Enthusiastic about Genie+ touring

I didn't need to book them all in 1 day and I wouldn't want to. And btw, it would be pretty tough going to make all those rides even in 2 days, let alone 1 so the fact that technically I "might" be able to with Genie+- absolutely no guarantee that I could, it doesn't matter because I couldn't get to all of them in 1-2 days. A feature that has no practical use is useless. Your opinion that all rides will be available anytime during operating hours is not reasonable. They have never been able to satisfy demand on popular rides under any system.

see… that’s simply false. Under both MaxPass, paper FP, the paid system in Asia…. The popular rides remain available until late in the day.
Sure, by 8pm, they may get sold out. But plenty of availability through the entire day. Even for the “popular” rides.

True — they wouldn’t be able to satisfy demand if they gave every guest 3 passes to book far in advance. But if you limit guests to 1 at a time… limited to the guests willing to pay…
Then yes, you can control the demand and the passes will last almost the entire day.
This isn’t a guess — it’s based on actual practice at other parks.

10:00 -- G+ for Haunted Mansion. Book G+ Splash Mountain
10:20: ride the Riverboat
11: Ride Splash G+, book Jungle Cruise
11:30 -- Country Bears
12: G+ for Jungle Cruise, book G+ for Pirate
12:30 Hall of Presidents
1:00 Use G+ for Pirates, book BTMRR
1:30 -- Lunch
2:30 -- Use G+ for BTMRR,

Yes, much too optimistic. I think expecting you'll be able to book Splash at 10am for an 11:00 am return time, book JC at noon for a 1pm return time and BTMRR at 1 for a 2:30 return time is unrealistic. Splash and BTMRR are 2 of the most popular rides in the MK. To expect you'd be able to book the next hour up or 1.5 hrs up is not something I would expect, and when those 3 rides fall through, so does you entire plan for the day.

Now if you had FP+, you could ride SDMT during EE and my guess is get in line for PPF in that half hour. Have Splash, BTMRR, HM pre-booked at 11, 12 and 1 then most likely book 1 of those again for your return trip in the evening. Ride the other rides - Buzz, Mermaid, HOP, Small World, POC, Laugh Floor, Country Bears standby in the AM with little or no wait and you're done, or save a couple of those like Small World. Laugh Floor and Riverboat for the evening- waits are rarely long for those. You got them all in and it didn't cost you anything.

Last edited:
see… that’s simply false. Under both MaxPass, paper FP, the paid system in Asia…. The popular rides remain available until late in the day.

It's not false at all. I have no idea about Asia and not sure what that has to do with Florida, but I went dozens of time with paper FP and because we park hop, I'm well aware of the issues we had trying to get a fp for ANY top tier ride at 5 or later. They didn't exist except for a rare exception.

We also never had Maxpass at WDW, so how it operated is irrelevant as well. We don't know how it would've worked at WDW.

What I do know is how paper FP worked over many, many trips. It was my biggest complaint about it.

But clearly, no matter how many dozens of posts that are made trying to explain why you can't speak for everyone, you continue to believe you can. I'm glad it works for you. We'll make it work for us, but it won't be as good as FP+ was and the fact that you like it better won't change my experience at all.

It's not false at all. I have no idea about Asia and not sure what that has to do with Florida, but I went dozens of time with paper FP and because we park hop, I'm well aware of the issues we had trying to get a fp for ANY top tier ride at 5 or later. They didn't exist except for a rare exception.

We also never had Maxpass at WDW, so how it operated is irrelevant as well. We don't know how it would've worked at WDW.

What I do know is how paper FP worked over many, many trips. It was my biggest complaint about it.

But clearly, no matter how many dozens of posts that are made trying to explain why you can't speak for everyone, you continue to believe you can. I'm glad it works for you. We'll make it work for us, but it won't be as good as FP+ was and the fact that you like it better won't change my experience at all.

You claim
Yes, much too optimistic. I think expecting you'll be able to book Splash at 10am for an 11:00 am return time, book JC at noon for a 1pm return time and BTMRR at 1 for a 2:30 return time is unrealistic. Splash and BTMRR at 2 of the most popular rides in the MK. To expect you'd be able to book the next hour up or 1.5 hrs up is not something I would expect. and when those 3 rides fall through, so does you entire plan for the day.

Now if you had FP+, you could ride SDMT during EE and my guess is get in line for PPF in that half hour. Have Splash, BTMRR, HM pre-booked at 11, 12 and 1 then most likely book 1 of those again for your return trip in the evening. Ride the other rides - Buzz, Mermaid, HOP, Small World, POC, Laugh Floor, Country Bears standby in the AM with little or no wait and you're done, or save a couple of those like Small World. Laugh Floor and Riverboat for the evening- waits are rarely long for those. You got them all in and it didn't cost you anything.

don’t think I’m being overly optimistic for a normal crowd day. 1 hour between reservations is pretty normal under MaxPass.

You claimed no system provides availability for popular rides late into the day. That’s false. It’s false in multiple parks. False with MaxPass.

And with old paper FP, I was always able to get Soarin, Peter Pan, Splash mountain, at 6pm or later. TSM was the only ride I ever saw sell out before 5pm. And G+ fixes that issue by making the ultra popular rides an extra charge.

You claim

don’t think I’m being overly optimistic for a normal crowd day. 1 hour between reservations is pretty normal under MaxPass.

Sigh, I can’t believe I’m even replying again. But, here it goes: G+ is not maxpass. Maxpass had more rides to choose from at DL than anyone will at Epcot.

You’re being overly optimistic with availability and maybe some of us are being overly pessimistic.

Sigh, I can’t believe I’m even replying again. But, here it goes: G+ is not maxpass. Maxpass had more rides to choose from at DL than anyone will at Epcot.

You’re being overly optimistic with availability and maybe some of us are being overly pessimistic.

You commenting on my Epcot plan or MK plan?

Epcot has similar attendance and a similar number of rides as DCA, where MaxPass works quite well.

Under paper FP, Soarin and TT FPs (Frozen didn’t exist back then), typically remained available until 6pm or later.

MaxPass was never used at WDW. You’re basing all your predictions on the history of a system that has no history at WDW. You can’t accurately compare it’s performance at DLR to WDW when it was never used but I’ve put enough time in on this one. I’m out.

Im basing my prediction on what Disney says. Disney said it will operate like MaxPass. You assume Disney is lying. I assume they are telling the truth.

Here's where I'm at with this thing:

* standby lines likely to be longer
* costs money for FastPasses when they were free before
* uncertainty about when you get them: in the park at 7a and/or at a on-site resort at 7a?

I'm failing to see the positives for DL/DCA. I get the positive for not having to book in months in advance at WDW. That was a reason to skip WDW completely.

My expectation is that Disney will try to maximize the number of LLs and Genie+ purchases per guest, which is why I expect standby wait times to go through the roof.

Disney gives people options!

Levels of resorts
Dining packages
Counter service vs table service
VIP
Different budgets for different people.

Yes prices keep going up, like everything else in the world.
Yes they are charging more and removing free things.
It’s a business. Covid has screwed many businesses, closed many more, shorten hours, less staff.
If Disney prices me out, I’ll go elsewhere or spread my trips out more. Choices!

I for one think staying at deluxe resort is a waste of $$$. We spend little time at the resort. Others think value is like staying at a motel 6. Opinions!

The way we like to eat at Disney make dining package useless for us, other rave about it. Choices again!

Options/budgets/time of year/length of stay…are different for everyone.

I’ve used Max Pass at DL and loved it. Was able to get a new ride quickly with little wait.

We are going over Christmas week and knowing it’s going to be crazy busy will probably buy genie+ For our two MK days, other parks will be a wait and see.

Will this extra $30 a day break my budget? Nope!
Will it give me more time to enjoy more rides? Probably! To me it will be worth it!

Waiting to see how this all rolls out, but feel it will work great for my DD and me.

I choose to spend my vacation $ at Disney and will modify if needed for future trips.

Have a magical day!

I loved to be able to plan in advance when going to WDW (staying Deluxe)
I am living in Switzerland and when we come we want to be able to do the most rides as possible
We also go to Universal and stay Deluxe to have the FP system
I am waiting to see how this new G+ will be before booking any new trip
Anyway, due to COVID we are not able to come for the moment..:
Hope to come next year … the new system might be changing our WDW routine…

Yes, Disney World is EXPENSIVE. $200 is not "nothing." But park tickets at $120-$200 per day is expensive. Hotel rooms of $300 to $1,000 per night are expensive. Disney World is expensive. In the context of all the other Disney expenses, $60-$200 is not a huge expense.
Oh wow..... haven't read most of the replies yet....but this just about distills it down to the essence (in my mind) right here. Here's my (own) problem with Genie+ and OP's assertions.
*****It is already TOO EXPENSIVE for the product you get in return.**** As it was, I was doing a lot of 'Disney math' to try and shuffle those costs into a pile of something I could tolerate to pay.... And with this, the final 'disney touch' where so much of the interesting good stuff that used to just be a natural part of a Disney vacation, like a fun package deal - are now on a pay as you go sort of plan. SO take away experiences,lower the product standards, jack up the prices,and then ***ADD*** extra costs to things that were once a part of the general admission......***that are going to be difficult to avoid using***.... What OP (and plenty of others on the boards) like to conveniently ignore is that these trips are no longer within the grasp of the average family,cost-wise or planning wise (rope drop times for all!) And IDK how that will affect thing in the end but I know how it will affect my plans.

You commenting on my Epcot plan or MK plan?

Epcot has similar attendance and a similar number of rides as DCA, where MaxPass works quite well.

Under paper FP, Soarin and TT FPs (Frozen didn’t exist back then), typically remained available until 6pm or later.
This was not our experience. When we went the first week of February 2013 (low crowds), FP for Soarin’ were all distributed by around 10am. I remember clearly because we got there at park opening and my sister and BIL came maybe 30 minutes later and missed out on a FP for Soarin’ so they were pretty disappointed.

I think it boils down to what we expect a “base level” experience at WDW to be. For most of us, a base level experience includes some sort of skip the line passes for at least a few rides because that’s the way we are used to it being. Other things I see as completely optional upcharges, things like park hopping, signature dining, even sit down dining, dessert parties, or after hours parties. I didn’t feel like I HAD to do any of those things in order to get on the rides I wanted to ride and therefore enjoy my park experience. Now it feels like I have to pay for G+ at a minimum and even then I won’t be getting access to as many rides as I was with FP+. Do I have to pay for G+? No, but if I want a similar experience to skip any sort of lines I do.

my other issue is that this is going to be hard for large family groups with different income levels. We’re traveling with my extended family in 2023. My family can afford G+ and some IAS (but don’t particularly want to pay it) but many of my family members will not be able to afford to it after saving up for this Disney trip for multiple years already. So now their experience is not going to be great and for my family we have the choice of waiting in long lines with them or ditching them and purchasing G+ and not being able to ride most rides with them. Not a fun choice to make.

Oh wow..... haven't read most of the replies yet....but this just about distills it down to the essence (in my mind) right here. Here's my (own) problem with Genie+ and OP's assertions.
*****It is already TOO EXPENSIVE for the product you get in return.**** As it was, I was doing a lot of 'Disney math' to try and shuffle those costs into a pile of something I could tolerate to pay.... And with this, the final 'disney touch' where so much of the interesting good stuff that used to just be a natural part of a Disney vacation, like a fun package deal - are now on a pay as you go sort of plan. SO take away experiences,lower the product standards, jack up the prices,and then ***ADD*** extra costs to things that were once a part of the general admission......***that are going to be difficult to avoid using***.... What OP (and plenty of others on the boards) like to conveniently ignore is that these trips are no longer within the grasp of the average family,cost-wise or planning wise (rope drop times for all!) And IDK how that will affect thing in the end but I know how it will affect my plans.

The only solution to that problem is to make admission free. Make all dining and resorts free. Make the tickets free. Make VIP tours free.

Otherwise, there will be people who can’t afford it.

Yes, Disney World is expensive. Disney has every right to maximize their profits, Walt Disney was an extreme aggressive capitalist.

The only solution to that problem is to make admission free. Make all dining and resorts free. Make the tickets free. Make VIP tours free.

Otherwise, there will be people who can’t afford it.

Yes, Disney World is expensive. Disney has every right to maximize their profits, Walt Disney was an extreme aggressive capitalist.
Nope.That's not what I said at all...I think I was clear in that. I know there are people who cant'/couldn't afford WDW before all these changes. These changes however will definitely shift the average cost of a vacation here to a MUCH higher bracket,in order to try desperately to mimic the previous offerings at a lower price point.....so I guess I'll be clearer here. At one point, Disney was pretty cheap and accessible to most families (think way back in the day of $3 admission and a ticket book) and it's steadily climbed for years now. While I understand the bottom line/make a buck mentality of what's going on,I DISLIKE it intensely. This newest Genie+ etc nonsense is the final straw IMHO. Maybe not for OP,or you,or a bunch of people who can afford the extra costs now.
But this puts it over the top,making what was once fairly easily accessible (a basic theme park trip) into a circus of high costs combined with lower expectations (I'm talking the entire package,resorts and parks) That no longer seems fun,relaxing or worth my money. And as a pp noted,I like to travel with other families,who have different price points they can manage. That changes a LOT for me too...since I can afford these ridiculous upcharges(if I wanted to) but some of them cannot. This TAKES AWAY from the general experience,at a higher cost.
......AND...... as I've noted in other threads...all of this just makes me sad. I miss what once was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter