Eyeglasses in the parks

slpeters

DIS Veteran
So I was thinking about getting contacts again for the trip, less because of the danger of them flying off during rides but more because of rides where you have to wear 3-D glasses, goggles etc.

Is this actually an issue or do the glasses/goggles they use fit over regular prescription glasses?

My boyfriend wears glasses and has never had a problem with them on any ride (rollercoasters, ones with 3D glasses) I think you'll be fine with glasses. You would put 3D glasses over your glasses, I don't think there are any rides with goggles. I wear contacts and much prefer those instead of wearing glasses, but if you wear glasses only I don't see why you should change to contacts just for this trip.

None of the rides have ever been intense enough to make my glasses fly off. Universal is a different story.

I always wear contacts while I'm on Holiday (and glasses the rest of the year) and here are my reason. (just need caveat that I get the daily disposables ones):

• I've traveled a long way and if my glasses fall off (like my dad's glasses in between the boat and where you get off in POTC, not a big gap, but he managed to get them to plop straight into the water) , I break them or I leave them somewhere and I can't get them back - that's my holiday ruined as my vision would be compromised till I got back to the UK.
  • I hate wearing 3D glasses over normally glasses, as in my opinion it's very annoying.
  • Also when I'm away I like to were sunglasses (I know you can get prescription) but I like to have a couple of pairs for different outfits so instead of paying a fortune, I just pick up pairs from high street fashion shop.
  • Lastly contacts are less likely to fog in the Humidity :rotfl2:

FWIW, I wear glasses and put the 3D glasses over my normal glasses. They fit fine.

The only time I had a problem with my glasses coming off was on Mission Space. At the end, the bars pop up with enough force that it ripped my boonie hat off my head. The strap on the hat pulled my glasses off and both hat and glasses went flying. Other than that, no problems with glasses coming off. However, I don't go on rollercoasters anymore, due to issues with my spine.

Also, if you buy a box of Zeiss lens wipes, and take a few with you to the park each day, they work great for cleaning your glasses.

I have wore glasses on every trip. The 3D glasses fit over my glasses. I have also never had them fall off on a ride. However I do not go on Tower of Terror or RNR.

I have worn glasses since first grade and I've never had issues with them at theme parks ESPECIALLY Disney Parks.

There is only a handful of rides I would even consider taking my glasses off on -- the coasters really. And frankly, they probably would be fine except on RnR coaster.

I carry my glasses case with me, take off my glasses and put my glasses in the case and put the case in my bag or cargo short/pant pocket. Easy.

Wearing 3D glasses over my glasses are fine for a short time.

If you are concerned that your glasses may fall off on rides, then they probably aren't adjusted tight enough.

There is only a handful of rides I would even consider taking my glasses off on -- the coasters really. And frankly, they probably would be fine except on RnR coaster.

I thought that too, until I realized the force on the ride is to keep your glasses pressed to your face. So had no problem glasses falling off.

I have always had the same concerns.... but have never worn contacts. I've never had a problem with them coming off or the 3D glasses not fitting over them.
I also have prescription sunglasses that I wear at the parks. The only problem I have is where do I put my glasses when I wear the sunglasses and visa-versa! I don't like to carry a bag/backpack all the time.... would really like to go bagless!! haha... but I've found a small case with a clip on it that fit my glasses.
I do however bring 2 extra pairs of glasses..... always! Just in case something does happen... I'm more afraid of someone crashing into me in the crowds and my glasses getting knocked off that way and broken!!

I've worn glasses since I was 7. I can't wear contacts, so I've worn my glasses to both Disney and Universal multiple times. I've worn them to water parks, too.

3-D glasses and goggles are no problem. They fit right over your regular glasses and view is excellent. The only ride I can think of where they don't fit snugly is the new Jimmy Fallon ride at Universal. And even there, it's just a minor annoyance, which I stopped noticing as soon as the show started.

Never had a problem with any coaster (and I adore Expedition Everest!), though if I am planning to try a new coaster I usually attach a string to my glasses, just for extra security. Just for that first ride, until I can be sure they stay snug all the way through (which they always have, but I'm paranoid). You can get inexpensive glasses straps at most pharmacies, no problem.

I was very grateful for my glasses straps at Volcano Bay, btw! Trying one of the body slides, my glasses did fly off. But the straps saved them. Stuck to raft rides after that, which were no problem at all.

Yep, no problem with glasses on any rides at WDW, UO I've done all rides with my glasses but I don't ride the big coaster like Hulk or Rip Ride Rockit. I have done both HP attractions and the glasses do not come off

I always wear contacts while I'm on Holiday (and glasses the rest of the year) and here are my reason. (just need caveat that I get the daily disposables ones):

• I've traveled a long way and if my glasses fall off (like my dad's glasses in between the boat and where you get off in POTC, not a big gap, but he managed to get them to plop straight into the water) , I break them or I leave them somewhere and I can't get them back - that's my holiday ruined as my vision would be compromised till I got back to the UK.
  • I hate wearing 3D glasses over normally glasses, as in my opinion it's very annoying.
  • Also when I'm away I like to were sunglasses (I know you can get prescription) but I like to have a couple of pairs for different outfits so instead of paying a fortune, I just pick up pairs from high street fashion shop.
  • Lastly contacts are less likely to fog in the Humidity :rotfl2:
All very legit reasons. I got contacts in the 6th grade after losing my glasses on a ride at Universal and we had to do this exact thing. We had to spend the rest of the day at a mall in Orlando, getting new glasses made for me because I'm legally blind without them and it just wasn't an option to not wear them. Is there a reason you don't wear contacts? You don't like how the feel, you get eye infections, etc? If it's just a style thing I'd opt for contacts, but if you really don't like them I would just remove your glasses on rides like Everest to be safe.

Everyone in my family wears glasses. The only time we take them off is on rides where they could get wet or upside down roller coasters. As for sunglasses, we all have transitions lenses and if it's summer we wear clip-on polarized lenses because transitions are not strong enough for the Florida sun.

Family of 3 glasses wearers. We keep our glasses on for all rides including RnR and have never had any issues. We all switched to transition lenses because of Disney. That way we're not having to switch between sunglasses and regular glasses and can go bagless.

I haven't had any issues putting the 3d glasses on over the top of my prescription glasses. The 3D goggles are generally HUGE on me to begin with, so my glasses fit easily under them. On Flights of Passage the 3D goggles are so big that I have to keep one hand on them to hold them on.

As far as rides without 3D goggles, I always leave my glasses on, and have never had them go flying off. If I were worried, I might take them off before a roller coaster, or get one of those retainer things or a chain, but my glasses are adjusted so that they don't move at all.

Before cataracts surgery I wore glasses most of the time and contacts sometimes (always skiing and beach, sometimes DW). The only time where I felt I might loose my glasses was on RnR. I'd reach up to the bridge of my nose to hold them there. Likely, the glasses would have been safe, but I felt uneasy.

DH and I also keep our prescription glasses on for all rides and don’t have any problem fitting 3D glasses over them or riding coasters including EE, BTMRR, etc. I do take my sunglasses off (they’re the kind that are designed to fit over regular glasses) when I ride BTMRR and other outdoor coasters.

Is there a reason you don't wear contacts? You don't like how the feel,

Main reason is I'm a bit lazy and tend to rub my eyes a lot so for the odd night out I put them on but the rest of the time I can't be bothered lol.

Also I have a problem with Glare so my glasses are much better for me when I drive (safety first) and I'm not the best driver in the UK, so I don't drive when I'm on Holiday (The I4 is bad enough without me) so I can wear the contacts .

I always travel with a glasses strap so that I can slip it on in case I'm riding something where I'm concerned my glasses might come off. I also make sure that I pack a second pair of old glasses so that I have a backup pair, just in case. I would also add that if you don't always carry one, consider getting one of those tiny eyeglass kits. I did lose an eyeglass screw on a trip to Disneyland and having the kit on hand saved the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter