Fastpass return or replacement?

Early entry is the incentive

It's AN incentive but I'm not sure that will be enough for a lot of guests. 30 minutes is pretty paltry as far as I'm concerned, and that is only useful if you can manage to get out the door that early. Maybe the incentive won't be FP related at all but I think on-site is going to need incentive beyond that 30 minutes, whether it's fp or something else.

The ability to purchase FP could be limited to resort guests, availability skewed to resort guests or discounted to resort guests.

The incentive doesn't have to be free.

I can envision packages including tickets, lightly discounted dining and passes

All I know is if I'm going to have to buy another ticket (fastpass) on top of the already overpriced ticket just to be able to experience what I bought the original ticket for in the first place (you know, rides and stuff as it is a theme park), then I will kindly bow out. It's already hard to justify buying a ticket for entry to what is slowly becoming a giant singing nostalgia themed shopping mall with a questionable food court.

This exactly. We typically stay deluxe via DVC. If that wasn't an option, I would be hard pressed to pay for either moderate OR value knowing that I could stay off property somewhere equally as nice or nicer for less. We like deluxe because we
All I know is if I'm going to have to buy another ticket (fastpass) on top of the already overpriced ticket just to be able to experience what I bought the original ticket for in the first place (you know, rides and stuff as it is a theme park), then I will kindly bow out. It's already hard to justify buying a ticket for entry to what is slowly becoming a giant singing nostalgia themed shopping mall with a questionable food court.

100 times THIS.

It's AN incentive but I'm not sure that will be enough for a lot of guests. 30 minutes is pretty paltry as far as I'm concerned, and that is only useful if you can manage to get out the door that early. Maybe the incentive won't be FP related at all but I think on-site is going to need incentive beyond that 30 minutes, whether it's fp or something else.

Yeah, we aren't morning people so it's useless for us.

I AM a morning person, but it is next to impossible getting little humans out the door early enough to get Disney transportation for rope drop, let alone 30 minutes prior to that. Not to mention, Disney is an actual vacation for us and I'd prefer not to spend my mornings yelling at my kids to move faster 🤣 😂 I do that enough in my everyday life.

Maybe a bit off topic, but have you ever tried to be a morning person for Disney. I am in the same boat as you. I definitely think there is a genetic predisposition to being a morning person or a night owl. I am definitely not a morning person. But I also can't imagine not doing mornings at Disney. Do you just wait till 5pm to go to the parks. I don't see any point in going at 11 or something. We go back and take a nap midday, then come back. You get 5x more stuff done in the morning than midday

Maybe a bit off topic, but have you ever tried to be a morning person for Disney. I am in the same boat as you. I definitely think there is a genetic predisposition to being a morning person or a night owl. I am definitely not a morning person. But I also can't imagine not doing mornings at Disney. Do you just wait till 5pm to go to the parks. I don't see any point in going at 11 or something. We go back and take a nap midday, then come back. You get 5x more stuff done in the morning than midday

My parents dragged us out early for a few years until we were old enough to tell them to just leave without us. It's not worth being tired all day. We usually wake up around 8/8:30 and leave the room around somewhere between 9-10. No midday breaks, aside from spending some time in a nice lounge (Nomad, Trader Sam's), stay in the parks until close. Fastpass+ made this work out great, just book three in a row 10, 11, 12.

My parents dragged us out early for a few years until we were old enough to tell them to just leave without us. It's not worth being tired all day. We usually wake up around 8/8:30 and leave the room around somewhere between 9-10. No midday breaks, aside from spending some time in a nice lounge (Nomad, Trader Sam's), stay in the parks until close. Fastpass+ made this work out great, just book three in a row 10, 11, 12.

This has been our routine for the most part, too. We have little ones and hate to rush on vacation, so by the time everyone is dressed, fed, etc and we are ready to get out it's like 9:00-10:00. Sometimes we're doing character breakfasts, too, so that eats up the early am hours too. I always planned fastpasses for 11, 12, and 1ish. It worked out great.

We would never take another trip to Disney without FP or some kind of way to get/purchase them. Period. And I have April 22 ressies at GF. And Deluxe and Up resorts should have access to additional ones as well, either given or given the chance to purchase.

Maybe a bit off topic, but have you ever tried to be a morning person for Disney. I am in the same boat as you. I definitely think there is a genetic predisposition to being a morning person or a night owl. I am definitely not a morning person. But I also can't imagine not doing mornings at Disney.
Same. Even with something like WDW to look forward to, it's still a struggle for me getting up/out of the room. I've been known to bring my coffee INTO the shower, that's how bad it is :P but I absolutely love that first whiff of cool fresh air in the morning, greeting early morning CMs the way to the bus, sitting in the mostly empty bus stop with just ambient birds/lawnmowers etc... in the distance. It's so peaceful. The quality of light is so lovely in the parks in the morning too, and I love how well you can hear the entrance music. All of this is just pure joy, and I haven't even gotten on a ride yet.

Its not like you have to pay for it. Your ticket gets you access to the attractions, fastpass just gets you on them faster. The last sentence is so incredibly far off from my opinion, so I won't go there.

Its not like you have to pay for it. Your ticket gets you access to the attractions, fastpass just gets you on them faster. The last sentence is so incredibly far off from my opinion, so I won't go there.

This is true, but "have to" will really depend on how it's implemented and what it does to stand by lines. It's also relative to what you consider an acceptable wait time for a ride. For me, with little kids, I probably can't do a line longer than 30 minutes. If the new system is implemented and the average wait time is much longer than that, it's going to be a major problem for me. So either I will "have to" buy the fast pass, or I will have to skip Disney until my kids are older. Obviously it is a choice, but certain factors could make it less of a choice for some of us.

All this speculation is why I just really want to know what we're dealing with. I don't like being nickeled and dimed on top of a park ticket, but we're committed to our next trip (dvc rental) and for this once, if I have to do it to make the trip enjoyable, I will do it. But I'm not sure that I'd be itching to go back the following year if that's the case. As of now we're booked for 2022 and planning to return in 2023 but I have no problem going somewhere else if the prices and/or standby waits get crazy.

This is true, but "have to" will really depend on how it's implemented and what it does to stand by lines. It's also relative to what you consider an acceptable wait time for a ride. For me, with little kids, I probably can't do a line longer than 30 minutes. If the new system is implemented and the average wait time is much longer than that, it's going to be a major problem for me. So either I will "have to" buy the fast pass, or I will have to skip Disney until my kids are older. Obviously it is a choice, but certain factors could make it less of a choice for some of us.

Yep.

All this speculation is why I just really want to know what we're dealing with. I don't like being nickeled and dimed on top of a park ticket, but we're committed to our next trip (dvc rental) and for this once, if I have to do it to make the trip enjoyable, I will do it. But I'm not sure that I'd be itching to go back the following year if that's the case. As of now we're booked for 2022 and planning to return in 2023 but I have no problem going somewhere else if the prices and/or standby waits get crazy.
I have a trip planned for February as it splits my girls (5 and 3) birthdays and we'll make the most of it. I got family coming in from out of town too.
But the appeal of Disney is becoming lost to me. I'm a Florida resident who used to go to the parks multiple times a year for a weekend. That's just too expensive now.

I doubt you will ever have to buy another ticket to get on a ride...you can always wait on line.

FP has always been a huge perk that Many depend on to enjoy their favorite rides. Of course it will return in some form or fashion. The fact is Disney is expensive…part of that cost is justified in part due to having 3 ‘free fast passes’ each Park day. I personally am hugely disappointed in how Disney is handling this with the lack of communication regarding fast passes. And it is a big deal to me and others….not knowing if fast passes are even offered or if we are to spend 2,3 4x as much time waiting in Standby lines all day.

This is just my guess, but I think the new "Fastpass" system will not have advanced booking windows of time at all. I think it will be set up as a pay per click type system, with some free ones for resort guests. So you will basically have a standby wait time and an estimated "Fastpass" or "Lightning Pass" or "whatever pass" wait time and you will choose if you want to use your pass then or not.

So Space Mountain, for example, may have a 60 minute standby wait and a 15 minute lightning pass wait. You choose right then if you want to go standby or burn a free pass or pay the fee.

No more logging in your computer 60 days out to come up with your touring plan.

I am curious what the traditional fastpass utilization rate was for onsite guests. As crazy as it sounds to those of us on the Disboards, I bet there were a lot more people than you would imagine, even staying onsite, that didn't use their fastpasses. Probably because of last minute trips, last minute planning, etc.

Under my proposed system, lightning pass utilization would be higher because it doesn't require advance planning. Therefore, my guess is that onsite guests will get 2 free ones/day. Offsite guests will get zero.

Think about the perceived value for a minute. Assume the lightning passes average $10/person/use. For a family of 4, that's $80 of "free" lightning passes/day for staying onsite. With the additional 30 minute early entry, that is real value to staying onsite. All of a sudden, a moderate resort compares pretty well in value to my Holiday Inn Express room. In reality, they will be able to further increase Disney resort prices.

This is just my guess, but I think the new "Fastpass" system will not have advanced booking windows of time at all. I think it will be set up as a pay per click type system, with some free ones for resort guests. So you will basically have a standby wait time and an estimated "Fastpass" or "Lightning Pass" or "whatever pass" wait time and you will choose if you want to use your pass then or not.

So Space Mountain, for example, may have a 60 minute standby wait and a 15 minute lightning pass wait. You choose right then if you want to go standby or burn a free pass or pay the fee.

I am curious what the traditional fastpass utilization rate was for onsite guests. As crazy as it sounds to those of us on the Disboards, I bet there were a lot more people than you would imagine, even staying onsite, that didn't use their fastpasses. Probably because of last minute trips, last minute planning, etc.

Under my proposed system, lightning pass utilization would be higher because it doesn't require advance planning. Therefore, my guess is that onsite guests will get 2 free ones/day. Offsite guests will get zero.

Think about the perceived value for a minute. Assume the lightning passes average $10/person/use. For a family of 4, that's $80 of "free" lightning passes/day for staying onsite. With the additional 30 minute early entry, that is real value to staying onsite. All of a sudden, a moderate resort compares pretty well in value to my Holiday Inn Express room. In reality, they will be able to further increase Disney resort prices.

Interesting. :thumbsup2 Your system would, at the very least, restore some of the spontaneity of park touring/exploring.

I don't foresee them giving anything for free to resort guests as a matter of policy, I think that will be done on a promotional basis to drive reservations when they need to. The 30 minute early opening is a pretty big benefit because it gets you onto one long wait ride. The late hours for deluxe guests is a pretty large benefit too because the park will be pretty empty. I can see them giving resort guests an earlier booking window on rides with boarding groups (not sure why that isn't already being done).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter