First trip: DLH with 4 park days OR GCH with 3 park days?

Leelo

Never grow up. It's a trap!
This will be our first trip to Disneyland in July. We want to stay at either Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian. For the same price, we can stay at Disneyland Hotel and have 4 days in the parks OR we can stay at the Grand Californian and have 3 days in the parks.
Which is the better choice?

I love the GCH, but I'd go with the DLH if that means you get an extra park day. We usually stay at GCH when we can, but stayed at DLH over the Thanksgiving holiday. While the rooms are starting to show a bit of wear, the Disney charm factor is definitely there. We had a standard room in the Adventure tower, and had great views of the fireworks every night. We utilized the monorail when we were going to and from the parks from time to time and that saved our feet quite a bit. I also loved the roaming characters in the lobby!

I love the GCH, but I'd go with the DLH if that means you get an extra park day. We usually stay at GCH when we can, but stayed at DLH over the Thanksgiving holiday. While the rooms are starting to show a bit of wear, the Disney charm factor is definitely there. We had a standard room in the Adventure tower, and had great views of the fireworks every night. We utilized the monorail when we were going to and from the parks from time to time and that saved our feet quite a bit. I also loved the roaming characters in the lobby!

Totally agree, if it means an extra day at the parks I would absolutely pick DLH over GCH.

I forgot to mention that we are 2 adults, no kids. I don't know if that makes a difference in your recommendations but wanted to throw that out there.

I have to ask - considering the answers are all very heavily one sided - is there a reason you felt staying at the Grand vs. the DLH would be worth giving up a day in the parks?

I have to ask - considering the answers are all very heavily one sided - is there a reason you felt staying at the Grand vs. the DLH would be worth giving up a day in the parks?

If 3 days is enough time to see what we want and GCH is a far superior experience to DLH, then it might be worth giving up a day. Funny enough, I asked this question in a Disneyland facebook group at the same time and 6 out of 8 so far have said GCH/3 days. It surprises me that the responses in each venue are so different. :confused3

If 3 days is enough time to see what we want and GCH is a far superior experience to DLH, then it might be worth giving up a day. Funny enough, I asked this question in a Disneyland facebook group at the same time and 6 out of 8 so far have said GCH/3 days. It surprises me that the responses in each venue are so different. :confused3
I think they are both beautiful hotels each has its own feel and magic to it. DLH is more Disney at least to me. While GCH is more California wilderness rustic beautiful but not disneyish. So it depends on what each person is looking for. Depending on when your going and if using MP 3 days is enough but i would probably still do 3 days and stay at DLH. It all depends on the exact trip we are taking and what we want out of it.

Given that a 4 day Park Hopper with MP included is only $40 more than a 3 day per person, that doesn't make the difference that great - what you could do is stay at the Grand and if you feel you really want that 4th day, then you could upgrade your ticket. However I am not sure if you are comparing the cost to stay 3 nights at the Grand vs 4 nights at the DLH as well or if your hotel stay would be the same number of nights regardless.

However I am not sure if you are comparing the cost to stay 3 nights at the Grand vs 4 nights at the DLH as well or if your hotel stay would be the same number of nights regardless.
Yes I am comparing 4 nights at DHL + 4 day hopper ticket VS GCH + 3 day hopper ticket as being about the same total price

No question at all. Choose DLH and the extra Park day. DLH & GCH are BOTH lovely hotels. It’s your family’s first visit and you are coming soon after Star Wars Land opens. I think you’ll really need that extra day.

Both hotels are great, just different. But July, right after SWGE opens in June? Forget about which hotel, take the extra park day! There is no way to know right now how SWGE will affect the already peak crowds that are expected in DLR this summer. MP will help a lot, but if the SWGE effect is even close to what is predicted, that extra day will be needed to get things done at DL without undue stress.

If it is your first trip, I feel 3 days will be tight. But then, I like taking in the sights, enjoying the little things. Yes, if you go commando, you could get everything done in 3 days. But to do it, you won't be spending any time in the hotel, so why spend the money there! Go for 4, you will still be pushing it, but it will give you more time to see things.

Are you the type of adults that spend more time in the hotel (swimming, dining, relaxing) or in the park? The Grand Californian is a great hotel for adults as it has very nice restaurants, beautiful decor, etc. If you don't have kids and spend time in the hotel, I say go for GCH. However, for me, park time would win out. There are plenty of hotels that you can stay in that are just as nice (though maybe not as convenient). The Disneyland Hotel is one of my favorites and I love the Tiki Bar there. And it is nice to take the monorail back at night when you are wiped out from the day.

Given the choice, irregardless of park days, I would recommend DLH, especially for a first trip. The DLH does a great job of grabbing the nostalgia and feel of "Walt's park" and the monorail pool is probably the best on property...not to mention Trader Sam's. The GCH is a beautiful, strongly-themed resort, sister to WDW's Wilderness Lodge, that ties into the wilderness side of DCA. It does have the best proximity of any of the three Disney hotels, with certain rooms having the best park views. IMHO, there is no wrong choice between the two hotels, I wouldn't pass on the DLH, especially if you get an extra park day in.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter