• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Time DVC Purchase

EmilyKay

Earning My Ears
Hi!
So we are planning on purchasing a DVC contract in May and I have a few questions for those experienced with their closing process:
-About how long did the process take?
-What form of payment did they accept for the down payment (card, check, cashiers check, etc)?
-Is it true that the purchase is not reported to credit bureaus?
-(and a fun one) opinion on CCV vs Riviera now that that is an option?

I assume you are talking about buying direct from Disney, which I can't help with, but someone else will. If you are talking about buying resale then I can help :)

Hello EmilyKay,

If you are thinking of purchasing Riviera, I hope you are already aware of the resale restrictions placed on that resort. If you decide you need to get out for whatever reason, the new buyer can only book Riviera in the future, they can no longer trade / book into the other DVC resorts. CCV doesn't have that restrictions, when you go to sell that contract, the new buyer can trade into the original 14 DVC resorts. You may want to take that into consideration if you don't already know before deciding which resort is best for you and your family.

Other than that, I never purchased direct before and don't know the answer to those questions, but I am sure someone will chime in to help out.

Great3

I'd buy resale not direct.

Even if you do buy direct you are not limited to those two resorts. Buy where you want to stay.

Don't finance through Disney they charge ridiculous interest rates.

I'd buy resale not direct.

Even if you do buy direct you are not limited to those two resorts. Buy where you want to stay.

Don't finance through Disney they charge ridiculous interest rates.

I would say don't finance.... If you don't have the cash on hand it's probably not a good place to spend money, but I'm not an FA :)

How big is your family? CCV studios and one bedrooms only sleep 4. We're a family of 5 so I would never consider CCV. There are many trips where I only have enough points for a one bedroom.

Personally I wouldn't buy direct or finance.

On top of only sleeping 4, CCV stduios are providing to be an 11-month booking nearly year round because of the points imbalance at Copper Creek. Lots of small contracts sold. The cabins inflate the number of points at the resort. We are at 11 months from dates in DVC low season, and CCV stduios are disappearing at 11 months exactly.

Fall is much worse, if you are thinking of fall travel.

No one knows how Riviera is really going to pan out.

Don't buy either CCV or Riviera assuming you'll switch to a favorite resort at 7 months, even if the guide says you can. Guides lie.

I purchased direct last year at CCV and the process was really fast. The points were into my account the next day. They mailed me the documents which I signed and sent back and everything was all set. Real easy process.

I paid the entire purchase on my Disney Premier Visa. I believe they gave me 6 months interest free however, I only really did it to get the 2 for 1 points on the credit card.

One other thing to note: If you purchase in May and choose a Use Year that happens to be after that, you will get the 2018 points also. Some guides will use that as a sales tactic mentioning if you buy now they will "throw them in" as an extra which isn't the case. They have to give them to you if you are still in the current Use Year.

Hi!
So we are planning on purchasing a DVC contract in May and I have a few questions for those experienced with their closing process:
-About how long did the process take?
-What form of payment did they accept for the down payment (card, check, cashiers check, etc)?
-Is it true that the purchase is not reported to credit bureaus?

- We just bought CCV about a month ago...Our points were in the account the next day if we wanted to book a trip right away - even before all the documents came for us to sign. They send the documents overnight through fedex...you then sign them (you need to go to a notary for one of them to be signed) and then you mail them back. All said - everything cleared very easily and the process was very easy.

- We just used our credit card (we did this because we wanted the miles for flights - and we had the cash to pay it off right away). I can't answer if they require you use a credit card or not though (I got the impression they preferred it because it expedites the process since you won't get your points until your down payment has been made - credit card achieved that the quickest).

- If you're financing - I think it is as they run a credit report to determine your rate (premium, preferred, standard)

- CCV is almost sold out (I think someone recently said their guide said 97% sold out as of last week) it's possible it won't be available in May.

We went CCV because of the resale restrictions that were going to be put on Riviera...we also considered AKL because DVC had those points directly...however we went CCV due to the sizes of the resorts with the mindset that if we wanted to stay at AKL it would be a little easier to switch into there at 7-months compared with CCV since CCV is one of the smallest resorts in the DVC lineup.

Last edited:
At the very least they speak very creatively about availability at seven months. Tell the guide you're speaking to that you're very interested in staying in studios at the Grand Californian. If they say you'll have no problems (or words that give you that impression) definitely leave without signing anything.

I saw another recent buyer angsting about being unable to get AKV Value or BWV Standard at 7 months with CCV points the other day. The guide who uses those points charts... is still on the loose.

Here is a link to the point charts for all the DVC resorts
https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/copper-creek-point-charts.htm
Compare how many points it would take to stay at CCV v. Riviera for your planned ‘typical’ stay at the time you would usually go:
A week in a CCV studio during the cheapest season is 107 points v. Riviera studios 109/134 depending on view.
A week in a CCV studio during the second most expensive season is 127 points v. Riviera Studios 160/190.
Generally it will take more points to stay at Riviera than to stay at CCV, thus the same number of points will ‘go further’ at CCV than at Riviera, unless as mentioned you are a travel party of 5, in which case at CCV you’ll need a 2 br., whereas at Riviera you would fit in a studio or 1 br..
If the guide pushes the cheap pointwise 2 person studios at Riviera realize that there are very few of them and that more than likely they will be very hard to book even at 11 months - I own at AKV and the point saving value villas are very hard to get even at 11 months, I expect that the tower 2 person studios will ultimately follow the same pattern as Riviera sells more contracts.
The advice here is usually to not finance a DVC purchase, that said, many people don’t have a spare $20,000+ just laying around and opt to finance. In the past, while not ideal, there’s been some safety from the knowledge that historically new DVC resorts that hit the resale market early have sold for fairly high prices shielding buyers who need/want to sell from a severe financial hit. There is a very high likelihood that Riviera will not follow that pattern given the new restriction on resale buyers there being only able to stay at Riviera. If someone finances Riviera and needs to resell early they may find themselves upside down on the loan. Do ask your guide about the loss of resale value caused by the new rule - and if the guide responds with DVC’s Right of First Refusal ROFR, realize that during the most recent recession DVC did not support the resale prices via ROFR so prices dipped.
DVC in the past has been unlike many timeshares which are worth pennies on the dollar when it comes time to resell them. Part of the reason for this is that DVC has not been run like many other timeshares, the recent changes DVC has made has made it much more like other timeshares, thus there is more uncertainty about future resale value w/ both Riviera and CCV given the new resale restrictions than has historically been the case w/ DVC. We won’t know for a couple of years how it will all play out, but the risk of a financial loss is higher than in the past IMO.
Finally, compare maintenance fees, CCV is at $7.43 per point v. Riviera at $8.31 per point, so at present the same number of points will cost more annually at Riviera.
Ultimately, however, purchasing DVC is not based on economics, it’s based on what you ‘want’ thus visit both resorts before you take the DVC tour, and you will most likely know which resort appeals the most to you - Riviera with it’s gondola access to Epcot & DHS or CCV with it’s boat/bus access to MK. Riviera w/ its’ ‘European’ feel or CCV with it grand wilderness lodge feel, etc.. To me with what you will be paying for DVC it’s wisest to spend a few dollars more and get your favorite resort rather than being stuck with your second choice just to save a little.

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about buying direct from Disney, which I can't help with, but someone else will. If you are talking about buying resale then I can help :)
Yes we are going to buy direct for now, but plan to purchase an additional contract resale once our family grows

The loans I have do not show up on my credit report. The process to speak with a guide in person and fill out the paperwork takes several hours. You have the option of having them send the paperwork to your house and then sending it back to them signed or you can complete the paperwork on property. You then have ten days to cancel the contract if you want. I know they take credit cards. I am not sure about cash. I would assume the will take a check. They will go everything when you meet with them. Points show up within a day or two after you make your initial deposit if you have an existing membership. It may take a little longer if you don’t have an existing membership.

- We just bought CCV about a month ago...Our points were in the account the next day if we wanted to book a trip right away - even before all the documents came for us to sign. They send the documents overnight through fedex...you then sign them (you need to go to a notary for one of them to be signed) and then you mail them back. All said - everything cleared very easily and the process was very easy.

- We just used our credit card (we did this because we wanted the miles for flights - and we had the cash to pay it off right away). I can't answer if they require you use a credit card or not though (I got the impression they preferred it because it expedites the process since you won't get your points until your down payment has been made - credit card achieved that the quickest).

- If you're financing - I think it is as they run a credit report to determine your rate (premium, preferred, standard)

- CCV is almost sold out (I think someone recently said their guide said 97% sold out as of last week) it's possible it won't be available in May.

We went CCV because of the resale restrictions that were going to be put on Riviera...we also considered AKL because DVC had those points directly...however we went CCV due to the sizes of the resorts with the mindset that if we wanted to stay at AKL it would be a little easier to switch into there at 7-months compared with CCV since CCV is one of the smallest resorts in the DVC lineup.

Thank you so much!

The loans I have do not show up on my credit report. The process to speak with a guide in person and fill out the paperwork takes several hours. You have the option of having them send the paperwork to your house and then sending it back to them signed or you can complete the paperwork on property. You then have ten days to cancel the contract if you want. I know they take credit cards. I am not sure about cash. I would assume the will take a check. They will go everything when you meet with them. Points show up within a day or two after you make your initial deposit if you have an existing membership. It may take a little longer if you don’t have an existing membership.

thank you so much!

Buying direct is so fast and easy and I do think it is the right choice for contracts with many years left (like CCV or RVA). Minimum 10% down for financing, 20% for the lowest rate (which is 10% APR). Minimum of 50 points must be purchased for financing. Minimum of 75 points must be purchased for direct benefits (though I think the new minimum for new members is well above this at 100).

Very low bar for credit approval (because there is virtually no risk for DVD to finance contracts). There is a credit check, but accounts are not reported, so the debt will never appear on a credit check.

You can put all or some of the contract price on a credit card. You can choose to roll closing costs into finance payment or pay them with down payment. If you purchase before 4pm, your points will be in your account, ready to use, same day...generally within an hour. Points can only be used for stays 30 days out or later until you officially close on the contract.

Last edited:
Minimum of 50 points must be purchased for financing
This is correct. However, as a new purchaser there will be other minimums that need to be met, namely 100 points (unknown for Riviera since it hasn't been sold to new members yet), except for purchasing at OKW (50), SSR (50), VB (75), and HHI (75)

Also I will add if you buy direct you can have them break up the contract into smaller point contracts so downsizing might be easier. I didn't have them do this when I bought and regret it. Though it does add to the closing costs to do this.

The 100 point minimum for a 1st time purchaser is not generally enforced. 75 has been allowed for all except OKW and SSR (at 50). May be dependent on guide.

If you buy at CCV or Riviera for studios, buy a fixed/guaranteed week studio.

It’ll be worth its weight in gold and I wouldn’t buy either to stay in studios without a guarantee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter