ESA issue

The laws vary so much from state to state and depending upon the specifics of the situation. There are many free legal clinics available, particularly through law schools that deal with this. You'll be able to make an appointment with a lawyer, tell them, the situation, and they'll be able to give you informed advice for free.

Yes, this is why I said to take photos and videos. maybe they can send them to husky rescues. And while I've never been a big fan of people posting their lives all over social media, this might be one time where posting pics of the puppy being neglected and living in it's own excrement during the day, might get the proper animal control groups or rescue groups involved to put pressure on the roommate to do the right thing and give up the puppy.
::yes:: Or leave the puppy home next semester (I mean, needed or not, how much actual time is the dog going to be physically in her presence providing emotional support) or even take next semester off.

Unfortunately, the leases are likely written such that 1) the roommates are not getting out of paying rent, 2) they won't get their share of the security deposit back, and 3) they will still be subject to additional damages beyond what's covered by the security deposit. If they could find someone to sublease, they might get off the hook for the rent, but most likely not the damages. To the greatest extent that the law allows, landlords will write leases so that the liability is against any and all of the tenants. They don't want to get into the blame game; they just want to be paid for damages.

I'm thinking your DD and the other roommate have now developed serious allergies to pet dander.

While I love huskies, other people's huskies, I would not have one. They do need room to run, they chew a lot, and they can bark and whine a lot when they are cooped up. Our neighbor's husky chewed our fence more times than I can count. When they put chicken wire around the wood fence, he dug underneath. I have a friend who has huskies and they both prefer to be outside in the snow and cold than in the warm house. I can't imagine having a husky in an apartment. They are great dogs but they require a lot of care and play time.

I'm thinking your DD and the other roommate have now developed serious allergies to pet dander.

While I love huskies, other people's huskies, I would not have one. They do need room to run, they chew a lot, and they can bark and whine a lot when they are cooped up. Our neighbor's husky chewed our fence more times than I can count. When they put chicken wire around the wood fence, he dug underneath. I have a friend who has huskies and they both prefer to be outside in the snow and cold than in the warm house. I can't imagine having a husky in an apartment. They are great dogs but they require a lot of care and play time.
Yes, huskies are EXTREMELY high maintenance dogs and become monsters when not properly trained, exercised or socialized.

I agree. I knew a girl who loved Huskies and had three of them hit and killed by cars before getting a fourth. (Then we lost touch and idk what happened after that.) Because the dogs wanted to run all the time she had trouble keeping them in her inadequately fenced yard, so they would break loose and run into the busy street. It was maddening that she wouldn’t listen to reason. (I tried.)

Our trainer used to have a saying for some people and dog situations, “this isn’t the right dog for you”, and I’d say it applies here, although it may not be the right situation for any dog if it’s not being cared for right. As noted, a dog bred from working lines will be very active and will find things to do if not given the proper outlet for its natural instincts. It’s kind of mean, IMO, to keep a dog like this couped up with nothing to do much of the time. It will need a ton of exercise as well as training, socialization and all that, otherwise the dog is being set up to fail, possibly for life. Dogs wind up in shelters or bad hands when they become nuisances. It could well lose its life with a start like this.

And the roommate (and so, the breeder) could be from a completely different part of the country than OP or the college.

I agree. I knew a girl who loved Huskies and had three of them hit and killed by cars before getting a fourth. (Then we lost touch and idk what happened after that.) Because the dogs wanted to run all the time she had trouble keeping them in her inadequately fenced yard, so they would break loose and run into the busy street. It was maddening that she wouldn’t listen to reason. (I tried.)

Our trainer used to have a saying for some people and dog situations, “this isn’t the right dog for you”, and I’d say it applies here, although it may not be the right situation for any dog if it’s not being cared for right. As noted, a dog bred from working lines will be very active and will find things to do if not given the proper outlet for its natural instincts. It’s kind of mean, IMO, to keep a dog like this couped up with nothing to do much of the time. It will need a ton of exercise as well as training, socialization and all that, otherwise the dog is being set up to fail, possibly for life. Dogs wind up in shelters or bad hands when they become nuisances. It could well lose its life with a start like this.

Breaks my heart really just to think about this dog.

::yes:: Or leave the puppy home next semester (I mean, needed or not, how much actual time is the dog going to be physically in her presence providing emotional support) or even take next semester off.

It could be too late by then for this dog. :(

As in:
It will need a ton of exercise as well as training, socialization and all that, otherwise the dog is being set up to fail, possibly for life. Dogs wind up in shelters or bad hands when they become nuisances. It could well lose its life with a start like this.

Isn't the first several months crucial for socializing & training dogs? If it's left alone a lot, it may develop an anxious personality. It needs to be handled a lot to know how to behave around humans, like being able to be petted. It needs to learn that it is not the Alpha of the pack. (Aren't huskies more a pack dog than other breeds?) And it could have house training problems for life, if not properly trained when young.

Last edited:

:sad1:

Since huskies are such runners, then maybe one or all of the roommates could walk the dog. Walk him a few times, then have the dog "run away" right into the arms of a husky rescue group. :grouphug: "Oops! You're dog is gone. He was too big to control and that breed is a running dog. IF you still need an ESA, get a SMALL, manageable dog everyone can handle, like a bison."

I would just take a stand and tell the roommate that she is not bringing a dog into their home and she can find a different place to live. A puppy is very needy and destructive if not cared for properly. What a ridiculous thing to spring on your roommates. I don't think your daughter and the the other girl/s should give in an inch.

I would just take a stand and tell the roommate that she is not bringing a dog into their home and she can find a different place to live. A puppy is very needy and destructive if not cared for properly. What a ridiculous thing to spring on your roommates. I don't think your daughter and the the other girl/s should give in an inch.
I think if the person were saying it was a pet that might work. Being that it's intented to be an ESA it muddies the waters. Obviously it's something we all question whether it's truly an ESA and even if it were if the breed is a good fit for being an ESA but I don't know that's it very cut and dry you can't bring a dog you need to move out if you're going to do so.

Maybe the puppy won’t be chipped and oopsie

Even if it is chipped, the roommates who "lost" him will feel so bad, they will handle the "search" for the missing dog. ;) So the roommate won't have to do anything to find him. :rolleyes1

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter