Explain Grits to this Northern Girl!

That's odd. Johnny Cakes are such a Rhode Island thing. I was born there. In the south nobody has heard of them.

Probably different names for the same thing. Johnny Cakes sounds a lot like what we call fried cornbread or some call Hoe Cakes. I don't know if they are the same or just similar. We often ate fried cornbread as part of our supper like some folks eat rolls or cornbread with their meals.

That's odd. Johnny Cakes are such a Rhode Island thing. I was born there. In the south nobody has heard of them.

I think at this point you have to know where to get them from. They are just not as common as they were say 30-40 years ago when the chain restaurants weren't so common.
Probably different names for the same thing. Johnny Cakes sounds a lot like what we call fried cornbread or some call Hoe Cakes. I don't know if they are the same or just similar. We often ate fried cornbread as part of our supper like some folks eat rolls or cornbread with their meals.
Hoe cakes and johnnycakes have similar ingredients up to a point. The RI (southern county) version uses a touch of milk while traditionally hoe cakes are cornmeal, water with a pinch of salt. As well the grind /texture and type of corn used differ as least from a traditional POV. Both are cooked over a griddle in hot fat but of course nowadays the fats differ. Not sure of all the ingredients for the northern county johnnycakes but they are certainly thicker........about the height of an English muffin.

I'd be happy to eat any of the three no matter what it's called;).

Im from MA and recently learned Ive been pronouncing Nevada incorrectly my whole life!! I was told the first A is pronouced like the A in apple. Ive been saying it like the A in "Ma" (short for mother)
When we moved to Florida, I had to train myself to pronounce it correctly. I'm really not bothered by accents & pronunciations though. As a matter of fact, I love hearing different accents. They make us unique. What I don't like is people making fun of another person's accent. Ironically the people who make fun of others usually have the worst accent.

Just regular old Spam. Slice it thin and fry it. Then get back with me.
I've never thought Spam tastes anything like bacon, but I'm willing to give it another try. When we do, I'll try to remember to get back to you.

ETA: My DH wants to know how thin is thin. He also wants to know, if it needs to be fried in bacon grease. :laughing:

I've never thought Spam tastes anything like bacon, but I'm willing to give it another try. When we do, I'll try to remember to get back to you.

Well, to be honest, I wouldn't imagine uncooked bacon (yes, I realize it is smoked) to taste like the finished product, either...although I've never tried it.

Fried Spam tastes much more like bacon than it does "uncooked" Spam.

Well, to be honest, I wouldn't imagine uncooked bacon (yes, I realize it is smoked) to taste like the finished product, either...although I've never tried it.

Fried Spam tastes much more like bacon than it does "uncooked" Spam.
We've only eaten fried Spam. I'll pass the thickness suggestion onto DH.

I think at this point you have to know where to get them from. They are just not as common as they were say 30-40 years ago when the chain restaurants weren't so common.

Hoe cakes and johnnycakes have similar ingredients up to a point. The RI (southern county) version uses a touch of milk while traditionally hoe cakes are cornmeal, water with a pinch of salt. As well the grind /texture and type of corn used differ as least from a traditional POV. Both are cooked over a griddle in hot fat but of course nowadays the fats differ. Not sure of all the ingredients for the northern county johnnycakes but they are certainly thicker........about the height of an English muffin.

I'd be happy to eat any of the three no matter what it's called;).

My mom cooked fried cornbread in an iron skillet and they were about the thickness of a very thick pancake and were slightly crusty on the outside. I don't know the ingredients but I think there may have been eggs and milk involved.

My mom cooked fried cornbread in an iron skillet and they were about the thickness of a very thick pancake and were slightly crusty on the outside. I don't know the ingredients but I think there may have been eggs and milk involved.
I love a well seasoned cast iron pan; there's hardly anything you can't do with them. Inherited two pieces from my Virginia raised Nana and cherish them with all my heart:).

I'd say for $5 you should try grits and see what you think. Even though the purists on this thread seem to disagree, I think the comparison to polenta is the best description, although the preparation is going to be different. In fact, several food/recipe websites say you can interchange them if needed.

Alton Brown had a good and funny “Good Eats” episode about grits and the comparisons to polenta. You can find it online.

If you ever see Anson Mills grits on the menu try them. They are out of Columbia, SC and mainly supply high end restaurants.

I recommend starting with the shrimp and grits at POFQ...

Unfortunately, I wont be there this trip (though I love that resort and it is a strong consideration for my next trip as I will need 3 rooms and deluxe will be out of the budget)

I do have about 20 other ADRS booked so Im sure to find grits somewhere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter