First-Timers - We're Masked Up & Ready (December 17, 2020 - January 2, 2021)

Friday (January 1, 2021) - Last Park Day

Our week in Florida has almost come to an end. Today will be our very last day in the parks, and honestly would turn out to be our very best day in my opinion. We did another super early start, because we certainly did not want to get locked out. We hoped that many would have had a late night waiting up for New Year, and I think we were right. This would actually be our earliest arrival. We were inside Universal Studio by 6:40, and they did not stop us at the turnstiles, they were letting people in. Of course only resort guests get past a certain point.

We decided to head to the right and were stopped just before the lake area. Our plan for the morning was just to ride what we wanted and maybe hit a couple shows. I will say, I regret that we never made it to any of the shows. As soon as the rope dropped, we were headed straight to The Mummy because my daughter and I did not get to ride it on Monday. We had no problems with the line line, which never really stopped moving. I thought this was a pretty fun roller coaster. I especially loved that it was an actual roller coaster and not screen based.

Since it was close and there was not a huge line, we thought Transformers would be a good next stop, but on the way my middle son discovered that his phone was missing. My wife, oldest son and daughter went on to Transformers, while Clay and I went back to The Mummy. We hoped that it may have been found, but that was not the case. We went on to the lost-found at the front of the park and filled out a claim. Alas, it was not ever found. We have no idea where it ended up.

554236With a slight damper on the mood, we went on to meet up with the rest of the family. They were getting in line for The Simpsons. This was not for me, as it made me sick the first time I rode. So my son joined them, and my oldest decided to wait with me in Springfield. He and I got in line for a Lard Lad Donut. We had seen them on Monday and added it to our list. The line took forever, and the guy at the window was very rude. He kept coming out of the building to yell at people for not staying far enough away from the window. I did not see that people were breaking the rules, but he must have. We finally ordered two of the Big Pinks and a couple chocolate milks. We found a shaded seat by the Comic Book Store (actually a bathroom) and we split one of them. The rest of the family joined us and devoured the other donut. We loved it. However, we would discover later in the evening that they are also sold at the Kwicky Mart, which would have saved a lot of time in line that morning.
My wife is a sucker for carnival games -- I HATE THEM. But she just had to stop in Springfield to play. Actually my youngest son, who is 12, played the hammer game where you try to test your strength. He pounded it. Got all the way to 90 and won the HUGE Homer. My oldest son tried, but was not as successful. He claimed the operator turned up the tension. I don’t know, but it was funny. What I did not find funny was this huge Homer doll we are now stuck carrying around. This thing was over waist high on me, and would not fit in ANY locker, not even the pay lockers. Just FYI, this means that you have to carry it though the lines and leave it at the rides with the attendant. They must do this all the time, but it annoyed me because I was stuck with it for much of the day.554238

The park is still not as crowded as it had been earlier in the week. I do not know if it ever reached capacity that day, but it never felt AS crowded. Don’t get me wrong, it was crazy, just not as bad at it was the previous Monday.

Now at the back of the park we got in line for Men In Black, which again was just a walk on. Another fun family ride, and one that I would happily ride anytime. I didn't even shoot, I just rode and took in the ride.
We decided it was now time to do the only ride in the park we had not done yet, that was a must ride for us, The Hogwarts Express over to Islands of Adventure. We did stick our head into Diagon Alley one more time, but then it was off to King’s Cross Station for a 45-minute line. This was fun, especially the crossover though the secret passage way at Platform 9 ¾. We thought the train ride was amazing, and so relaxing and cool. I only with it would have lasted a little longer. Just as we were departing, I managed to snag another virtual queue for Hagrid's Magical Coaster for 1:30.
By this time, it is about time for lunch. My wife had spotted the Wimpy Burger on Monday and thought it sounded like fun. So that is where we headed. Not much choice here, but the burger and fries were tasty. It was a big burger. One note, my daughter decided to try the “meatless” burger. It was not yummy. As a matter of fact, it was gross. We ended up just splitting my burger, and we were still full.

The family headed to the Bilge-Rat Barges, but I wanted to stay dry so I stayed at the table with Homer. I did get to catch them on the ride from my seat beside the bridge. I was not quick enough to snap a picture though.

We started heading back to Hogsmeade for our ride on Hagrid’s, and discovered that Forbidden Journey was only a 30-minute wait, so we got in line and then rode the Flight of the Hippogriff when we got off, with almost no line. Riding it in the day was different, less scary than at night. We then headed over to Hagrid's, but discovered the line was every bit as long as it was the first time we rode, maybe even a little longer. We got in line, but decided we just did not want to invest the 90-180 minutes it would take. So, I know this will be unpopular, but we got out of the line and gave up our spot. We would have liked to ride in the daylight, but I do not regret our decision. This was not a day of long lines, and the kiddos were so much happier.

At this point we decided to split up. The boys had talked their mom into riding The Hulk, off they went. Ella and I headed back to Seuss Landing. We had so much fun together, just the two of us. I love daddy-daughter time. It is so special, and she is growing so fast. We did all the rides together starting on the Sky Seuss Trolley, the Caro-Seuss-el, The Cat & The Hat, which we had so much fun chatting to each other though. Then we ended up with her trying to soak me on One Fish, Two Fish.
The family caught up to us and relaxed at a table nearby and just vegged and people watched for about 45 minutes. The kids took turns filling up the FREE refills of Icee until they all had one. It was good to just relax. By this time it’s probably about 5’ish and we decided to have dinner. My oldest really wanted to go to the Three Broomsticks, and with no objections we got in the short line. We decided to order the family feast which included a salad, roasted chicken, ribs, corn, and potatoes -- I think. It was all so yummy. It came to feed a family of four, but since there were five of us, we added one more on. Honestly we did not need to, there was way more food that we could ever eat. The kids also ordered the Hot Butterbeer. They thought it was better than the cold, I liked them both. The one thing that bothers me is that they did not offer any drinks. No soda to be found in the land, and the waitress never even offered us water or anything. This was a bit annoying. Fat and bloated as ticks, we headed to Hogsmeade Station to board the Hogwarts Express back to Universal Studios. The ride back was just as fun. We loved how the show was different both ways.554242

Now back in Universal Studios one last time we decided to ride Men In Black again. We really loved this crazy ride. Honestly I think it is because it actually goes somewhere. There was NO line at all, and they were only running one side. They had cars on the other track topped at various places along the way in the places the audio tells you to shoot at the other vehicle. It was sorta strange for it to be that empty. But it was also fun to have it all to ourselves.

After leaving Men in Black we refilled our cup one last time in the Coke building and added our names for a possible printing on a bottle. That was fun and we have never actually found a bottle with any of our names before.

554243Next we wandered toward Springfield and spent a little while playing more games. By the time we finished, all the kids had won some kind of prize. There was no waiting on the Alien Spinning/Dumbo type ride, I am really not sure of its actual name. This was also when we found the Big Pink donuts at the Krusty Mart. They had both Pink and Chocolate. We bought both and we all agreed, pink was the best.

Glancing at my watch, I realized that it was after 9:00 pm. I had only one real priority -- ride ET again. We strolled over in the dark, and I mean DARK. I wonder why that part of the park is not lit better. There was not much of a line. We only stopped because they let a few Express Pass families in front of us. I really wish we could have slowed down in the line. It is so peaceful in the forest, with the insect sounds and clicks that place you right in the middle of the movie. This time I rode on the front row right behind ET. I didn't even notice him the first time. My favorite part of the ride is where you fly up over the city in the “Peter Pan” type scene. I wish you spent more time there. I still find the area where you are on ET’s planet a bit odd. The different creatures just do not seem to all fit together. I still love it. This ride and MIB will be the two rides I would miss if I never made it back to Universal.

I was disappointed with one thing. I had found a hoodie in the gift shop on Monday that I really liked, but it was $60 and I was just not ready to pay that much. However, by this point I really had not spent much on extras and had decided I would buy it. Alas, they were completely out of my size. Lesson learned, if you see it and want it, buy it -- don’t wait. I can't find it online either.

554245We thought there was one more kiddie coaster back behind ET. So even in the dark we wound our way back until we found Woody Woodpeckers Nuthouse Coaster. I would say, this is a tight fit, but a fun and very short coaster. This would end up being our very last ride of the trip. Maybe we should have hopped in line for ET at the last minute, but we decided to shop around in the SpongeBob store, then head out.

As we walked out of the park, we got a few pictures of the globe. Then we wound our way though City Walk and to the parking garage. Actually, the Woody Coaster wasn’t our last ride. Each night when leaving we ride the moving walkway back to the car. As silly as they are, my family thinks they are fun. I guess we are pretty easy to please.

Our park days are finished, so you will have to check back soon for one last instalment with my final thoughts and our trip home. . .

Saturday (January 2, 2021) - Final Thought & The Drive Home

Booooo, we are leaving Orlando today. It is sooo hard to pull away. We tried to wash most of our dirty clothes and pack up last night. We love having a washer/dryer on vacation. Some people hate doing laundry on vacation. We do not mind. It means we can pack less and bring home clean clothes. Though the family was still pretty sleepy, we piled in the car and headed out. After a quick stop for gas and breakfast, we were on the road. The GPS says 12.5 hours to home, but how wrong that was. With five people, stops are more frequent than I would like. GPS also took us home through Atlanta. It ended up being more like 15-hours to get home. There is nothing too eventful about the trip except for one stop. My family is amazed by the Buckee Super Truck Stops. If you are not familiar, they are huge. It is more like a Wal-Mart than a gas station. They boast 100 gas pumps. We never pass one without a stop. This trip was no exception. However this one was packed. We order lunch and it took forever. I just got the pulled pork, but my son wanted taco -- that was the hold up. I also love their blueberry scones. Outside of that, uneventful, just a LONG trip.

I do want to leave you with a few closing thoughts on UO and IOA. Keep in mind that we are a WDW family. That is not to say that we go to WDW every year, but we have been several times. We were the family that said we would never go to Universal. WDW is so expensive, to add the additional cost of a couple days at Universal was always out of the question. However, this trip was not planned. My wife and I are both school teachers. We have had normal classes all year, even in Covid. As we have been fortunate not to lose our salary at all, the incentive check that we received was what allowed us to make the trip. Since we are school teachers, this was the only week we could go. We knew it would be crazy, but decided to give it a try. Universal tickets were more than $1,000 less expensive than WDW.

Final Thoughts:
(1) RIDES -- UO and IOA makes use of so many screens. So many of the rides are dependent on the screen. Some of them you will be in a ride vehicle that will move and turn, but most of the action is just our vehicle turning to a new screen. In some of the attractions, you're in a seat that really never goes anywhere. Do not get me wrong, we had fun. However, given the choice, I want a ride that goes somewhere. That is probably why my family was so drawn to MIB, The Mummy and ET.

(2) FOOD -- I would start by saying, buy a refill mug on your first day. Here is a little cheat you might consider. If you drive to Orlando, stop at a couple Goodwill Stores on the way down. You may find the refill mug for just a couple bucks. That will save on the initial $18 purchase price. You can wash it at your hotel, then only pay the daily refill fee. Then you get drinks all day at no additional cost.

We did enjoy the food in the parks and the snacks we tried. I would recommend that you choose at least one place to go in to sit down to enjoy a meal. We loved the BBQ chicken in the Jurassic Park area and also in 3 Broomsticks. Also, if you are wanting a specific snack, see if it is offered in more than one location.

(3) COVID PRECAUTIONS -- I know that I have not really talked much about this, but I was impressed with the precautions they were taking. Every line in the park had the 6-Foot Markers. From my observation, most people were observing. There were a few time that we asked the people in line behind us to get some distance, but for the most part we felt safe. There was a lot of room between table service restaurants. Employees were constantly asking people to pull their mask over their nose. We were there for a week, surrounded by 100’s of 1,000’s of people, and two weeks later we were not sick. So I would have no COVID concerns in the park. Just use your common sense.

(4) OVERALL IMPRESSIONS -- Would I go back? Maybe. We had a great time, but it is not WDW. Maybe I would not make the comparison, but I can’t help it. I just like that when you are at WDW you are fully immersed in the land you are in. Universal does have great immersion in the lines, but not as much as the lands at WDW. The exception would be the Harry Potter Areas, they are amazing. When you step in it's like you are in another world, but I still prefer Disney. I like rides that go somewhere. I really prefer “dark ride” type rides, and WDW just does them better. If I had free tickets, I would happily go back. But I do not think I would be too anxious to fork over the money. I’ll save a little longer and head to Disney World. If this tells you anything, when we got home my middle son said, “Dad, I had a good time, but I think I like I would rather just go to Silver Dollar City.” Now for those of you not in the Midwest, Silver Dollar City is a turn of the century themed park in Branson, Missouri. To his defense, it is not your average amusement park. It is amazing theming and huge rides that my family has traveled too for years and we love it.

We had a great time, and I have enjoyed reliving my trip here. I hope you have enjoyed my ramblings. I’ll see you again soon, but it will probably be over on the WDW Boards!

Thanks so much for your write-up. It's helpful to get another first-timer's opinion. I'm worried about the screen-heaviness of UO rides for my youngest, who is more prone to motion sickness, but I'm hoping that if we pace them out with things like the ET ride he will be OK. I think we will spend most of our time in the two HP lands unless they become too crowded to bear. They will both want to get wands and do all the spells.

We just booked our first Universal trip today so I decided to hop over to the boards for the first time in a while. I started with your report since you were a first timer traveling during covid. What a fun read and I appreciate that you were honest about what went well and what didn’t. (And now I know not to try to win a giant Homer; I wonder how folks who fly down get their Homers home.)

Thanks so much for your write-up. It's helpful to get another first-timer's opinion. I'm worried about the screen-heaviness of UO rides for my youngest, who is more prone to motion sickness, but I'm hoping that if we pace them out with things like the ET ride he will be OK. I think we will spend most of our time in the two HP lands unless they become too crowded to bear. They will both want to get wands and do all the spells.

The screens were a struggle for me. Very disorienting -- ESPECIALLY the Simpsons Ride. I had to close my eyes 10 seconds in. We did have a blast though, and I am sure you will also.

We just booked our first Universal trip today so I decided to hop over to the boards for the first time in a while. I started with your report since you were a first timer traveling during covid. What a fun read and I appreciate that you were honest about what went well and what didn’t. (And now I know not to try to win a giant Homer; I wonder how folks who fly down get their Homers home.)

I try to be honest in my evaluation. We had a lot of fun, but it was not all pixie dust and rose petals. People should know. If you are not going at such a busy time, you are sure to have an even better experience than we did. It was fun. The Homer thing was a pain to carry around, but my son loves it, and he loves to brag about how he beat his older brother.

As far as Covid, I feel that you can be as safe as you want to. The park has put as many precautions in place as they can. They remind you about your mask and social distancing. Ultimately, it it up to you.

Happy you enjoyed the trip report.

I try to be honest in my evaluation. We had a lot of fun, but it was not all pixie dust and rose petals. People should know. If you are not going at such a busy time, you are sure to have an even better experience than we did. It was fun. The Homer thing was a pain to carry around, but my son loves it, and he loves to brag about how he beat his older brother.

As far as Covid, I feel that you can be as safe as you want to. The park has put as many precautions in place as they can. They remind you about your mask and social distancing. Ultimately, it it up to you.

Happy you enjoyed the trip report.

I feel like I always have a better trip if I have realistic expectations -- so definitely helpful to read comprehensive reviews. Our trip is scheduled for late August, so I am not really worried about catching covid as I expect numbers to keep going down; but I was worried about whether covid precautions might negatively impact the trip. It sounds like the overall impact on your trip was minimal, which is encouraging.

I feel like I always have a better trip if I have realistic expectations -- so definitely helpful to read comprehensive reviews. Our trip is scheduled for late August, so I am not really worried about catching covid as I expect numbers to keep going down; but I was worried about whether covid precautions might negatively impact the trip. It sounds like the overall impact on your trip was minimal, which is encouraging.
I agree with that statement -- minimal. If anything, you family will get to stay together for every attraction and you do not have to worry about setting by someone you may not be comfortable with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter