First Trip without Disney

mkb3

DIS Veteran
Before this trip I had only been to Universal Studios Twice. Once in 1994 as a teenager and once in 2018 for one day doing both parks and both times were a part of a Disney trip. This time around I stayed on Property at Adventura and did a day at Universal Studios a day at Islands of Adventure and a day at Volcano Bay.

Adventura while a nice hotel was my least favorite of all the Universal Hotels (I visited them all). If I had to do it over again I would literally choose anyone of the others including Endless Summer. Adventura just felt like an abandoned warehouse. No people and very little activity. If you want peace and quiet though this might be your spot. I really liked Cabana Bay and Portofino.

IOA and Universal Studios were a lot of fun and Hagrids and Velocicoaster are amazing rides, but not gonna lie I really missed having dark boat rides.

Volcano Bay was the highlight of my trip. I'm in my 40's and overweight, but I was able to ride everything including the Body Plunge in the Volcano. A 14 year old kid was nervous about doing it, but he jokingly said "I can't let an old man out do me" haha. It's been a long time since I've felt young and alive like I did at Volcano Bay. I would hands down fly from TX just for this park. If you are apprehensive about being older and larger at water park, don't be because it's ton of fun!!

I don't see myself doing a Universal Trip only in the future, but no doubt I will be back.

Thank you for your thoughts....

I agree, Aventura leaves us cold, almost feels like a hospital or an Apple store in the lobby.

Glad you enjoyed VB and the rides too. Hope you get another visit soon.....

Before this trip I had only been to Universal Studios Twice. Once in 1994 as a teenager and once in 2018 for one day doing both parks and both times were a part of a Disney trip. This time around I stayed on Property at Adventura and did a day at Universal Studios a day at Islands of Adventure and a day at Volcano Bay.

Adventura while a nice hotel was my least favorite of all the Universal Hotels (I visited them all). If I had to do it over again I would literally choose anyone of the others including Endless Summer. Adventura just felt like an abandoned warehouse. No people and very little activity. If you want peace and quiet though this might be your spot. I really liked Cabana Bay and Portofino.

IOA and Universal Studios were a lot of fun and Hagrids and Velocicoaster are amazing rides, but not gonna lie I really missed having dark boat rides.

Volcano Bay was the highlight of my trip. I'm in my 40's and overweight, but I was able to ride everything including the Body Plunge in the Volcano. A 14 year old kid was nervous about doing it, but he jokingly said "I can't let an old man out do me" haha. It's been a long time since I've felt young and alive like I did at Volcano Bay. I would hands down fly from TX just for this park. If you are apprehensive about being older and larger at water park, don't be because it's ton of fun!!

I don't see myself doing a Universal Trip only in the future, but no doubt I will be back.
Volcano Bay was a highlight for us as well! If you go with family or friends we highly recommend the cabana.
Also if you return, I highly recommend Big Fire and Antojitos for dinner at City Walk. Both worth it!

Volcano Bay was a highlight for us as well! If you go with family or friends we highly recommend the cabana.
Also if you return, I highly recommend Big Fire and Antojitos for dinner at City Walk. Both worth it!

I had pre dinner drinks at Big Fire and then ate at Antojitos. I loved Big Fire had EVERY whiskey I've ever wanted to try at a reasonable price. I enjoyed two nice pours and then went to Antojitos for Birria Tacos! Next time I'll get dinner at Big Fire.

I had pre dinner drinks at Big Fire and then ate at Antojitos. I loved Big Fire had EVERY whiskey I've ever wanted to try at a reasonable price. I enjoyed two nice pours and then went to Antojitos for Birria Tacos! Next time I'll get dinner at Big Fire.
While I’m not a whiskey person, I did have a rum drink at Antojitos that was perfect. I had the flautas at Antojitos as it was late and they were filling enough (considering they’re an appetizer).
Highly recommend the mussels appetizer at Big Fire. And the bread.
I had the chicken but tried each of my parents steaks (one had a filet and the other a ribeye) and everything was excellent!

Yeah while I was at the Bar the couple next to me had the Mussels and they looked amazing.
So good! And im not a fan of mussels like I have to really be in the mood for them. But once the amazing smell of the wine sauce hitting the char steamed mussels hit my nostrils I had to try!

We just got back Saturday from our very first trip to US and I LOVED it. The kids went on nearly every ride (couldn't get them on Hulk or Velocicoaster, though), loved all the Harry Potter stuff and having the express pass was sooo much better then what Disney has. We did 4 days at US/IOA, 1 day at Seaworld and the Disney Merriest After Party; this was our first trip that we didn't do just Disney. We stayed at Royal Pacific, which was nice but the room seemed sooo much smaller then we're used to (we stay YC/BC). My kids and husband said they liked it but still like Disney, I'd honestly be happy to do this same vacation with just a Disney after hours again (but I'm outvoted so seems like we'll be back to YC/BC next year). I am really happy we finally did US and that we waited until the kids were older (they just turned 10), our last Disney trip before Covid my daughter just started going on the rollercoasters and my son wouldn't even try them, this trip they were willing to try nearly everything!

I really enjoyed our meals as well: BigFire, Cowfish (OMG their blood orange margarita was soooo good), Chocolate Emporeum, Finnegans and one of the places at Portifino resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter