February 2014

Hi everyone!!:wave2: DH and I are going Feb 7-15. We have gone in December the last 2 years, but decided to change it up a bit this time. My resort choice will change a zillion times, but right now we are planning on POR. :goodvibes

We are going Jan 31 - Feb 7th. Waiting to see if the military room discount is extended before we decide on the resort! Last time we went the end of May/ first of june..I cannot stand the heat!

Still not sure if we are doing February or May, or .. both !?!?! Buahaha.

If we do Feb 2014, it will be Feb 13 - 22 !!!

Guess it depends on deals, AP rates, etc. Been back for 2 weeks and I already miss it :(

We went the same week February 2012, it was pretty warm, it only rained one day and only for part of the day, I THINK the water parks were open, and it was warm enough to use them for sure. But then, we are Canadian, so as long as its above 65 or 70, I am up for water :)

The parks were OK for crowd levels, despite the fact that crowd calendars say its a "red" time of year. The Sat Sun Mon of presidents weekend were quite busy, but tolerable, the week days were actually OK we found. Of course, we are also pretty good for planning things and getting Fast Passes in a good order, and all this will change by 2014 with FP+.

All in all, it was a great vacation and time to be there.

Shaden Welcome to our group! I have you added to the list.

I love to hear that the crowds were manageable around President's Day.

It funny how weather temperatures can mean different things to people, it is just based on perspective! We are hoping for temps in the 70's too so we can swim.

Hi everyone!!:wave2: DH and I are going Feb 7-15. We have gone in December the last 2 years, but decided to change it up a bit this time. My resort choice will change a zillion times, but right now we are planning on POR. :goodvibes

Valgoof, I am happy you joined our thread! I understand about possibly switching resorts. I am in the same boat as you. Just let me know if you do and I will update the list.

Have you stayed at POR before? I have been using my ipad and the screen doesn't! Show the signatures!. Bummer!

I have stayed at two of the mods and am considering the other two. Right now I am booked at AoA LM to save some money. It is new and looks like a fun place to stay but tI am not looking forward to the double beds. We have never stayed at a value either.

I just might change.

We are going Jan 31 - Feb 7th. Waiting to see if the military room discount is extended before we decide on the resort! Last time we went the end of May/ first of june..I cannot stand the heat!

Welcome soonerlpn! I want to first thank you and your family member's service to our country. I know the whole family makes sacrifices when Simone is in the military.

I am like you, on our past two trips the heat really got to me! So, I am really looking forward to the weather in Feb, whatever it may be! I figure even if the temps are high there won't be the humidity to deal with.

Have you thought about staying at Shades of Green, the military resort? The pictures I have seen look beautiful and it is next to the Poly

Valgoof, I am happy you joined our thread! I understand about possibly switching resorts. I am in the same boat as you. Just let me know if you do and I will update the list.

Have you stayed at POR before? I have been using my ipad and the screen doesn't! Show the signatures!. Bummer!

I have stayed at two of the mods and am considering the other two. Right now I am booked at AoA LM to save some money. It is new and looks like a fun place to stay but tI am not looking forward to the double beds. We have never stayed at a value either.

I just might change.

I have not stayed at POR. I stayed offsite several times and then last December my DH and I stayed at POP. Loved POP and would stay there again, if they didnt have double beds!! We are considering AoA LK suite for all that extra room. DH loved the pictures of POR though, so that is the plan right now. The multiple bus stops make me nervous!!!! If a fantastic deal comes out, I will switch to WL. If I win the lottery, I will switch to CR. :rotfl2:

I have not stayed at POR. I stayed offsite several times and then last December my DH and I stayed at POP. Loved POP and would stay there again, if they didnt have double beds!! We are considering AoA LK suite for all that extra room. DH loved the pictures of POR though, so that is the plan right now. The multiple bus stops make me nervous!!!! If a fantastic deal comes out, I will switch to WL. If I win the lottery, I will switch to CR. :rotfl2:

I wouldn't worry to much about the multiple bus stops. During my two different stays, at a mod, it didn't seem to be that big a deal. We would just try to get on at one of the first couple of stops so we would have a seat. Disney is pretty good at sending multiple busses for the same park to the resorts so if one was full we would catch the next a few minutes later. I think that only happened once. All the other times, there was plenty of room on the bus for us in the morning. We are not people to get up super early to make rope drop but we did get to the parks within the first hour or so of them opening.

I have heard lots of great reviews of POP but you will probably enjoy the extra space in the room and the more relaxing feel of the mods. I alos liked that they have quiet pools as well as the main one in case it is busy.

Joining in the fun! Plan is Feb 1-9 at POR or POFQ. Nothing booked yet still want to wait for 2014 to be availed online to play with.

Joining in the fun! Plan is Feb 1-9 at POR or POFQ. Nothing booked yet still want to wait for 2014 to be availed online to play with.

Welcome! I just added your information. Have you stayed at either one? I am still trying to decide myself. I was playing around with prices yesterday using Nov as a guide by really wishing the prices are out now.

Boy did the free dining offer and room only discount for Sept. look good!

Welcome! I just added your information. Have you stayed at either one? I am still trying to decide myself. I was playing around with prices yesterday using Nov as a guide by really wishing the prices are out now.

Boy did the free dining offer and room only discount for Sept. look good!

I have stayed at POR twice and love it. This last trip was Feb 2013 with 2 kids. POR seemed much larger with 2 kids. We spent a day at FQ and I liked how small it was with small children. As far as food court and decor I prefer POR. At this time I'm open to either location as long as POR is a preferred room location.

Last February was our first time to move down to a moderate from former stays at deluxes. We stayed in a Royal Room at POR and loved it. But the 4 bus stops were a downer. Next year we're booked for POFQ for the smaller size even though I like the looks of POR better. Once the discounts are published if there is a 20% difference between those two like there was this year we might still switch back.

Hello Everyone! Such a relief to see a thread with so much helpful information. We will be making our first trip to WDW Feb 22- Mar 1. My DDs have their hearts set on staying in a Royal Room at POR. I have a few concerns about the 4 stops, size of the resort/location of room, if it will be warm enough for swimming, if Splash mountain will be open and if blizzard beach will be open (they really want to go there!).

Do you think first timers will really be disappointed by the 4 stops? I am not too worried about the temp and swimming since we are from up north and 68 is hot enough ;) . Splash mountain is not negotiable though...it is a must see (according to the DDs). Guess I will have to wait and see about the ride closures.

Any suggestions for first timers are appreciated!

Splash Mountain was closed the week before President's Day this year. I'm not sure when it reopened. Our Royal Room was very close to one of the quiet pools and it was good swimming weather for the pool considering it was February. However we did not use it since we're not really pool people. The few that were in it had it mostly to themselves. I admit I've been spoiled by staying at the Polynesian most visits for transportation ease. The Boardwalk Inn had lots of transportation options but when taking the bus it did share with the other EPCOT resorts. Animal Kingdom Lodge had been our only previous resort with 2 stops and the need to bus everywhere. The four bus stops at POR wasn't a deal breaker but I did not care for them. When they have a cast member at the South Depot (main stop) I understand it works better but no cast member was there during our stay.

Hello Everyone! Such a relief to see a thread with so much helpful information. We will be making our first trip to WDW Feb 22- Mar 1. My DDs have their hearts set on staying in a Royal Room at POR. I have a few concerns about the 4 stops, size of the resort/location of room, if it will be warm enough for swimming, if Splash mountain will be open and if blizzard beach will be open (they really want to go there!).

Do you think first timers will really be disappointed by the 4 stops? I am not too worried about the temp and swimming since we are from up north and 68 is hot enough ;) . Splash mountain is not negotiable though...it is a must see (according to the DDs). Guess I will have to wait and see about the ride closures.

Welcome esmee1! How exciting to be planning your first trip! We are hoping one of the water parks will be open and the weather will cooperate.

If Splash Mountain is closed during your stay don't worry there are tons of other must see and do! Splash Mountain is okay but slow for most of it. It reminds me of the log flume at Six Flags ecxept for the story line

I would have to say for first timers just enjoy it. Don't stress about seeing everything because you won't be able to no matter what. So take the time to stop and absorb the scenery.

That said, I would spend at least one full day at Mk. try to ride It a small world. It is iconic classic Disney!

Soaring in Epcot is great too!

I don't think Splash would be closed for refurbishment 2 years in a row...or at least I hope not. We still had lost to do without Splash.

I don't want to assume that just because you have found the disboards that you know some of the basics all first time visitors need to know. Be sure that you understand the Fast Pass system and what attractions have it. Also, if you want to eat at any of the more popular table service restaurants make "reservations" called an ADR , acronym for advance dining reservation. You are eligible to do that 180 days prior to your check-in date. And a bonus for staying in a resort on property that is a 180 + 10 booking ability. Dinner at Be Our Guest in the MK is currently about the most difficult ADR to secure.

My advise is to make a touring plan but do not get upset when things happen and you miss doing some of the things you had planned on doing. When we took our granddaughters we had discussed with them the things they wanted to do and then when we actually got there other attractions or characters caught their eye and we just went with the flow. Other than changing 1 dining reservation we did eat at our planned places.

Half the fun is in the planning!

When they have a cast member at the South Depot (main stop) I understand it works better but no cast member was there during our stay.

So is the South Depot the best stop or the first stop? Or is this just not important at all?

We are hoping one of the water parks will be open and the weather will cooperate. Don't stress about seeing everything because you won't be able to no matter what. I would spend at least one full day at Mk.

I swear that not stressing is one of the hardest things to keep in mind :crazy2: We are planning 2 days at MK. I have been to Disneyland a few times but it has been at least 10 yrs and I understand that WDW is sooo much more spread out. What do you plan to do if the water parks are not open?

I don't think Splash would be closed for refurbishment 2 years in a row...or at least I hope not.

Me too!

...if you want to eat at any of the more popular table service restaurants make "reservations" called an ADR , acronym for advance dining reservation. You are eligible to do that 180 days prior to your check-in date. And a bonus for staying in a resort on property that is a 180 + 10 booking ability.

So at 190 days until my reservation I can make an ADR? Speaking of ADRs, how many is too many? I was thinking of only making 2 and now I am considering 3. Maybe I should just leave it at two and consider going to Cirque?

I really appreciate all the expert answers! :goodvibes

Hi all!

I already have plans to visit WDW in September and November of this year, BUT, you can bet I will also be heading up there in February since that is my birthday month!

I was thinking of booking Feb. 7th - Feb. 11, but after reading this thread I am a little afraid of screaming mobs of cheerleaders :cheer2: :scared1:

I have plenty of time to decide on my dates.

I think I will probably stay at AOA.....or maybe ASMu...but probably AOA. Depends on what discounts come out.

glad to have found this thread! :wave:

So at 190 days until my reservation I can make an ADR? Speaking of ADRs, how many is too many? I was thinking of only making 2 and now I am considering 3. Maybe I should just leave it at two and consider going to Cirque?

I really appreciate all the expert answers! :goodvibes

The 180+10 means that 180 days before your trip you can make ADRs for up to ten days of a trip all at once if you are staying on site. This means you do not have to log back in and call for each day of your trip.

The number of ADRs you need is really up to your family's touring style and budget. Some people plan at least one sit down table service (TS) meal a day and make an ADR for each TS meal. Others plan and make a few and then just decide their other meals while there.

If you think you might one TS meal a day go ahead and make an ADR. You can cancel them later and change them while in the parks. Making ADRs are very important if you go during a busy time or when free dining is offered. Since free dining has been offered in the past during Feb. I would go ahead and make one for each day I am there.

Hi all!

I already have plans to visit WDW in September and November of this year, BUT, you can bet I will also be heading up there in February since that is my birthday month!

I was thinking of booking Feb. 7th - Feb. 11, but after reading this thread I am a little afraid of screaming mobs of cheerleaders :cheer2: :scared1:

I have plenty of time to decide on my dates.

I think I will probably stay at AOA.....or maybe ASMu...but probably AOA. Depends on what discounts come out

glad to have found this thread! :wave:

I love your screen name!!

Great to have you a part of our group. It would be fun to be in WDW to celebrate a birthday. I have added you to the list. Just let me know if the dates change and if the resort changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter