Everglades before Miami cruise anyone done it?

KGmomoftwins

DIS Veteran
Thinking about heading to the Everglades before our cruise on the magic in August out of Miami. We are looking at going 2 or 3 nights before embarkation. Has anyone done it? How did you do it? Rent car, use a tour agency, or something else. Where did you stay? Thanks!

We did this last year and did Biscayne and Everglades. We stayed in Homestead and rented a car.

Day 1 was the Heritage of Biscayne morning boat tour and we also spent a little time at the visitor's center. The tour was excellent. They also offer kayaking and snorkeling, but this was January, and we thought it might be too chilly.

We stopped for lunch at Robert is Here and did the south part of the park that afternoon. We started at the Ernest Coe center and then drove down to Flamingo stopping off at the various boardwalks and paths. We ended that day with at evening ranger walk at Royal Palms.

Day 2 we made an early start as Shark Valley's parking lot can fill early. We picked up breakfast to have in the car and arrived at 8:00 on a day when they open at 9. We were about the 20th car in line. We explored the visitor's center, did the tram tour (which was excellent) and did the otter cave and bobcat walking trails. That afternoon we did an airboat tour with Rivers of Grass which I highly recommend.

We did this last year and did Biscayne and Everglades. We stayed in Homestead and rented a car.

Day 1 was the Heritage of Biscayne morning boat tour and we also spent a little time at the visitor's center. The tour was excellent. They also offer kayaking and snorkeling, but this was January, and we thought it might be too chilly.

We stopped for lunch at Robert is Here and did the south part of the park that afternoon. We started at the Ernest Coe center and then drove down to Flamingo stopping off at the various boardwalks and paths. We ended that day with at evening ranger walk at Royal Palms.

Day 2 we made an early start as Shark Valley's parking lot can fill early. We picked up breakfast to have in the car and arrived at 8:00 on a day when they open at 9. We were about the 20th car in line. We explored the visitor's center, did the tram tour (which was excellent) and did the otter cave and bobcat walking trails. That afternoon we did an airboat tour with Rivers of Grass which I highly recommend.
Thank you super helpful. I was luck 20 years ago in college I took a course on the ecology of the Everglades and spent the first 2 weeks of January which is a great time to visit! Glad to hear Roberts is still here lol I want a milkshake! Do you mind sharing where you stayed in Homestead? Back then it was a rough area.

Homestead is still a bit rough but with the raceway and the base there’s places to stay. Im local to so Florida so can’t say about any places specific to stay. Robert is here is great and shiver’s bbq is awesome we drive down to homestead just to eat there. Everglades alligator farm is a fun 1/2 day stop too and so is the coral castle. It will be crazy hot in august and usually rainy though so be prepared.

I went back and checked, and the hotel was actually in Florida city rather than Homestead. It was the Tru by Hilton. We thought it was just fine and it was next-door to a Walgreens, cracker barrel, and a Starbucks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter