Fastpass return or replacement?

This is absolutely ridiculous! $70 for a family 4 to just ride Peter Pan! o_O Hope this flops. Glad we got to visit DLP in 2017. Paid 46 Euro each to do both parks and had a great time. We are done. If they do the same with US parks, then we will spend our money to go to Universal, Europe, Asia, cruises, etc.. instead. I am sure we will get much nicer vacations for $10K. Just crazy!
Only if you want to use a fastpass. You can still queue. Last week I didnt see Peter Pan with a longer queue than 25-30 minutes at midday.
Peter Pan is open during EMH, then it is a walk on / 10 minutes.

To quote my dad “I don’t know what they’ve been smoking…..” holy cow with those prices!! I would never ever pay that. I don’t care what it was. Maybe if that was the total for all 4 of us but per person. Nope. Not going to happen. I’d rather be strategic about when we go and how we tour the park to reduce wait times then to fork out anything close to that. There’s no way that this system will be successful right? Who is going to pay this? Besides the mega rich and if you have that much money you are probably doing VIP anyway and don’t need it.

I would never ever pay that. I don’t care what it was.

That's the point. They would like if it worked more like Universal's Express Pass where the people most passionate about a short line can opt in, but you've got to REALLY want it, and most park goers decide to just use the standby system. That being said, I would expect them to play with the prices until they get the optimal ratio of passes vs stand-by.

Only if you want to use a fastpass. You can still queue. Last week I didnt see Peter Pan with a longer queue than 25-30 minutes at midday.
Peter Pan is open during EMH, then it is a walk on / 10 minutes.
Yes, I understand. When we went to DLP, it was not very crowded and we needed FPs just to get in 2 rides. The rest were walk on. That was in June 2017! I am worried about US parks with very large crowds. We always had FPs for all our trips, and never waited more than 20 minutes for any rides even during busy times. If they bring this to US parks, then it would be a different story. We refuse to stand in any lines for more than 20-30 minutes. Especially, if you are spending $$$$ for your once a year trip.

That's the point. They would like if it worked more like Universal's Express Pass where the people most passionate about a short line can opt in, but you've got to REALLY want it, and most park goers decide to just use the standby system. That being said, I would expect them to play with the prices until they get the optimal ratio of passes vs stand-by.
If it worked like Universal's Express Pass, then it would be included with an onsite stay and would act for every attraction (not per attraction).

I've always been able to get really nice vacations for much cheaper than a Disney trip. But I love Disney. I love my other trips too, but I can't get Disney at them, so they wouldn't even come close to being a replacement. Thankfully my love for Disney has only gotten stronger in recent years. So it will be a very long while, if ever, that I get to that point.
Yes, we have as well. We love Disney just like you, but you are where we were 10 years ago. For many years, we enjoyed our Disney trips with our younger children. We felt that we have all inclusive trips with Disney, with DME, dining plans (some free), free FPs, discount for rooms, and so on... Crowds were less as well and of course no pandemic to worry about. Now, we feel that we are being nickle and dimed to death. I am so glad that we have those trips and great memories with my children. Now they are young adults (still Disney lovers) and we were hoping to continue going there. I guess it is time to explore other parts of the world. Kind of sad though. :( Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic.

One of the reasons I'm willing to pay Universal's Express Price is that it's unlimited rides. But I do need to keep that in mind if we get this to really do the math - $30 per person for 3 rides - especially if I can make all three of those rides Flight of Passage - Yes, worth it.

If it worked like Universal's Express Pass, then it would be included with an onsite stay and would act for every attraction (not per attraction).
- Remember, Express Pass is ONLY included on Deluxe stays.

But yes, Paid Fastpasses are going to seriously make the EMH in the morning and the Extended Magic hours in the evening for Deluxe guests SUPER important for planning if you don't want to pay for the FP. Again, don't disagree with Disney for trying to make folks stay at the resorts, they had seriously lost their on-site advantage when you compared the price vs the extras.

Still hoping for the 'Wish' idea instead. Free wishes for resort guests, buy extra wishes or any wishes if you're offsite. Can use them for FPs, Meet & Greets, Fireworks seating etc.

Last edited:

One of the reasons I'm willing to pay Universal's Express Price is that it's unlimited rides. But I do need to keep that in mind if we get this to really do the math - $30 per person for 3 rides - especially if I can make all three of those rides Flight of Passage - Yes, worth it.

- Remember, Express Pass is ONLY included on Deluxe stays.
Actually, I doubt that FOP would be $10. More like the 15 Euro version which is close to $60 per person for 3 rides which is $240 for a family of 4 x 7 days is $1680 for a week to get FPs only!! I guess if you are single, that would not be much.

I am 100 percent willing to pay for some sort of Disney Fastpass system, particularly if it works as well as it does at Universal. When I go to Universal, I always make sure to stay at one of the three resorts that offers the unlimited pass, rather than buying it individually for each member of my party. The cost of that resort is much higher than what I would pay at the other Universal resorts but I think with the express pass it’s a great value. If there is some system in place at Disney that works as efficiently I would be thrilled to have a similar option, even if it adds a cost to my vacation. i suspect Disney knows there is enough demand for this to make it a worthy change.

Universal froze the resort express pass acess. It's not applicable to a new park, Volcano Bay. It isn't included with New resorts. Royal Pacific and Sapphire Falls are equivalent resorts. The only real difference is included express access.

Yes, we have as well. We love Disney just like you, but you are where we were 10 years ago. For many years, we enjoyed our Disney trips with our younger children. We felt that we have all inclusive trips with Disney, with DME, dining plans (some free), free FPs, discount for rooms, and so on... Crowds were less as well and of course no pandemic to worry about. Now, we feel that we are being nickle and dimed to death. I am so glad that we have those trips and great memories with my children. Now they are young adults (still Disney lovers) and we were hoping to continue going there. I guess it is time to explore other parts of the world. Kind of sad though. :( Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic.
I've been enjoying the parks for over 25 years now, so it's not new for me. But the magic has only gone up from my first trip in the early 90s. The last 5ish years have been so much better than things were 10 or even 20 years ago for me. The crowds have been less for me on most trips in recent years than they used to be too.

Universal froze the resort express pass acess. It's not applicable to a new park, Volcano Bay. It isn't included with New resorts. Royal Pacific and Sapphire Falls are equivalent resorts. The only real difference is included express access.
What do you mean by equivalent? They might be similarly “nice” but Royal Pacific is much pricier a night that Sapphire Falls. I think rack rate for a RPR standard room is around $400 Sapphire Falls is about half that. In my mind Universal is still “charging” for the express pass that way.

Very true. But it is still a bonus for choosing RPR, HRH, or Portofino. That's a lot compared to 30 minutes early admission or 2 hours evening hours (limited nights, select parks) at Disney (both of which are possible even if not staying in an actual Disney resort).

I've been enjoying the parks for over 25 years now, so it's not new for me. But the magic has only gone up from my first trip in the early 90s. The last 5ish years have been so much better than things were 10 or even 20 years ago for me. The crowds have been less for me on most trips in recent years than they used to be too.
You must really know how to visit the parks! My experience over the past 5ish years has been much less "magical" than it was in the 90's and early 21st century. What I've witnessed has been increased crowds, prices that exceed the rate of inflation by more than double, mediocre dining options, and a reduced commitment to maintenance. I am clearly doing something wrong.

I am 100 percent willing to pay for some sort of Disney Fastpass system, particularly if it works as well as it does at Universal. When I go to Universal, I always make sure to stay at one of the three resorts that offers the unlimited pass, rather than buying it individually for each member of my party. The cost of that resort is much higher than what I would pay at the other Universal resorts but I think with the express pass it’s a great value. If there is some system in place at Disney that works as efficiently I would be thrilled to have a similar option, even if it adds a cost to my vacation. i suspect Disney knows there is enough demand for this to make it a worthy change.

I had posted somewhere that I just don't think Disney can set up Express Pass like Universal has because of the larger number of visitors. I added up the number of hotel rooms included at Universal for EP and then the Deluxe and DVC rooms at Disney (which would presumably be the ones included in any kind of express pass) and Disney had something like 4x the number of rooms that Universal has. And while Disney is larger, I don't think they have 4x the number of attractions. I just don't see how they could possibly offer anything like EP at Disney without making standby completely impossible. I think it more likely that they offer a certain number of FP to on-site guests with Deluxe likely getting more than moderate or value and that off-site can only get them for an added cost. But who really knows what's coming? I don't see the paid FP that is set up like Paris being likely at WDW, I think they would find it just too cost-prohibitive and very few people would buy it. But then again, maybe that's the goal.

You must really know how to visit the parks! My experience over the past 5ish years has been much less "magical" than it was in the 90's and early 21st century. What I've witnessed has been increased crowds, prices that exceed the rate of inflation by more than double, mediocre dining options, and a reduced commitment to maintenance. I am clearly doing something wrong.
Idk, but I'm not getting any of that. Yes, the price is higher than other vacation destinations, but IMO the value is definitely there.

I had posted somewhere that I just don't think Disney can set up Express Pass like Universal has because of the larger number of visitors. I added up the number of hotel rooms included at Universal for EP and then the Deluxe and DVC rooms at Disney (which would presumably be the ones included in any kind of express pass) and Disney had something like 4x the number of rooms that Universal has. And while Disney is larger, I don't think they have 4x the number of attractions. I just don't see how they could possibly offer anything like EP at Disney without making standby completely impossible. I think it more likely that they offer a certain number of FP to on-site guests with Deluxe likely getting more than moderate or value and that off-site can only get them for an added cost. But who really knows what's coming? I don't see the paid FP that is set up like Paris being likely at WDW, I think they would find it just too cost-prohibitive and very few people would buy it. But then again, maybe that's the goal.
I don’t disagree. I mentioned something that works as efficiently as it does at Universal. I’d like the feeling of ease for some of the harder rides. And if I could get around tiering that would be great. The idea of paying something to know I have quick access to Millenium Falcon, Runaway Railway and Slinky Dog in one day sounds amazing!

I don’t disagree. I mentioned something that works as efficiently as it does at Universal. I’d like the feeling of ease for some of the harder rides. And if I could get around tiering that would be great. The idea of paying something to know I have quick access to Millenium Falcon, Runaway Railway and Slinky Dog in one day sounds amazing!

Agreed (although I'd pick different rides :) ). I wish I felt optimistic that Disney will come up with something like that.

Pricing revealed for Paid Fast Pass Service now available at Disneyland Paris
  • Autopia $9.50
  • Big Thunder Mountain $14
  • Buzz Lightyear $18
  • Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure $14
  • Space Mountain $11
  • Star Tours $9.50
  • Peter Pan’s Flight $18
  • Tower of Terror $18
“Premier Access will officially debut at Disneyland Paris on August 5th.

Guest still have the option to use Standby Pass while visiting Disneyland Paris.

Standby Pass allows guests to spend part of their wait time for select attractions outside of the physical queue line, although it does not provide immediate access to an attraction. This service can be activated during certain periods of the day, subject to availability and dependent on day-to-day needs in the parks. When activated, guests can use the Disneyland Paris App to book a time slot to enter the physical queue line of an attraction and return to stand in the queue at that time.”

If something like this came to WDW it might not be horrible. There’s still the free virtual queue opportunities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter