First timer... questions about Nassau

livvydo

Earning My Ears
Hi! It's my family's first Disney cruise and first time cruising with a 4 year old! I haven't found an excursion that works for us, but I see that Junkanoo beach is walking distance. How doable/safe would it be to walk there from the port, especially with a 4 year old. Will the route be pretty populated with other cruisers going that direction? I'm going to try and get a stroller for her to make it easier. Alternately, would it be safe to take a cab the short distance?

I've never done Junkanoo beach personally. I will say my first trip to nassau was a little meh. Lots of locals in the port area really in your face and it made me uncomfortable. Personally when I have my kids with me I won't go do things right in port. I pay for a beach day with one of the excursions because those take you to a private beach.

That way the only time you deal with the port, if at all, is just getting back on the ship. My last trip they dropped us right back off to the ship.

I would definitely prefer a paid excursion to prevent all that. However, my concern is a) I've read negative reviews about there being a ton of waiting around for the ferry, which is not ideal for a 4 year old and b) once you're there, you're stuck. 4 year olds are unpredictable, and I'm worried we will go on a 20 minute boat ride to the beach, she'll be ready to go back the ship after 30 minutes, but we're stuck there for 4 more hours. I would book a blue lagoon or pearl island excursion in a heart beat if, say, there were return ferries starting around lunchtime.

Our first trip my son was about that age. We easily walked to Pirate Museum from the port which was cute and then across the street to Colonial Hilton where we had bought day passes ahead of time. Walked back to the port when we were done at the hotel.

Our first trip my son was about that age. We easily walked to Pirate Museum from the port which was cute and then across the street to Colonial Hilton where we had bought day passes ahead of time. Walked back to the port when we were done at the hotel.
Did you feel comfortable? I've read about people at the port being pushy, following you, asking for money or to take you on a tour....I would feel so uncomfortable in that situation.

I really wanted to do the daypass at the Colonial Hilton, but it appears they've closed permanently.

Did you feel comfortable? I've read about people at the port being pushy, following you, asking for money or to take you on a tour....I would feel so uncomfortable in that situation.

I really wanted to do the daypass at the Colonial Hilton, but it appears they've closed permanently.
We felt comfortable and it is a short walk. I'd look at other day pass options and wouldn't hesitate to book that way again. Also check out youtube since there are some videos there showing walk to both Pirate Museum and beach.

Last edited:
I would definitely prefer a paid excursion to prevent all that. However, my concern is a) I've read negative reviews about there being a ton of waiting around for the ferry, which is not ideal for a 4 year old and b) once you're there, you're stuck. 4 year olds are unpredictable, and I'm worried we will go on a 20 minute boat ride to the beach, she'll be ready to go back the ship after 30 minutes, but we're stuck there for 4 more hours. I would book a blue lagoon or pearl island excursion in a heart beat if, say, there were return ferries starting around lunchtime.

We did Blue Lagoon beach day excursion several years ago. They had return boats starting just after lunch running every X minutes and you could take any one of them back. We had time to relax in some hammocks, enjoy the water, walk around and explore the island, visit the gift shop, have lunch and then we were done so got on the first boat back.

I suggest reaching out to DCL to ask when the return boats run or if you are tied to one specific time.

Yes, there are people at the port and by the Straw Market trying to sell rides, tours, and merchandise. And some of them do get a little aggressive. They are just trying to make a living. I don’t think they are particularly dangerous though. But it comes down to how you will feel in a situation like that. It’s always best to be alert to your surroundings, don’t wear a lot of jewelry or flash a lot of cash. I was there last summer and it didn’t bother me but I’m a guy and wasn’t with young children. You have to decide what is best for you and your family. Either way, enjoy your trip.

Hi! It's my family's first Disney cruise and first time cruising with a 4 year old! I haven't found an excursion that works for us, but I see that Junkanoo beach is walking distance. How doable/safe would it be to walk there from the port, especially with a 4 year old. Will the route be pretty populated with other cruisers going that direction? I'm going to try and get a stroller for her to make it easier. Alternately, would it be safe to take a cab the short distance?
I have stayed in the Hilton where the cruise ships dock....
I have never felt like my safety was at risk in the tourist areas, but if asked, the hotel will warn guests not to leave tourist areas.
I would be careful about amount of cash I had one me, keep my wallet in a front pocket and walk away from those soliciting openly on the street....

My DH and I did a snorkeling excursion on our first cruise which dropped you off so you had to walk through the port area and we hated it so we didn’t get off the boat in Nassau for many trips. We decided to try it again last November. We now have a DD 2 year old. We walked to the ferry to Paradise Island and that area of the port was very sketchy and dirt. Once we got over to paradise island we had day passes for Atlantis and that area was nice. We decided to take a taxi back and our driver passed out and wrecked into another car. Thankfully going slow enough we weren’t hurt but we were over by the beach you are talking about so had to walk a few blocks back. I felt very uncomfortable. It was very dirty and crowded with a lot of locals in your face.

My DH and I did a snorkeling excursion on our first cruise which dropped you off so you had to walk through the port area and we hated it so we didn’t get off the boat in Nassau for many trips. We decided to try it again last November. We now have a DD 2 year old. We walked to the ferry to Paradise Island and that area of the port was very sketchy and dirt. Once we got over to paradise island we had day passes for Atlantis and that area was nice. We decided to take a taxi back and our driver passed out and wrecked into another car. Thankfully going slow enough we weren’t hurt but we were over by the beach you are talking about so had to walk a few blocks back. I felt very uncomfortable. It was very dirty and crowded with a lot of locals in your face.
Yea, I would second that....

I will never get off at Nassau again. Worst port ever. Stay on the ship and enjoy the lower crowds!!! You will be glad you did. You will miss NOTHING

What is the black/red pirate ship that is in the port area, we saw it as we were taking pics in front of the wish. Is this an excursion?
We walked around the shops close to port, felt safe. It did seem like we were watched like a hawk when looking at items in certain stores.

I've done Nassau twice. First time we did the Ardastra Gardens, the second time we did the Chocolate Factory. For both of those, you would be tied to your group's return bus (unless you took a taxi on your own, or walked back from the Graycliff Chocolate).

After the Chocolate Factory tour the last time, my oldest son and I decided to walk from the ship to the Queen's Staircase (and also he wanted to get his passport stamped). I definitely did not feel in danger for the walk to the staircase. I will admit that I noticed a much stronger police presence patrolling the area near the port than I was expecting. I had no one approach me or get "in my face". (Granted, I also didn't pass the Straw Market.) We stopped and I bought some postcards from a group of stalls near the cruise terminal; again, I had no one approach me or make me feel uncomfortable.

When we drove past the public area of Junkanoo beach on our way to Ardastra Gardens, it looked fairly seedy and I would NOT have been comfortable there at night. It probably was safe enough in the middle of the day, but still not someplace I'd view as a good spot to take a 4 year old.

We have walked to Junkanoo and back several times while in port in Nassau, The first time we pushed a stroller and never felt unsafe in any way. Its very basic, but you can rent a chair and umbrella, and buy a drink at a nearby establishment. There were some activities also if I remember right

Has anybody attempted a private excursion in Nassau? Is it possible when visiting with DCL? I don't need to get off the ship but my MIL has not visited the Bahamas before. My experience with Disney excursions (on 4 cruises) has been that they involve a lot of standing and waiting around.

I always like to share our Nassau experience bc we had a fantastic day.

We walked from port to Junkanoo. Our girls were 4 & 2 and we had an umbrella stroller for the 2 year old. It took us about 20 min to get there and the way was populated with both locals and. tourists and we felt totally safe.

We had heard mixed reviews of the beach, but we found it to be amazing. The sand was clean (some reviews I read said it was dirty). The water also was clean, though there were waves. We rented a few chairs and got delicious jerk chicken for lunch. There were a few stands at the top of the beach selling their wares but they never approached us.

We had so much fun! We had planned to stay only an hour or 2, just to get off ship but wound up staying most of the day.

This was a few years ago so things may have drastically changed, but it was a great day for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter