Europe trip-where to take “meh” college age DD?

Have you considered having her have a friend with her, or is that too much a responsibility for you?

I loved my parents but honestly I couldn't even imagine being without my friends at that age. So attached. And she is without a sibling along with her.

I know it will a lovely time regardless, full of wonderful.memoroes for life..I just think her lack of enthusiasm and input probably lies there, in her being an age where peer group is such an important focus.

She is of course very lucky to have this time with you both & this experience. Do not mean any different. Have a wonderful time..

What is her major, is there anything you can use as something that sparks her interests for sure? Or a hobby she has (or had as a child?)

My personal biased opinion:
Go to the Netherlands or Belgium. Central Europe where it is easy to do city trips within and outside these countries. Plenty of culture and nature.

Spring in NL or BE can be beach weather, but not necessarily. On the other hand, go to a red light district and you will see plenty of women in their bikinis ;)

Whatever you do, with this amount of time you have really time to go off the beaten path. When people come to the Netherlands, they go to Amsterdam and that's it, but the Netherlands has so much more to offer. Spring is perfect to see some flowers. Go to Giethoorn, the Venice of the North, go to Utrecht, Leiden or even Groningen to see the famous house or do canal cruises.

Maybe important, maybe not. The Netherlands has been for several years the #1 European country where the most people speak English (when it is not an official language). If she wants to go around her own, language will be no barrier here.

Where does she want to go? If she has no input, plan the trip you want to take and ask her if she wants to come along or stay home.

It really sounds like you are planning a trip that she doesn't really want to take, honestly.

When I was in college, I was no longer interested in traveling with my parents.

I have three daughters and took the two older girls on a European vacation during their senior year in high school. One during spring break, the other during the late summer. I think both would say France/Paris was the highlight of both trips. My third daughter has no interest in Europe. She is all about adventure. Ever since we did a girl's trip to Costa Rica she loves Central and South America. So I put aside my plan and we are going to Peru. Maybe see if something else would excite her.

My partner and I recently returned from a trip to Spain and Portugal and, while we didn’t do beaches, we absolutely loved it. Both were very cheap once you get there, easy to navigate (walking and public transportation), and very friendly locals. The southern coasts of both countries are supposed to have beautiful beaches as well.

Our sons and my DH had never been overseas (and I hadn't been since my single days,) so we took a big trip right before our kids were "launched." One had just graduated from college and had a few weeks off before starting his job, and one was half-way through and was working at the same place he'd worked the summer before and was able to put off starting by a few weeks. We chose 5 days in London then took the train to Paris for 2 days then on to 5 days in Barcelona - so basically a two week trip with travel days. It was a great introduction trip, and I hadn't hit Spain on my previous travels so that was a win too. The kids also got to use some of their Spanish skills. Has you daughter been learning a language?

We found them to be really receptive to traveling with us on that trip. They knew it was a unique opportunity for us all to have the time at the same time AND we were paying for everything! It was the first (and so far only) time we've really traveled with them when they were both adults and I'm so glad we did it!!! We had an anniversary WDW trip planned (we hope to do one every ten years- see my signature below) that got cancelled due to Covid and I don't know when/if we'll find a time to reschedule - it gets hard when now we've got spouses to consider too! That's a lot of people to compare schedules.

Last edited:
Swimming against the stream here, but I would ask a relative to stay with her so that she could go to a local pool this summer, and I would go to wherever I wanted to go in Europe on a "just us" trip with my husband.

I would wait to take her on an expensive vacation when she was out on her own, paying her own way, and was at the point when she was able to really appreciate the break.

My college kids have enjoyed trips they've paid for and taken to London, Scotland, Ireland, Italy, France and one is going to Spain in June. Some study abroad opportunities, some trips they wanted to take.

We have a daughter who loves the Asian culture. She would choose Japan.

Another idea, I would love to travel to places dh and I have ancestors from.

When we travel internationally, it will be to Germany, Luxembourg, Friesland, Frances, Switzerland, England.

So many places to see, so little time.

If your DD is beachy, she would probably love Greece or Italy (Cinque Terre or Sorrento are amazing!). However, if there are mobility concerns, both of those are ROUGH.

I studied abroad in London when I was in college and I LOVED it. It was what made me fall in love with travel. I also really loved Ireland when I went in college.

First thoughts. If she hasn't been to Europe, I would hit some typical highlights like London, Paris, Venice, Rome, OR I was going to say Greece until you mentioned mobility as a concern.

But, in all honesty, if my DD was indifferent to Europe then I would make one of two decisions... If time with her was my priority, then I would book a fabulous vacation to wherever she wanted to go- Bali, Fiji, wherever. OR If she's just difficult and not really sure she wants to vacation with parents, then I'd plan a trip that DH and I wanted and invite her along. She could come or decline.

Before work schedules make it impossible, we want to take our college age DD to Europe with us. She’s been as a child, but has little memory of it. Unlike a lot of people her age, she is meh about the trip because her happy place is a beach, where she can just lay there an de-stress. (Hard major exhausts her) We are not beach people, but we’ve done that many times for her sake. She’s fine with going, just offers no suggestions.

I think she’d have a good time once she’s there. We parents have been many times, so there is no need to check a bucket list item for us. We will love any place we go. But we are trying to figure out what would most appeal to her, and she’s not full of ideas.

If you had to pick a destination for a 7-10 day trip for someone who does not have wanderlust, but would enjoy some sightseeing, shopping, nice dinners, and cafe culture, where would you suggest?
One Word: Mallorca- can combine well with Mainland Spain.

reece I do not view as a lazy beach holiday as the number of sandy beaches is limited. Krete has sand most are cliffy and rock, Greece is for me more a boating vacatin.

Last edited:
If beach is what she wants I'd stick closer to home like Mexico, Caribbean, etc. You can mix it up with beach days and excursion days.

However, she's the beach person and you guys aren't really all that into it. Kinda two conflicting styles and her being in college I'd give her the benefit of wanting to do what she wants to do, which doesn't mean it includes you (said gently but honestly).

I'm glad I waited to comment because I think what you've got going on is you want to take a vacation with her before you feel like that option has slipped away but she's already given you the hint that a trip with her parents, right now, isn't all that she's really up for. Sure she may have the time of her life once on it but you may be sorta forcing this one right now.

The thing with booking a vacation and then inviting her along is finding yourselves booking a vacation hoping she'll go, planning things around what she'd want to do, etc and then maybe feeling like it's not really a trip for you guys just a ploy to get her to come (not meaning ploy in a bad way). IF you are already planning a vacation to Europe (which I'm not sure you were considering you mentioned terrain and mobility concerns) plan it completely 100% like it's your vacation, down to all the details including little beach days, then invite her along. She may look at what you have planned and say "thanks but I'll pass" or she may say "this sounds like fun sure I'd love to come" but I just wouldn't plan a trip for surrounding her at least with what you've said so far.

Paris meets all those requirements.

Greece meets most of those. I wouldn’t say cafe culture necessarily. The Europeans have a fabulous way of doing meals but I’m not sure I’d say cafe culture.

I‘d also take a look at Istanbul. It checks all those boxes.

As odd as it may sound to some, she still likes going places with us. Since she’s an only child, we started offering to take a friend along years ago, but she has always rejected the offer. She’s not even a fan of meeting up with others for more than a day. It’s HER distinct preference to have it just be the three of us. Maybe it’s a “family of 3” thing.

If we offered a family beach vacation or a WDW trip, she’d be all over that. But we have done those vacations soooooo many times. She’s only been to Europe as a young child and remembers very little. I think she’d like it if she tried it, but she’s also the sort who could go to the beach yearly for 20 more years and be happy. Because a career is just around the corner, a trip to Europe is probably now or never. We had actually planned a couple of 3-4 week trips to Europe with her, but they were all COVID canceled. That’s when we thought we had a few years left to explore various countries, knowing she’d enjoy some more than others. But this trip can only be 7-10 days, so I want to zero in on something she’d like. DH and I will enjoy almost anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m going to show her a video of Portugal tonight and see if she likes that. We have considered Croatia as well. Greece seems to appeal to her a bit. DH wonders if she’d prefer to stay in an English speaking country, as 99.999999% of her high school foreign language has disappeared. But she said that didn’t make a difference. She’s never had a knack for languages. She’s a science and math girl who loves coffee, shopping, and fashion.

This is her last vacation at our expense since she’ll have graduated. We have told her that after this, when we book a vacation, she can go along if she likes the sound of the trip, and chip in on expenses. I appreciate all your ideas.

she still likes going places with us.
I'm sure she does but she may have outgrown what type of vacation y'all did in the past or just all the vacationing of the past with her parents maybe she even feels like she wants the beach but knows y'all are not so much into it and it's been done several times in the past so she's not putting in the enthusiasm of the past. Your title even said "meh".

Maybe she'll have a grand time, I just would hate for you to spend all your efforts on a trip you didn't really want because you were trying to coax her to get excited about it. I think from what a few others are saying is it's normal if she's not really into the whole vacationing thing with her parents, yes in the past she may have preferred that rather than inviting her friends and maybe now all she wants to do is go to the beach and she knows that's not what you want.

I picked out these quotes and it's just from what brief comments you've made on this thread. To me they tell me you're trying to plan a trip in hopes she'll get on board but your words are giving you information that you may not be seeing because you so want to have this last trip on the books with her.

She’s fine with going, just offers no suggestions.

she’s not full of ideas.

she is meh about the trip because her happy place is a beach, where she can just lay there an de-stress

DD is indifferent to pools. It’s the beach she loves. She’s very clear on that.

Hopefully everyone ends up happy in the end no matter what the decision of where to go and if she goes ends up going :flower3:

As odd as it may sound to some, she still likes going places with us. Since she’s an only child, we started offering to take a friend along years ago, but she has always rejected the offer. She’s not even a fan of meeting up with others for more than a day. It’s HER distinct preference to have it just be the three of us. Maybe it’s a “family of 3” thing.

If we offered a family beach vacation or a WDW trip, she’d be all over that. But we have done those vacations soooooo many times. She’s only been to Europe as a young child and remembers very little. I think she’d like it if she tried it, but she’s also the sort who could go to the beach yearly for 20 more years and be happy. Because a career is just around the corner, a trip to Europe is probably now or never. We had actually planned a couple of 3-4 week trips to Europe with her, but they were all COVID canceled. That’s when we thought we had a few years left to explore various countries, knowing she’d enjoy some more than others. But this trip can only be 7-10 days, so I want to zero in on something she’d like. DH and I will enjoy almost anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m going to show her a video of Portugal tonight and see if she likes that. We have considered Croatia as well. Greece seems to appeal to her a bit. DH wonders if she’d prefer to stay in an English speaking country, as 99.999999% of her high school foreign language has disappeared. But she said that didn’t make a difference. She’s never had a knack for languages. She’s a science and math girl who loves coffee, shopping, and fashion.

This is her last vacation at our expense since she’ll have graduated. We have told her that after this, when we book a vacation, she can go along if she likes the sound of the trip, and chip in on expenses. I appreciate all your ideas.
One other option- insanely beautiful, relaxing, cafes, just… wow… is the Italian Lakes. Specifically Bellagio on Lake Como.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter