :)

They worked great in the app- but for sure bring the physical cards with you for backup! Disney is NOTORIOUS for IT issues. I haven't even gone to the parks for a whole week this year total and I've had multiple occasions where I needed my physical ticket (AP in your case) because my wifi/internet connection died.

We have all of our passes on all of our iPhones. We usually carry our passes too, but came in handy when my daughter forgot her wallet in the hotel, so I just pulled her pass up on my phone. But you do need the physical pass for discounts.

I exclusively used my phone to enter on my last vacation. It was much easier for me to grab my phone then take the card out of my wallet. We also had all of our passes on everyone's phones. We used one phone to enter for the group and just scrolled through the passes. It also made it really easy if we split up since we didn't have to figure it out who had the kids passes.

We lost my DH's AP card and just used the phone app for two trips. The only problem we had was pulling FP's for World of Color since you have to scan a card in order for that to work. Since we had more than one phone in our party, it worked out just fine. If one battery was low or the app wasn't loading, we'd jump on the other phone. (It helps that we have two different carriers).

You all are so trusting of technology!! I would feel like I'm missing something without having everyone's pass. I also don't want to be "that girl" who holds up the line at the ride or turnstile and gets angry stares because my phone decided to freeze lol

You all are so trusting of technology!! I would feel like I'm missing something without having everyone's pass. I also don't want to be "that girl" who holds up the line at the ride or turnstile and gets angry stares because my phone decided to freeze lol
My phone did freeze once when I was trying to redeem a FP, but we just stepped aside and let people pass while I restarted the app. It's not much different than being "that girl" who has to dig passes out of the bottom of their bag - either way if you're courteous it's not a big deal. That said I do carry our passes as well because I like to be over-prepared, but I'm not sure it's necessary if you have a second phone as backup already.

I would feel like I'm missing something without having everyone's pass.

Yep. I still wear a lanyard. They sell ‘em and I wear ‘em. I mean, it’s my Ravenclaw “school tie” lanyard, but still.

So I’m not even fishing things out from a purse. It’s literally right there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter