First-Timers - We're Masked Up & Ready (December 17, 2020 - January 2, 2021)

hhawkins

Earning My Ears
Trip: Sunday, Dec. 27, 2020 - Saturday, Jan 2, 2021
Travel Party: Mom & Dad, 3 Kiddos (Age 9-15)

It has been a while since being on the board. Actually, never really spent anytime on the Universal side of the boards before. In our family, we are big WDW fans, but it has been 4 years since we saw the mouse last. Life has just taken us other directions. This year we discovered we had lots of points though our time share that were going to expire, and when a condo came open at Holiday Inn Club Orange Lake Resort, we snapped it up. So I guess you might call this an unplanned, surprise trip to Orlando.

At first we thought we were going to just hang at the resort, maybe play in the pools, do some "outlier" type of things, as we really had not planned for the expense. Just it is the middle of winter, and the pool might not really even be a good option. Besides, that is just not us. How could we spend a week in Orlando and not go to a park! So I started looking at ticket prices. STICKER SHOCK -- 4 days at our favorite place, WDW was going to set our family back close to $2,800 -- WOW!. So I did what I never considered before, I started looking at Universal. I found that the same tickets would be about $1,600. Even though we did not have much saved up, that is closer to something we can handle.

Though I have to admit, we have still not purchased any tickets yet. We are watching the news and Covid updates. I am scared that some rules will change and we will not be able to go. I would hate to have tickets, and not be able to use them. Our Sam's Club also has tickets, even a bit cheaper, put I am going to wait until the last minute to put out the cash.

Another concern we have is the crowds. I know they are working on reduced capacity, but from what I am reading, that us still al lot of people. We are not kidding ourselves, we will be there over the Christmas/New Years Break -- the busiest time of the entire year. Every crowd colander had the parks at a VERY BUSY 10/10 level. What if we buy tickets, but can't even get into the parks due to capacity. I would love to hear from folks who have traveled with experience. If we get to the park by park opening, will we be lift outside holding tickets?

Even after being away for 4-years, I feel like I could roll up on WDW and be fine, understanding what to do. However, I never even imagined going to Universal and Islands, so I feel so lost. So the planning goes on.

I hope to have time to blog my planning and adventures here. I'd love to hear from you guys with experience at Universal during our travel window, though I know this year will be different. This "newbie" is a wreck at planning for this . . . and planning it 1/2 the fun right? Until next time . . .

:welcome:

to the Darkside!

I have not gone to UO during the time period you listed but have read quite a few trip reports for late December- early January.

Earliest date I have gone is January 5 and parks are not crowded.

I’m sure many will share their thoughts with you and give advice how to plan around park crowds for your dates.

Nice start hhawkins......

You are certainly going at a busy time, but I`m sure you`ll still have fun.

Check out the stickies on the Universal boards for more info as you haven`t gone before. There is a lot of info that`ll be of use to you in them.

Usually I`d say don`t plan anything, but being offsite with no EP, it might be an idea....check out the website as it has the park maps with all the layouts of restaurants and bathrooms, all usual info. It`ll give you an idea of where everything is to begin with.

Looking forward to reading about your trip.......

So the ticket saga continues. In my effort to find the most affordable tickets I am not sure I am any further along. I have found several ticket sources, just not sure which I should select. All seem to offer the same tickets. They are: Buy 2 Day (Park-to-Park), Get 3-d FREE. Every source has the same tickets, and here are the prices I have found:

Universal Site: Just under $1,700
Groupon: Just under $1,700
Undercover Tourist: Just under $1,500
Sam's Club Travel: Just under $1,400

So it seams like a no brainer right? Go with Sam's Club. However, there is a catch. They do have an expiration date, and it can take up to 24-Hours for them to be available for printing. We do not leave until Dec. 27, an a lot could happen between now and that date. If I buy them now, and find out we have been exposed, or Florida changes their travel policy for out-of-state guests, then we may not ever get to go. So if we go this route, I would need to wait until Christmas Day to order the tickets. Well that is making me VERY nervous. This seams like the perfect time to buy trip insurance, but that would add an expense I am trying to avoid, and refuse to do it for this trip.

So the safest bet to me is just to get them on the Universal Site, which we could do the day of. However, that is $200+ more than the tickets from Sam's club.

Wow! Covid, why do you have to make things so complicated? At least is not WDW in a normal year where I would also be trying to schedule PR for the trip. Anyone have advise or other "real" sources for tickets at an affordable rate?

If you buy your tickets directly through Universal, they will work with you if you can’t enter the park due to closure based on attendance.

Be at the park early and you won’t be faced for being turned away if the parks close due to capacity.

Hope you had an awesome trip! Looking forward to details :-)

ETA we were first timers back in September and already planning our next trip next month! My kids are the same-ish ages as yours (12, 14, 16) and really loved Universal!

Sunday (December 27, 2020) - TRAVEL DAY

Sorry the pictures are on there side, I do not know how to turn them. This is my family and travel party.

Well the day finally arrived for my family to head to Orlando. Keep in mind, we have been to Florida several times, but always to WDW and we have mostly flown. However, this was not a trip that we planned and saved for. It was pretty last minute, and if we had flown there, a park would have been out of the equation. If you are not going to a theme park, then why go to Orlando. So we got started VERY early.

My wife and I spent Saturday packing bags and also the van for the drive down. Admiditally, packing was also interesting. We would be in Florida in the middle of winter, but were not sure if we still might be able to wear shorts? What about swimsuits? So we packed everything we even thought we might need.

We hoped that the kiddos would sleep for a good bit of the trip so my wife stayed up with them later, while I went to bed about 7:30. The plan was for me to drive the first half of the 15-hours or so, and I am good with just a few hours of sleep. I tend to be a morning person anyway. So the alarm went off at 2:00 am. I was up and in the shower. The rest of the crew just put on clothes, grabbed a pillow and blanket and stumbled to the van. They were all sound asleep before I got off our block. I put in my headphones and started listening to an audio book, I think it was Camino Island by John Grisham and we were off. From Arkansas, Google Maps said we could make it in 13 hours, but I knew that would not happen. We did make it to somewhere in Alabama before we needed to stop for gas and breakfast.

We followed Google Maps the entire way. I am always amazed at how it knows exactly how the road conditions are. Originally it was taking us to Atlanta, but somewhere in Alabama it decided the better route was south through Tallahassee. It did not matter to me, but I was seeing the drive time extended with every detour. The drive was pretty uneventful, but it was long. Lots of accidents to slow down the drive.

Though we hoped to be in our condo by 7:30 pm, it was about 9:00 pm when we rolled into registration at Holiday Inn Club Orange Beach Resort. Registration was not a fast process, as a matter of fact with the COVID restrictions, we had to stay in our car until they texted us. Registration ended up taking a bit. Finally we were unloading in our two-bedroom unit about 9:45 pm. We were starving & exhausted and ready for sleep.

My son is fixated on the YouTube celebrity, “Mr. Beast.” I guess he has opened several pop-up burger restaurants across the country. So he and my daughter just had to order delivery from “Mr. Beast Burger.” While my wife unpacked, my middle son and I ran to Publix for milk and essentials for the week and grabbed a pizza. Back at the condo, everyone had a late dinner and off to bed for an early start.

Swimming at the Orange Lake Resort
ABOUT THE CONDO
: We had a two-Bedroom unit in the North Village of Orange Lake Resort. This is a part of the Holiday Inn Club resort family. Actually I think this is their flagship resort. It is HUGE! There are 1000’s of units scattered across four separate, but connected resorts. Our unit was on the ground floor and included two nice bedrooms. The master had a king bed, an on-suite bath with a huge shower and soaker tub. The boys shared BR #2 and each had a queen bed to themselves, and had their own full bathroom as well in the hall.. There was also a large kitchen/dining/living room. My daughter slept on the pull-out bed in the living room, so there was plenty of room for everyone. There was even a big screened porch that overlooked the golf course. The unit kitchen was stocked and there was also a washer and a dryer. The resort itself could have been a vacation destination with a dozen pools, lazy river, water slides, mini-golf and watersports just to mention a few. Honestly we just used one of the zero-entry pools one night, so I am not really the one to ask about the other resort amenities. Each day it took us about 25-minutes to get to Universal. We went past Disney Springs and WDW on the way, so I would say it was pretty convenient and easy. There were lots of restaurants and things to do surrounding the resort. If it means anything, we loved the resort and would gladly stay there again.

Check back & follow along, I will post about our first day in the parks soon . . . .

Monday (December 28, 2020) - Universal Studio Day1

This would be the very first time anyone in my family had been to Universal Studios. We are a WDW family. I am comfortable there, I know how to tour, how to avoid as many lines as possible, where to eat and generally what to expect. Though I had done my research, I felt like a green horn going in, and it showed. I normally subscribe to the “Lines” app, but opted to follow something FREE online. Oops, but I’ll get to that in a bit.

So our adventure started early. We got up quickly and got on the road. We just followed Google Maps to the parking garage. We opted for the standard parking and paid our $26. Our van ended up on Spiderman 5 and we followed the crowds. They took our temperature at the entrance to City Walk, just before security. We had no problems. We just stayed in the herd and made our way though City Walk, admiring what we might want to look closer at later. For now we were on a mission. As we veered to the right we could see the Universal Globe, so we knew where to go.

We had purchased tickets from Sam’s Club. They had a promotion called Buy 2 Days Get 3 Days Free (Park To Park), so we had enough tickets to get into the parks for 5-days. The total for our tickets was right at $1,500. That was for 4 Adults, and 1 Child Ticket. We had loaded them into the Universal App and had no problems getting into the park. We had printed them out, but never needed the printouts. They were directing people to the lines to get into the park and and told about social distancing markers. By the time we were fully inside the park, it was 7:50 am. We left the condo at 7:10, drove, parked and we were inside getting in our first ride queue at 7:50. I did not think that was too bad.

Now, this is where things start to break down. To save money, we did not purchase Express Pass. I also knew that resort guests got to start riding rides at 7:00 am, so I knew we would be behind the curve. We also realized that we were traveling at the absolute busiest time of the year -- but we were not prepared, and I had NOT done enough research.

I looked at several free touring plans online, but I chose the wrong one. The one I chose said to get in line at Minions first, then head to the back of the park. We looked at each other and got in line for Minions. The sign already said 60 minutes, and the park is not even officially open yet.

Keep in mind that we have been to Disney enough to know how to navigate and avoid lines. As a general rule, 45-minutes is our max. Our kids just can’t handle more than that. Here we are in our first line, and already planning to wait an hour. We debated MANY times if we should get out of line, but as we looked at the Universal App, all the lines were already 80, 90, 120 minutes. Some rides were at capacity at 8:30 am. My mind was blown. My oldest is pitching a fit that he can’t stand in line this long. Things are not looking good, and going downhill fast.

True to its word, in 60-minutes were finally getting on our first ride -- Minions. We had a blast and I think it was perfect for a first ride. It exposed us to the type of experiences we could expect at Universal. The theming inside the building was sooooo fun and the ride experience was unlike anything we experienced at WDW. We had a lot of fun.

However, now off the ride, what do we do now. I could already tell the touring plan we had as a joke. We heard that both parks had already reached capacity and every ride is bursting with people. My wife opened the app to discover that there was a virtual que for Jimmy Fallon, so she snatched it and headed that way. As we sat in the que/lounge we had a chance to kind of calm down. As a family we had a little “Come To Jesus” talk and changed our expectations. By this point we knew that we were going to just need to pack our patience with the park, the people, and especially each other. This debrief really seemed to help. Then we got on Jimmy Fallow and again loved it. Had heard some people complain that it was not their favorite, but we really had fun. However, I am already noticing a trend -- SCREENS!

550351From here we headed to Men In Black which touted only a 40-minute wait. I think that was pretty accurate, maybe even a little less. What a fun ride. Reminded me of Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. I did of course have the high score in the family. This would be one of our family favorites. I think it is because the ride vehicle actually moved. The theming in the building was so much fun, and because the lines were so long we got to enjoy it.

It is midday, but the weather is so amazing. It is sunny, but not hot -- Perfect weather all week. As we are getting hungry we decided to do a mobile order for The Leaky Cauldron which was nearby in Diagon Alley. This would be our first food experience, and it did not go as we thought. I thought that it means that you order, then skip the line to go get your food. That is not the case.

550352So we make our way to Diagon Alley, find our way inside and -- WOW! This place is soooo amazing. You really feel as if you have stepped into a different world. It does not feel the same, except for the crowds. We spotted The Leaky Cauldron, and were quickly pointed to the line which wrapped all the way through Knockturn Alley, all the way back to the bathrooms. So we decided to take turns standing in line and letting the others go exploring. So while still in line everyone was able to explore all the shops. I must admit that I was more impressed by the meaning of the world, more than inside the shops. I am not sure what I expected, but inside just felt like any themed merchandise store. My family is not big on souvenirs, and our kids really do not even ask for them. So it was fun to look, but I had more fun outside window shopping.

550353Finally we made our way into the restaurant and were seated. They had obviously removed a lot of tables, so we felt comfortable with the social distancing. The theming was so fun. Once seated they told us to go ahead and indicate that we were there on the app and place the order. Very quickly our drinks arrived, which included the famous Butter Beer. I got one of the mugs to take home. The jury was out on the taste. I really liked it. It just tasted like cream soda to me. The kids were not crazy about the foam on top. It was something to try, but I was okay saying I had done it. It was good to have a bit to sit and rest. We all ordered the fish and chips, except my wife who ordered a special chicken sandwich. We all loved it!

After lunch we headed out to get in yet another line. We found ourselves in line for the Fast & the Furious. This line touted a wait of 180-minutes. We groaned, but got in line. I have to say, this was the worst line of all. A good portion at the beginning was outside between buildings, and in the sun. about halfway through the line stopped moving and they announced a problem. They did not know when it would come back up. At this point we were in the garden area outside the garage, and had already been in line for over an hour. We stayed, and finally the line got moving again. In the end, I don’t think we waited more than 180-minutes, but at that point who cares. I admit that this was a cool ride, and it was intense. More than I expected. By this time I found myself looking at the ride mechanisms, and trying to figure out how they worked. This huge vehicle was on some type of platform, and it is cool how realistic it feels.

550367As we were getting off the ride, the app said that Escape From Gringotts was only a 40 minute wait, so that was our next trip. This ride queue is misleading. There was a line outside the queue, but then you get up there and think you are going inside, only to find you are being pointed to the back of the building where there must be a mile or more of queue that moves slowly. As we twisted and turned we did not think we would ever make it. Then the line stopped for a good 10-minutes. We just knew the ride was down and we are about to be told to leave. Then, all the sudden it started moving again and from that point it did not stop until we were inside the bank. We were blown away by the theme and the goblin. It was so cool. It is every bit as amazing as the world where it exists in Universal Studios. The ride itself is a cross between a roller coaster and screen based. I did not expect the drop in the middle of it, and I am not talking about a normal roller coaster drop. In this ride, you literally fall. I was a little concerned for my 9-year old daughter as I was kind of scared myself. However, in the end she loved it and asked if we could go get ice cream in the ice cream shop -- so we did. I admit, she gets pretty much what she wants.

As we enjoyed ice cream, my wife found a virtual pass for The Mummy. She and the boys took off for that, but Ella did not want to go on it. So the two of us just wandered around for a little while and ended up setting outside Ben & Jerrys at a table to watch people. It took awhile for them to ride, and when they got off we decided it was time for dinner. Louie’s Italian Restaurant was close by, and everyone loves pizza, so we headed over. I had pasta and the rest of the family shared a pizza. My alfredo with chicken was okay, but the pizza looked better. I did not have any. Though it was great to take a break and rest, we all agreed, this was not worth eating again.

After dinner something really cool happened, the crowds started to leave. The night got cooler and the crowds got lighter. We started to see the wait times get shorter and shorter. The Simpsons ride was a 30-minute wait, but once we were in line, it was constantly moving. Again, neat ride to nowhere. Another screen projected experience.

By now it is nearly 9:00 and we are tired, but the crowds are so light we decided to stick around. We went to ride ET, which again the line never stopped until we were inside the building. I have to admit that this ride took me back to my childhood, when ET was one of the few movies my mom took me to see more than once in the theater. It was so nostalgic. Setting on the bike with Elliot and ET was so special. I was a little freaked out by some of the odd characters they made up for ET’s home planet, but it was still fun. However, I knew this was a ride we would have to do again before we left for the week.

Leaving ET, we decided to get in like for Transformer. Another where the sign said 30-minutes, but the line did not stop until we were on the ride. We hurriedly passed several interesting props in the que, but sadly the line moved too fast to stop and see them. Again, cool screen based ride.

Once off Transformers it was 9:55. We hoped to have enough time to run to Shrek 3-D. I knew that if we got into the line, they would let us ride. We made it just in time. We thought Shrek was a lot of fun. Reminded is all of It’s Tough to Be A Bus at Animal Kingdom. We loved it, but let's be honest, this experience could use an update.

Wow, what a day. Park open to park close. I have to say, even on one of the busiest days of the year, we managed to ride every ride we wanted to ride. My kids call me the vacation Nazi. I'm not sure that is a complement, but I think it means I run them to death. We had a great time, but had to drag ourselves back to the car to head back to the condo.

My Ride Rating (**** Possible)
2* - Minions
2* - Jimmy Fallon
3* - Men In Black
3* - Fast & Furious
4* - Escape From Gringotts
2* - The Simpson Ride
3* - The Mummy (According to my kids)
4* - ET
3* - Terminator
1* - Shrek

My Restaurant Rating (**** Possible)
3* - Leaky Cauldron
1* - Louie's Italian
2* - Diagon Alley Ice Cream Shop

We decided to sleep in a little bit tomorrow, so check back soon to see how that turned out for us. . .

Last edited:
We’re planning to go this time next year. Your report makes me feel like express passes will be worth it for my family. The longest wait we had at WDW was Pirates for an hour at midday, and my kids were driving me crazy by the end of it. ETA: how did your kids do with masks doing rope drop to close?

We’re planning to go this time next year. Your report makes me feel like express passes will be worth it for my family. The longest wait we had at WDW was Pirates for an hour at midday, and my kids were driving me crazy by the end of it. ETA: how did your kids do with masks doing rope drop to close?

If the EP is in the budget, it would save us HOUR in line. Eventually our kids realized the line were unavoidable, and though the never really stopped the complaining, it was less and they were better about it. If we had EP, we would have been able to EVERYTHING in two day, that would have included both parks.

Tuesday (December 29, 2020) - City Walk

Let me start by saying that this day didn't go as planned. The two previous days had been LONG days, and so we decided that we would sleep in a little bit on Tuesday. When I say sleep in, I mean that we would get up at 8:30 am to start our day. So, for many that might not seem like sleeping in, but it was for us. Our intent for today was to make our way to Islands of Adventure with our patients, and just do as much as we could.

Well, that did not happen. We ended up heading to the park about 9:30 and arrived at the parking garage about 10 to a sign informing us that the parks were at capacity. The parking lot toll booth attendant said they reached capacity before 9:00 am, and they did not anticipate them opening back up to day guests. This did seem a little unfair, as we had tickets, but would not be able to use them. We decided to take our chances and headed to City Walk. We had already talked about seeing Wonder Woman, and noticed on the parking stub that with the purchase of two matinee movie tickets we could receive a refund for our parking. So this sounded like a no-brainer. We headed right to the ticket office at the AMC Theatre and purchased five tickets for our family. To our surprise, on Tuesday all matinee tickets are $5. So with our refund for parking, the movie was FREE essentially. Please note that you have to have your ticket stub stamped at the movie theatre, then take it to guest services for the refund. We bought some popcorn and headed in for a 11:00 am movie, which was almost a private viewing. There was only one other party in our theatre. They have the comfy reclining chairs. We enjoyed the movie, though I do agree with some of the poor reviews. Happy we did it.

After the movie, we checked and the parks were still closed to capacity. We had $100 gift cards for any Landry's location, so we decided to have a late lunch at Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. I have to say, I am not a huge fan. Honestly I think there is better shrimp at Red Lobster, certainly more choice anyway. I had a fried Po'boy Sandwich, which was just okay. I honestly do not even remember what the resort of my family had, but it was not worth returning for. Service was okay, but it was very loud. There was a family from another country seated next to us. They put all the adults in one booth, and packed about six small kids in a booth behind them. Lets just say, their culture must be very different. Those kids ran all over the place, jumped on the seats, and the only person who asked them to sit down was the waiter and my wife. I was ready to go.

After lunch I waited in line for our parking refund at guest services in City Walk while the rest of the family explored a bit. As I mentioned earlier, we are not much on shopping, so that did not take long. We continued to walk around the lake and visited with an employee outside IOA. She said she did not think the parks would allow in more guests today, but we should keep checking the app.

We made a stop in the candy shop at the chocolate restaurant. I am glad we had a late lunch, as were stuffed, we were not too tempted. We did still pick up a 6-pack of macaroons and a couple other small items. As we continued to make our way around the lake, we sat outside of the Sports Zone (unsure of the name) restaurant and enjoyed our treats. We stayed a while and just relaxed and people watched. We debated on buying some Voodoo Donuts, but honestly we are a plane glazed type of family, so we passed on that. On the way out the kids wanted Auntie Anne's Pretzels, so we shared a couple of those, and headed for the car.

Heading out about 5:00 pm, we were on our way back to the condo with a plan to go to bed super early and get a VERY early start on Wednesday so there would be no chance of not getting into the park. We must have stopped for fast food on the way home, because I just do not remember what we had. I made a run to Taco Bell one night, so that may have been what we had for dinner. Regardless everyone was in bed by 9:00 pm with our eyes set on an early morning.

Check back to see if we made it into Island of Adventure on Wednesday . . .

I’m really enjoying your report. I also think it sounds like you guys made the very best of a super busy time.

Wednesday (December 30, 2020) - Islands of Adventure: Day 1
I know some of you will choke when you read this, but I set my alarm for 5:00 am today. There was no way we were going to be shut out of the parks again. The wife and I got up and showered quickly, but everyone was up and we were in the van by 6:05 am. I must have had the wind at my back because we were parked, cleared security and waiting outside of Islands of Adventure at 6:35 am. We were not the only ones with an early start on our mind, but we would still be among the first 1,000 people in the park. They did open the gates and let us inside the park about 6:50. Keep in mind, we are not resort guests, so we could not actually get on any rides until closer to 8:00 am.

Being our first time in this park we did not know what to expect. So we followed the herd. I knew the Harry Potter “stuff” was to the right. So our plan was to go left to Spider Man first. We were stopped by security just before the bridge as you enter the Marvel superhero part of the park, with the Hulk looming overhead. Resort guests were allowed past, but not us. So the wife grabbed some breakfast for us at the Starbucks, and we hung out for an hour. Things seemed pretty cordial until about 7:40 when the congestion started to build up. The line we thought we were in became a highly congested herd. We were told that they would open the gates and the crowd would be free to go. There was NO social distancing here, and no attempt at it.

Then at 7:45 they released the crowd and the stampede started moving. The wife grabbed our daughter and I held on to my middle son and we took off trying to avoid being trampled. Lucky all five of us arrived at Spiderman at the same time and made our way through the line. We must have still been near the front of the crowd because we really never stopped for more than a moment in the line. In no time we were being loaded into the ride vehicle and were off to help save the city. What a fun ride. As the theme goes, not sure how much movement there was as opposed to turning for a new screen, but it felt intense, and the entire family loved it. It was the IOA version of UO’s Transformers. We would have loved to ride it again, but when we got off the line already at capacity.

You may remember mention of a touring plan from Monday’s report. We did not even look at it today. Too many people and every line was full, so we just decided to wing it and make the best of it. This meant that after Spiderman we head on around the park. It was still early and we were not ready to get wet, so we bypassed the wet rides and arrived at King Kong. The line said 40-minutes so we got in line. We loved the que for the ride and thought the trucks looked really cool. It was obvious that the driver was not real, and it drove on wheels, not a track. Not sure how they did that, but we lo551716ved it. Parts of the line were a little dark and scary, especially the shaman. I could tell my daughter was questioning things at this point, but we passed by quickly and she was a real trooper. Once we loaded the ride vehicle, my heart was pounding and I did not know what to expect. I knew we were on a truck, and I remember the Fast and Furious from Monday, but I was not prepared. This ride was so thrilling and with screens surrounding you on both sides of the truck, you could not convince me it was not real. When the truck was swinging around on jungle vines, I was scared to death. Then there was the biggest animatronic I had even seen, and man was Kong cool. This may have been my favorite ride of the week. Too bad the lines prevented a re-ride.

It is still before 10 am and we have done two huge rides, so we are off to our next adventure, which happened at the Jurassic Park boat ride. I was not especially fond of getting wet, but we could not pass up this adventure. To me honest, if it had not been for the videos in the line, this would have been a horrible 45-minute wait. Nevertheless, we drug out the ponchos as we neared the front of the line. I would say that this was a fun ride, but not as adventurous as the ride soundtrack built it up to be. I do not know what I was expecting, maybe Dinosaur from Animal Kingdom, but it was not that scary. It was more of a cross between Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain. However, this movie is such an iconic part of my teen years, I was excited to “ride into the movie.”

It was about 10:45, and my daughter wanted to ride the Pteranodon Flyers, but it was down. So we decided to get an early lunch. We chose well by going to Thunder Falls Terrace. It was delicious. It was inside, and of course we ordered on the app, and the food was very quickly delivered to the table. Most of us ordered the chicken and ribs combo with the shake. I would not call it a shake, but the ice cream was yummy. We all ate it first so it would not melt. The ribs were tender and pulled right off the bone. The chicken was so juicy. The potatoes on the side were so amazing, and the corn was tasty. This is the type of place I would eat at any day. Not what I expected at a theme park.

After lunch we decided to split up. Ella and mom got in line for the Pteranodon Flyers and the boys wanted to ride The Hulk. By the way, my wife said that the Pteranodon Flyers was the scariest ride of the week for her. I thought that was funny considering it was classified as a “kids” ride and you could not even get inline without a small child. As the boys and I headed off to the Hulk, the line said 30-minutes. By the time we got our stuff in the lockers, they had to open an extended que line. I could no longer see the wait time sign and my phone was in the locker so I have no idea how long we waited. Our line actually started in the cue for Storm Force Accelatron, which was closed. But the Hulk que included this rids que. Then we finally made it to the actual que for the Hulk. All this for a ride that I had no intention of riding. I just went through the line with the boys to keep them from killing each other and getting us kicked out. They loved it, so I guess it was fun.

Next we were off to Dr. Doom’s Fearfall. I waited outside and had a drink in the shade while the boys rode. Again, they said it was fun, but it was not for me. So you will have to take their word for it. It is has too big of a drop, it is not for me.

Now early afternoon we take a break and share a couple snacks. By this time we had also purchased one of the refill cups. I wish we had bought it on the first day. We have already had a half dozen free refills, so worth it. We decided to meet back up with mom and Ella, and ride Bilge-Rat Barges. I opted for the poncho and snuck off my shoes at the very last second. Smart move on my part because it is a SOAKING ride. The line moved quickly, but once on the ride the water just kept soaking. It was fun, but man do you get wet. The family wanted to go to Ripsaw Fall next, so I held the stuff and enjoyed a free Icee refill and bought a churro, which was yummy.

By this point we were running out of steam fast and had pretty much decided to walk through the Hogwarts area. We were not planning to ride the rides as the lines were too long. We were on our way to check out Seussville then head home for the day. We thought we would come back another day to finish the park.

Once at Seuss Landing we hopped on the Trolley Train Ride and as we were getting off, I managed to snag a Virtual Que for Hagrid's Magical Motorbike Adventure. The pass was for 8:30 pm, so we settled in. I think we picked up a snack at the Green Eggs and Ham Café and rested a little while. I will say we did finish Seuss Landing rides and loved them all. I loved the Trolley the most, but the Cat in the Hat dark ride was a blast, the carousel was what you would expect. My son even managed to soak me on the One Fish, Two Fish ride.

551717Now that we are going to be at the park for a while we headed back to Hogwarts to just look around. As it turned out the wait for Forbidden Journey was only 30 minutes, so we were excited. I was again very nervous. My only experience with this ride technology was at the Epcot experience where you design your own roller coaster, I think it's called Sum of All Thrills. I wish the line would have moved slower, as this line que is sooooo amazing. Soon enough, we are buckled in and off on our adventure. This is one of the scariest rides I have ever been on. Not because of the animatronics, but because I am scared of heights. That is what this ride feels like -- you are constantly falling. It was amazing, and I am happy to say I rode it, but once was enough for me. My 9-year old, who had never in her life wanted to ride roller coasters, is in love. On our last trip to WDW she was scared on 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, so she has really stepped up.551718

As we got off the ride we say that The Flight of The Hippogriff has a short line, so we made a quick ride of it as well. It was a quick and fun rollercoaster.

It was dinner time and we debated Three Broomsticks, but the kids were not really jiving on the menu. We ended up going to a couple different places. My wife and youngest two went to find pizza and Jaron and I stopped in The Lost Continent at Fire Eaters Grill. I had the Gyro and it was pretty good. We all found a table in a very dark corner across from the Fire Eater Grill against the fence and spent time eating and relaxing. We were essentially waiting for our virtual line for Hagrid's. At 8:30 we headed over only to find the ride down and the virtual pass became an express pass for any ride. However, if we use it somewhere else we would lose it for Hagrid's, and it had to be used that day.

So we decided to just wait. We actually got in the line for Hogwarts Express, thinking we would just ride to UO and then back and hopefully it would be back up. While in line, the app said it was working so we exited and got in line. To have a virtual spot, this line was long. It actually snaked back into the outdoor theatre in The Lost Continent. This made us do some research on this closed attraction. I have to be honest, it sounded awesome. I wish it were not closed. The set and stage were still set up and it looked so cool. About an hour later, and we were finally getting on our bikes. Let me just say -- WOW! This ride is fast. I was driving the bike and this is one of the wildest things I have ever rode. Doing it in the dark may have made it even more exciting. It was worth the wait and I was happy that we got the chance to ride it. It was a lot of work to get the pass, but worth the effort.

We got in the Hagrid’s Line about 9:10, we were finally leaving the parking lot about 10:30. We were exhausted from another very, very long day. I happened to glance at my smart watch and I had walked 13.7 miles on this day. Believe me, my feet were complaining. We were already planning to take tomorrow off. It would be New Years Eve, and we figured we would enjoy a day outside the parks. After all, even in the busiest week of the year, we pretty much got on every ride in the park. A little patience and free soda/Icee refills will go a long way.

Tune in soon to find out what we will be doing on New Year’s Eve. . .

Thursday (December 31, 2020) - New Years Eve

This would finally be a much needed day of relaxation. No one was forced to get up before they were ready that day. I am an early riser, so I did get up well before anyone else. I think I was up and showered by about 7:30 am. So I grabbed my Bible and spent some time on the screened in back porch. It overlooked the golf course, and was so peaceful. After another hour or so the rest of the house started to stir. We spent the morning doing laundry and watching tv.

We decided that we would just hang out and go get an early dinner for New Years Eve. For whatever reason, I had it in my mind that The Cheesecake Factory would be a good choice. We do not have one near our home, and my vacation rule is that we don’t eat anything that we have at home. We arrived at the restaurant about 3:00 pm to find it pretty busy, about a 30 minute wait. Considering the wait time at the parks, this was nothing. Services started off pretty good with appetizers, but dinner was slow. When it did come out my steak, which I ordered medium rare, came out well done. So I sent it back. My waiter assured me it would only take a couple minutes. This is really where things took a turn for the worst. After about 20 minutes, and eating off everyone else's plate, I finally told my waiter that I did not want it. However, in another 5 minutes or so it came out. I refused it, and I assumed the matter was settled. However, this really put a damper on the meal.

We decided to order dessert to go, and enjoy it later that evening after a swim. We asked for the ticket, and I discovered that they actually charged me for two steaks. I was floored! When I asked the waiter, he acted as if it was perfectly normal. He said that I had ordered two steaks. I was confused, the first was prepared wrong, but when I asked for it to be corrected, their policy was that it was a new order. My assumption was that I would not be charged for either, much less two. I asked for a manager, and one arrived promptly. As I explained, she said that she could remove the re-fire steak that was not prepared properly, but I would be responsible for the second one. Keep in mind, the waiter said they would rush it, but it took almost a half hour, and my family had already finished eating before I finally told them I did not want it anymore. She was very snippy with me. I am not sure how to respond, but I told her that I would not pay for it. I was not refusing to pay for the food that arrived correctly or promptly, but I would not pay for the steak that I never even got to eat. Needless to say, she was visibly angry. I guess in a tourist city, customer service is not so important, as there are not many return guests. However, I was appalled by how this situation was handled. I did nothing wrong. I just ordered my food, any mistakes were theirs.

A different waiter brought our new ticket. We were not upset with our waiter, and it did not impact his tip, but it seemed weird that he would not return to our table. We left and did a little shopping on the way back to the condo. On a positive note, the cheesecake was yummy, I had the Snickers.

553931When we got back to the resort, the kids wanted to go swimming. It was early evening, and the temperature was in the mid 70’s, but they would not be dissuaded. I was not willing to get in, but I took them to the pool nearest our unit. It was a huge zero-entry pool with a slide and water feature. I wish it was warner, I would have loved to relax in the water. I stuck my foot in, but that was enough for me -- brrrr. They swam for a couple hours. Finally, shriveled and cold, we went back for a snack and off to bed.

We did not make it until midnight. Friday would be our last day at the parks and we knew it would be another early start. So we celebrated New Year with another country about 10 pm, then off to bed.

Tune in next time to find out how our last park day would go . . .

What a dreadful experience at the Cheesecake Factory!

I‘ve honestly never heard of having to pay for a steak that wasn’t up to scratch or had been cancelled due to arriving late. Very bad customer service.

Glad you enjoyed some cheesecake later and yes, bit too cold for swimming! Sounds like a relaxing evening.

I have had mess-up's with an order before, but never been treated that way before. Hope it is a 1st and only experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter