• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everest and Space Mountain: I’m terrified!

Jacqui Padden

Jac0871
Hi all - so I’m not a coaster person - this is my third year going to Florida and I still can’t get myself to go on Everest or Space Mountain - despite having a fast pass & being in the queue. I think if I back out this October my 11 yr old son may disown me! I’ve watched them both online (can’t see much in SM mind) and really want to go on them for my son! How scary are they? It’s the backwards bit of Evetest that scares me and the darkness of SM. I love BTMRR if that helps. Never done R&R in Hollywood studios either. I cried on the Scorpion in Busch Gardens last October but intend to do it again this year without the tears and hysteria!

Coasters scare me as well... I've had to use the "chicken door" more then once! This trip I braved EE and SM! To be honest, I felt EE was not as bad as I recalled (I had watched the ride videos so knew when to expect the backwards bit... That helped me!)... I don't think I will be going back onto SM for a few more years :p . I'm happy to have rode it with my dd5 and dd7 (it was their first time)... But the dark/noise/jerky mouvements were a bit much..

I’ve never done Everest because I’m scared. I’ve done space and was near tears before it was over. Felt horrible after i got off. Now half of that was probably my anxiety as I worked myself up while waiting in line.

I just can’t do the drops. I literally get sick. The issue with space is I can’t see it coming so I think that makes it worse. My daughter is always trying to get me to go with her. I did once a few years ago and regretted every second of that decision.

SM is really tame, it’s just in the dark. It’s not any faster than btmrr. Everest is faster but super smooth so it’s not so bad either, the backwards part isn’t that long and isn’t as fast as some of the other parts.

I’ve ridden so many rides at this point that I’m no longer afraid, but when I used to get scared I would just think about all of the engineering hours that went into making sure the ride was safe, and the millions of people who have ridden before me without incident.

I’ve never done Everest because I’m scared. I’ve done space and was near tears before it was over. Felt horrible after i got off. Now half of that was probably my anxiety as I worked myself up while waiting in line.

I just can’t do the drops. I literally get sick. The issue with space is I can’t see it coming so I think that makes it worse. My daughter is always trying to get me to go with her. I did once a few years ago and regretted every second of that decision.

One option if you want to conquer your fear is to try riding space at night and sit in the front car, if your eyes are more adjusted to the dark you can see enough to make it not as scary.

Last edited:
I'm a super big chicken. Took me 8 trips to even ride Splash Mountain for the first time. But, I waited in line for Everest with my DS12 and DW, and then just decided to ride. Admittedly, I was shaking after the ride and declined to go again on that trip, but I think I would ride it again.

Still haven't done Space, but I promised them I would next time. Don't think I'll ever do RnRC.

Coasters scare me as well... I've had to use the "chicken door" more then once! This trip I braved EE and SM! To be honest, I felt EE was not as bad as I recalled (I had watched the ride videos so knew when to expect the backwards bit... That helped me!)... I don't think I will be going back onto SM for a few more years :p . I'm happy to have rode it with my dd5 and dd7 (it was their first time)... But the dark/noise/jerky mouvements were a bit much..
Thank you - you sound like me! :) I’m really going to try to not use the ‘chicken door’ (I like your name for it).

I'm a super big chicken. Took me 8 trips to even ride Splash Mountain for the first time. But, I waited in line for Everest with my DS12 and DW, and then just decided to ride. Admittedly, I was shaking after the ride and declined to go again on that trip, but I think I would ride it again.

Still haven't done Space, but I promised them I would next time. Don't think I'll ever do RnRC.
Brilliant - at least you’ve done it! Most people say SM isn’t as scary as Everest! :) Thank you for replying

Space goes a max speed of 28MPH and I believe the biggest “drop” is about 15(ish) feet.

It’s intimidating because it’s dark and you can’t see what coming, but here’s a little spoiler. What’s coming is a sharp turn, a quick dip and a tonne of laughing. Nothing makes me happier than ending up on a Rocket with a parent who is riding for the first time with their kids and they get the giggles and can’t stop.

Not going to lie or try to make it sound less than it is. For a true coaster "junkie" or enthusiast, neither SM or EE are intense at all. However, for someone who is really scared of coasters, I can see where they would be intimidating. SM doesn't go very fast, but because it's pitch dark and tosses you around it has a more intense feel. It's kinda sorta like riding BTMRR with your eyes closed, except it turns a bit more. EE has a backwards part that lasts maybe 15 seconds, but it feels pretty intense. Then the forward part is quick, with a very steeply banked turn.

I love them both. My daughter was scared...no, terrified...to try them. I dragged her on with me and reminded her that the worst that will happen is she won't like it. In other words, she won't get physically hurt, she won't die and it'll all be over in just a few minutes. By time we got off, her tears turned to giggles and now she's the biggest coaster fan in our family. But even you don't like it, to me it's "no harm no foul". As I said, you won't get hurt, you won't die...very worst case is you feel sick. That would stink, but at least you can say you tried.

Thank you all - loving the replies and so grateful to those so far who have replied. I’m psyching myself up for October! I’d really love to be a coaster junkie - it must be great. Alas, I’m trying to build up to at least a couple! :)

The only way to get over that hump is, frankly, just do it. And the more you do it the more the fear lessens.

The question to ask is just what are you afraid of. Up until I was about 12 I was very afraid of big rides because I literally thought there would be a mechanical failure. When it finally sunk in that the odds of that happening are virtually zero...presto! I started riding. You are much more likely, of course, to suffer injury getting out of the shower that morning or riding to WDW in a vehicle or even just boarding/unboarding a ride than from actually riding it.

Now intellectually this all makes sense, but tricking your brain to believing it - when the rides are designed to get the pulse racing - that's another thing!

I find EE much easier than BTMRR, frankly. Even though you go up a steep hill, there are no big drops. The backward part never bothered me- there is a deliberate stop before you go forward again, which gives your brain a moment to recover. It’s not nearly as intense as I had imagined.

Space is only intense because you don’t know what’s coming.

Not going to lie or try to make it sound less than it is. For a true coaster "junkie" or enthusiast, neither SM or EE are intense at all. However, for someone who is really scared of coasters, I can see where they would be intimidating. SM doesn't go very fast, but because it's pitch dark and tosses you around it has a more intense feel. It's kinda sorta like riding BTMRR with your eyes closed, except it turns a bit more. EE has a backwards part that lasts maybe 15 seconds, but it feels pretty intense. Then the forward part is quick, with a very steeply banked turn.

I love them both. My daughter was scared...no, terrified...to try them. I dragged her on with me and reminded her that the worst that will happen is she won't like it. In other words, she won't get physically hurt, she won't die and it'll all be over in just a few minutes. By time we got off, her tears turned to giggles and now she's the biggest coaster fan in our family. But even you don't like it, to me it's "no harm no foul". As I said, you won't get hurt, you won't die...very worst case is you feel sick. That would stink, but at least you can say you tried.

This is a great attitude to have. Because it’s true. Nothing truly bad is going to happen on those coasters.

The last time I was afraid to ride a ride was Intimidator 305 at kings dominion. But people were talking about blacking out on the ride and things like that and I was honestly worried it would happen. But it didn’t. However that type of coaster is probably my limit. It’s no fun to be truly scared on a ride. Fortunately there’s nothing at WDW that is even close to that sort of experience.

I feel like they are both pretty different coasters. I personally think EE is a little scarier.. bigger drops. and going backwards makes me a little sick :crazy2: space mountain is scary because the lights are off, but it isn't a crazy roller coaster. it's just super jerky and i feel it alot more the older i get. but it's probably my fav ride at MK, i laugh the entire time!!:jester:

How scary are they? It’s the backwards bit of Evetest that scares me and the darkness of SM. I love BTMRR if that helps. Never done R&R in Hollywood studios either.
Some times you do have to conquer your fears for others. My husband hates flying but does it and gets through it so we can visit the mouse. So maybe think about doing it for your son. Neither of those rides are bad. SM feels fast because you are in the dark, but only goes about 30mph. Everest really isn't that bad but RnR it much more intense than either so maybe stay away from that one. I think Everest is just a little more intense than BTM, but not by much. It is a smooth ride so you are not really getting jolted around.

If it helps you at all, my 4DD road Everest 3 times in one day and loved it. When asked about her favorite ride -- it's the Yeti!.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter