Explain Grits to this Northern Girl!

I've heard people pronounce it as Massatusetts or Massatchuetts rather an Massachusetts.
I've heard Massachuzetts, which annoys me, but never with a T sound in the middle (I'm from MA).
When we camped at a particular state park in CT, one of the state employees who met you at the security gate would glance at your plates and pronounce what he thought of where ya came from:
He declared Mass drivers from Taxachusetts and New Yorkers from the Vampire State. Used to crack us up.

One year we rented a car with CT plates and he looked at us confused (he knew us by sight then) but I was ready for him. Handed him a bulb of garlic and said we were refugees. For the rest of that stay he'd grab the garlic he left on a ledge and make the sign of the cross before waving us through. Nice man who helped to restore my faith in humankind:).

Haven't heard of Vampire State :rotfl2:But we do have some interesting names for our other neighbours -- Vermin, Mainiacs, HamShrikes, RhodeApples...
And I have heard the Bay State called 'Massive 2 S**ts' :rolleyes2

On the other hand - as a Yankee born&bred, I think grits is GOOD! Way better than Cream of Wallpaperpaste :rolleyes1

When I was in the 4th grade we moved from Detroit to Arkansas. My teacher corrected me when I pronounced Massachusetts without the T.

She was the only teacher that my brother, sister and I all had. Probably the stupidest woman who ever taught.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter