Family of 5- 2 parents and 3 teenagers-where to stay for reasonable cost??

kimdan

Earning My Ears
We have stayed at POR in the past but the pull out bed seems too small. I'm assuming the ones at CBR will be the same once refurbished. Do the family suites have a larger bed as their 3rd bed option or will out best bet be getting 2 value rooms? We would like to go end of July next year- too early for free dining but do you think we would have luck at room discount?

We always get two rooms at POP. That way we have four beds and two bathrooms. Usually it is cheaper than a deluxe or a suite. In the past there have been room discounts in July.

I would book 2 rooms at Pop. They are renovating the rooms to include queen beds. You will get 4 bigger beds as opposed to 3 beds in a family suite

You can also price out the cabins at Fort Wilderness. There you get the pull out couch, a queen sized bed and the two bunk beds.

I just booked for myself and four young adults (college age). Couldn't get anything at Pop due to renovations and all of the Free Dining people, all I could get for my weekend trip was a family suite at rack rate at Music. Queen bed, double sofa sleeper chair sleeper and ottoman sleeper. It was that or a room at Caribbean Beach where one of them would wind up on that trundle.

Our first night is at Pop with 2 rooms followed by a suite stay at AoA. With the newly refurbished rooms at Pop I have to say I was totally tempted to save the money and book the full stay there. I think if it was closer to complete I likely would have switched. 4 queen size beds and 2 full bathrooms sounds like a great thing with 3 teens.

We families of 5 sure do have our dilemma's don't we. We stayed POR up until the kids were big (like 6'5" and 6'3" big) and that is when it forced us over to the DVC rooms. That is also when we started purchasing one AP and getting any discount we could. We have found that 2br at OKW gives us the most room. Yes, it is expensive but with the AP discount we usually cans stay there non peak for about $450 a night. Save money on laundry and food/drink with full kitchen too.

We have stayed at POR in the past but the pull out bed seems too small. I'm assuming the ones at CBR will be the same once refurbished. Do the family suites have a larger bed as their 3rd bed option or will out best bet be getting 2 value rooms? We would like to go end of July next year- too early for free dining but do you think we would have luck at room discount?

They aren't refurbishing the rooms at CBR. That was done in 2015. The murphy beds are likely the same as they are at POR. It's basically a tad smaller than a twin bed. I can fit in it without any issues and my MIL has as well, but if your teens are very tall it might be an issue.

I would go for two value rooms. The family suites' 3rd bed isn't great -- you're better off with 2 rooms.

I'd go with either an All Star family suite or two rooms at any resort you like. The good thing about the family suite would be knowing your family will be all in one space. If you book 2 rooms you can request they have the inner connecting door, but you can't book that. It is a request only and you could end up with 2 rooms that don't connect.

2 standard rooms at one of the All Star resorts will be the least expensive onsite option. With teens, it is not a big deal if you don't get connecting rooms.

I am doing 2 rooms at POP in Sept. I have also done Ft Wilderness cabins when the kids where in the preteen age.

2 standard rooms at one of the All Star resorts will be the least expensive onsite option. With teens, it is not a big deal if you don't get connecting rooms.

The big deal might be that the adults would have to split up.

The big deal might be that the adults would have to split up.

This appears to be DIS boards lore that has been passed around and often gets repeated. I've looked pretty hard and the only actual requirements that I can find are as follows:

Guests under 18 need an adult with a valid credit card in order to reserve the resort room as well as be present during check in.

I'll be happy to eat my words if you can point me to any official WDW rule, term, or condition or Florida law that requires an adult over 18 to sleep in each hotel room.

This appears to be DIS boards lore that has been passed around and often gets repeated. I've looked pretty hard and the only actual requirements that I can find are as follows:

Guests under 18 need an adult with a valid credit card in order to reserve the resort room as well as be present during check in.

I'll be happy to eat my words if you can point me to any official WDW rule, term, or condition or Florida law that requires an adult over 18 to sleep in each hotel room.

Actually just did a chat on the Disney site, told the agent I had 3 kids and wanted to book 2 rooms. And that I had heard that an adult might have to be in each room, and was hoping to figure it out before booking a trip. And was told that an adult would have to be in each room. Fwiw. Right from a Disney agent.

My suggestion is 2 rooms for a family of that size. 2 toilets are an absolute must when you have almost 5 adults.

Actually just did a chat on the Disney site, told the agent I had 3 kids and wanted to book 2 rooms. And that I had heard that an adult might have to be in each room, and was hoping to figure it out before booking a trip. And was told that an adult would have to be in each room. Fwiw. Right from a Disney agent.
They assign an 18 year old or above to each room which meets there requirements. If you get adjoining rooms this presents no problems. If you have mature teenagers then even non-adjoining rooms makes no problems. What I meant is that they "assign" an 18 plus person to each room. Doesn't mean anything about having to split up anybody.

They assign an 18 year old or above to each room which meets there requirements. If you get adjoining rooms this presents no problems. If you have mature teenagers then even non-adjoining rooms makes no problems. What I meant is that they "assign" an 18 plus person to each room. Doesn't mean anything about having to split up anybody.

No, I asked and she told me an adult has to actually be in each room. I worded it that we were hoping to put the kids in one and the adults in one and was told that wasn't allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter