Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

In Miami, Denver, Nashville, NYC, Chicago, and I think LA -- some Uber drivers have the Uber Beacon, which is similar to Lyft's Amp.

The Beacon is attached to the front windshield, and when you tap the Spotlight icon on the rider app, the Beacon lights up with your color and flashes. That feature makes identifying your Uber vehicle very easy in a crowded venue like an airport. Unfortunately the Beacon is only available in the cities above, and only experienced highly-rated drivers have them.

With the Spotlight, the KEY thing is to SHOW your colored phone face to the approaching driver. I can't tell you how many times my Beacon has lit up and the rider had their phone in their pocket or purse!
Orlando is using this. So can't be just those
It came up for every ride I had last week. They also have a Live tracking option
I could then touch an icon on my phone and the screen lit up to match

Orlando is using this. So can't be just those
It came up for every ride I had last week. They also have a Live tracking option
I could then touch an icon on my phone and the screen lit up to match
Yes, the Spotlight (on the RIDER's phone) is nationwide I believe, but you have to know to tap the icon for it to work.

The Beacon, which is on some drivers' windshields, is only in the few cities listed above as far as I know.

This is what the Beacon looks like. It's lit up white if the driver is online and changes to a color when a rider taps the icon.

Many drivers use a decal with the same logo as the Beacon, but they do not light up.

Attachments

• beacon.jpg
    beacon.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 35
Yes, the Spotlight (on the RIDER's phone) is nationwide I believe, but you have to know to tap the icon for it to work.

The Beacon, which is on some drivers' windshields, is only in the few cities listed above as far as I know.

This is what the Beacon looks like. It's lit up white if the driver is online and changes to a color when a rider taps the icon.

Many drivers use a decal with the same logo as the Beacon, but they do not light up.
In some states, it's illegal to display a colored light on the front of a vehicle, because they are reserved for emergency vehicles. Seems to me that the legality of these devices is questionable.

In some states, it's illegal to display a colored light on the front of a vehicle, because they are reserved for emergency vehicles. Seems to me that the legality of these devices is questionable.
Yes, in most states.

In Florida, IIRC, displaying flashing red or blue lights is illegal. For that reason, the Beacon does NOT display red or blue. Pink, yes. Purple, yes. Orange, yes. But not red or blue.

Side note: I wish our Legislature would outlaw flashing white and yellow lights on every pickup truck in South Florida, and our school buses. I call the lights on the pickups, "Look-at-ME lights." In a highway construction area, fine -- but in a Publix parking lot? Gimme a break!

And the school buses! Seriously...if you don't see a 40-foot long grotesquely-yellow BUS, are you really going to notice a little flashing white light on top of it? There is a point where this stuff just gets ridiculous!

I know what a beacon looks like. The cars here have them too. The drivers had beacons in the windows to match the color on the phone. That's all I know
Maybe those cities require it and the others are optional. Though I think we must require something here too, because every car I see has a lighted Uber or Lyft sign in it

I know what a beacon looks like. The cars here have them too. The drivers had beacons in the windows to match the color on the phone. That's all I know
Maybe those cities require it and the others are optional. Though I think we must require something here too, because every car I see has a lighted Uber or Lyft sign in it
If they have Beacons in Orlando, Uber obviously must be distributing them there. Thanks for the update. Hopefully Uber will distribute them nationwide because they are a big help if people know how to use them.

Every state's laws are different, but there can be no local requirement for anything in Florida except requiring trade dress (logos) at airports and seaports, and designated pickup spots for safety/security for ports and large events. The legislature removed all other local authority in July 2017 with our rideshare law.

The ride options vary from city to city, and neither Uber nor Lyft display ALL options on the screen at the same time.

So -- with both companies, you now have to scroll left and right to see all of the options.

Just FYI -- X is available EVERYWHERE! If you don't see it displayed, scroll left or right and you'll see it.

It will show the 8 closest vehicles on the map. There is always a vehicle available -- it's just a question of how far away. In busy areas like WDW or Miami, the map looks like an ant bed!

It’s quite possible that I didn’t swipe left or right. This is a good reminder.

But I live in a small city. Right now there are only 7 drivers on the Uber map. Same on the Lyft map. At the time, I thought maybe there really weren't any drivers around whose had the smaller size car.

The beacon thing is new to me. I screenshotted* it to look back at next time I need an uber or lyft.

Thank you for always being helpful.

* I do not know what the past tense of screenshot is.

Last edited:

The beacon thing is new to me. I screenshotted* it to look back at next time I need an uber or lyft.
The Beacon is Uber only. But the better thing with Uber is the Spotlight -- tap the icon which turns your entire phone face a color, display your color to the approaching driver -- magic! And it works everywhere -- whether or not the driver has a Beacon.

Lyft has a similar device to the Beacon, called the Lyft Amp. Here's a picture:

Attachments

• how-it-works.jpg
    how-it-works.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 17
The Beacon is Uber only. But the better thing with Uber is the Spotlight -- tap the icon which turns your entire phone face a color, display your color to the approaching driver -- magic! And it works everywhere -- whether or not the driver has a Beacon.

Lyft has a similar device to the Beacon, called the Lyft Amp. Here's a picture:

Thanks!

I've ridden in an Uber before, but I've never hired one myself. Is there a way to figure out how much a ride will cost before you go? My daughter is in love with the old McDonald's "Mac Tonight" commercials (thanks to her dad and YouTube) and we want to have dinner at the McDonald's on International Drive that has the animitronic there one night. I want to see what the cheapest and easiest way to get there would be. And does the same driver come back and get you when you are done, or do you just call another Uber?

I've ridden in an Uber before, but I've never hired one myself. Is there a way to figure out how much a ride will cost before you go? My daughter is in love with the old McDonald's "Mac Tonight" commercials (thanks to her dad and YouTube) and we want to have dinner at the McDonald's on International Drive that has the animitronic there one night. I want to see what the cheapest and easiest way to get there would be. And does the same driver come back and get you when you are done, or do you just call another Uber?

The Uber/Lyft websites have price calculators built in. You can also go to ride.guru and get them.

You'll order one car to get there, then order another car when you're ready to return.

The app is very simple to use, and NO, your driver will not come back to get you unless you make some special arrangements...which are not necessary.

You simply download the Uber app from the iTunes Store or Google Play and install. You set up your account, including payment method.

When you get ready to order a ride, open the app and fill out the "Where to?" box with your destination. If you're not sure of the address, just enter McDonalds and you will probably be given a choice of several nearby McD's.

Once you enter the destination, you will see several ride preferences. Each preference will show the cost of the ride, not including tip. That fare estimate will not change unless the destination is changed.

If there are just two of you, order UberX, which will be your least expensive option, if your daughter does not need a child seat. Your ride request will be dispatched to a nearby driver and they will accept. Pickup will be quick, so never order an Uber until you are AT your pickup point and ready to get in the car.

Once the driver accepts your request, you will see the driver's actual first name, a picture of the driver, and a picture of their car, and I think their rating. That will appear on a small banner across the bottom of the app. The upper part of the screen will be a map where you will be able to watch the driver's progress toward you.

On the right side of that little banner, you will see a small icon of a light and it may be colored. As the driver approaches, tap that icon and your phone face will turn that color. Display the colored phone face to the approaching driver. This is not mandatory, but will make pickups much easier if you are in a crowded venue.

At the end of the ride, the fare will automatically be billed to your credit card or other payment method. You will receive a request to rate your driver. Please DO rate your driver -- and rate them 5 Stars unless there was something seriously wrong with the ride which was within the driver's control. 5 Stars is an "A." 4 Stars or less is an "F." and if the driver's rating drops below 4.6 (92%), the driver will be terminated.

The tip is NOT included in the fare (no matter what you may have heard) and there are two ways to handle the tip. The easiest way is to simply tip in cash. You can also tip in the app, on your credit card. After (and only after) you complete your rating, you will see an option to add a tip. The tip will be billed separately to your credit card from the fare.

After your ride, you will receive an email receipt for the ride and another opportunity to rate and tip the driver in case you forgot.

Ordering an Uber ride is one of those things that is a little awkward at first, but by the time you've done it 2-3 times you will be a pro.

Please excuse my laziness...I started on page 1 but after 4 or 5, realized it would take me a month to get to page 121!! So, like the poster just a couple of posts back, I've never used Uber. We are a party of 8, consisting of 6 adults and two children. One is an infant who will require a child seat, the other is 7 years old. Are booster seats required in Florida for a 7-year old? She uses one here in Canada. I know we will require 2 cars for the 8 of us... does Uber have option of 2 child seats in one car, or would we need to order 1 car seat in one vehicle, and a booster in the 2nd?

Please excuse my laziness...I started on page 1 but after 4 or 5, realized it would take me a month to get to page 121!! So, like the poster just a couple of posts back, I've never used Uber. We are a party of 8, consisting of 6 adults and two children. One is an infant who will require a child seat, the other is 7 years old. Are booster seats required in Florida for a 7-year old? She uses one here in Canada. I know we will require 2 cars for the 8 of us... does Uber have option of 2 child seats in one car, or would we need to order 1 car seat in one vehicle, and a booster in the 2nd?
First of all, Florida law.
  • Child seats are required for all children 3 and younger.
  • Child seats or boosters are required for 4-5 year olds.
  • Children 6 and older are not required to have a child seat or booster, but obviously your child's safety is paramount. The important thing is that the seatbelt fits the child properly and will restrain them, but not injure them, in the event of a crash.
  • ALL persons younger than 18 MUST wear seatbelts regardless of where they are seated in the vehicle.
  • https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center/child-safety/safety-belts-child-restraints/

Yes, you will need two vehicles, and you have several options.

With Uber or Lyft, you will need two UberX or regular Lyft vehicles...which will carry 4 passengers each.

Uber has some vehicles with ONE child seat -- not two -- and a child seat vehicle costs about $7-$8 more than a regular X vehicle. Lyft does not have any vehicles with child seats.

So if you bring your own child seats/boosters, you can order just two regular cars from either company.

If you're okay with the 7 year old not using a booster, you could order one UberX Car Seat and one regular UberX.

If you want the older child to have a booster, I would look at a portable one, like BubbleBum.

Disney MinnieVans all have TWO child seats, but they are much more expensive than a regular Uber or Lyft. MinnieVan fares are $15 + $2.75 per mile, unless they have raised the prices recently. A MinnieVan would carry six people, so you'd still need a regular Uber or Lyft.

MinnieVan is ordered through the Lyft app, and you can't have two rides going at the same time.

So, if you are going to use a MinnieVan, the best option would be to order an UberX for the second vehicle -- and you would be able to do that from the same phone.

Used Uber this morning. Tipped in the app. Shouldn’t I get a separate email confirming that the tip went through?

Used Uber this morning. Tipped in the app. Shouldn’t I get a separate email confirming that the tip went through?
I've only tipped in the app once -- just a few days ago -- so I'm not sure exactly how it goes. It was in NYC, and apparently NYC taxes tips, so there were some weird additions that don't balance. In that case, I got my original trip receipt email, and then a second email that said "Thanks for Tipping!" and had all the detail.

If something went wrong and the tip didn't go through, you can re-tip in the app. Open the app, tap the three bars in the upper left, and then tap My Trips. Find the trip and you'll see an option to add a tip.

I think the tip may show on your credit card statement as a separate charge, because it's accounted for separately by Uber.

I've only tipped in the app once -- just a few days ago -- so I'm not sure exactly how it goes. It was in NYC, and apparently NYC taxes tips, so there were some weird additions that don't balance. In that case, I got my original trip receipt email, and then a second email that said "Thanks for Tipping!" and had all the detail.

If something went wrong and the tip didn't go through, you can re-tip in the app. Open the app, tap the three bars in the upper left, and then tap My Trips. Find the trip and you'll see an option to add a tip.

I think the tip may show on your credit card statement as a separate charge, because it's accounted for separately by Uber.
Yes it is, you need to look at the charges in the credit card used to pay. If you see it there, it's there. If you don't it's not

Re Uber tip through app:

yesterday’s trip - app shows tip but never got second email.

Today’s trip - got second email showing tip.

Haven’t checked credit card. Can’t remember website password. Will check when i’m home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter