Flying Fish still the very best dinner in the World!

DLFendel

Earning My Ears
It has been a fave of ours for a long time, but it had been a long time since we were down and a new chef and decor and well, we had to go find out if our glowing rec's to others were still valid. WOW WERE THEY!

First, the new decor is simpler, less kiddy/carousel-ish, but still has the flying fish and is more elegant and somehow more relaxed and relaxing. Secondly, the menu and service were all that one would want and more--ask for Joshua to be your server for a VERY friendly and well-informed evening.

Now the food..Just Plain WONDERFUL:

We began with the Kurobota pork belly appetizer, and yes pork belly has become a cliche all over including WDW, but this version, in a cherry gastrique with cubed gala apples? ASTOUNDINGLY perfect. Sweet, smokey, and full o' piggy wonderment. My darling who, alas, is allergic to pig, enjoyed the excellent dungeness crab croquettes, which might sound boring but wow--a two-day process to ensure the thinnest, crispiest crust around crab that TASTES like it just crawled out of the surf--superb, with a lemon-thyme coulis and microgreens. All this with the wonderful house bread that has tiny bits of nori in it for a breath of the sea salty accent.

Main events? She had the famous (and justly so) char-crusted NY strip steak (coated with spices, sugar, and thrown onto a 650degree oak grill that sucks in the smokey goodness AND instantly glazes and seals and chars the outside--awesome! With fingerlings, haricot vert, and sauce foyot (which is bernaise to which has been added amazingly reduced glace de viande! Yeah, beefy creamy wonderment, folks!) AND because of a scallop hankering, she added the "enhancement" of some of their Hokkaido scallops, grilled lightly and tender inside (which are also available as a full entree portion, too!)

Me? Had to try the brand NEW entree on the menu--a seafood rissoto with those scallops, shrimps, and calamari in a rich creamy spiced arborio that was just on the knife-edge of TOO rich but NOT over it--a rare balance indeed with all the seafood tender and perfectly cooked.

Dessert? My darlin' went for the superb assortment of cheeses (also possible as an appetizer) with goodies to accent them including some amazing honeycomb. Me? Had to go with the famous "Cocoa Breach"--imagine a wonderful chilly hazelnut cream filled crispy on the outside little muffin-ish pastry with, on top, a disc of chocolate that they then pour HOT fudge ganache into and through as it dissolves--similar to the caramel sauce thing done over at M. Paul at France but BETTER. The temperature, texture, and flavor contrasts made it a wonderful bit of variety-filled sweetness in every bite beginning to end.

Oh of COURSE we had great wines, and of COURSE a cocktail beforehand in the Abracadabar....but y'know, the food alone and the expert service and comforts made it the perfect amazing antidote to a hot, sweaty day of F&W Fest meandering around EPCOT and capped our flying visit to WDW with comfy elegance and flavors for happily ever after.

So please, I know there are a lot of contenders for "Best" at WDW, and I know most folks have to pick ONE high-end high-priced night to celebrate amidst their budget-conscious vacations at the World....trust me and choose this. We will continue to do so every visit we make!

we've never eaten at FF before -- so pardon my questions. Are there kids (she'll be almost 12) or is it primarily for kid-free adult dining? were there casual dressers - i.e., cargo shorts/t-shirts (not grungy/sweaty/sloppy but not "dressed up" either)? is the seafood risotto a pre-cooked meal (i love seafood but dont eat calamari)?

we've never eaten at FF before -- so pardon my questions. Are there kids (she'll be almost 12) or is it primarily for kid-free adult dining? were there casual dressers - i.e., cargo shorts/t-shirts (not grungy/sweaty/sloppy but not "dressed up" either)? is the seafood risotto a pre-cooked meal (i love seafood but dont eat calamari)?

First, there were MANY families with kids there, which really delighted and surprised me, and they DO have kid choices on the menu. Second, the risotto is not pre-cooked nor is anything--it is all to order and I'm certain they could do it without the calamari for you. I saved the dressing question for last--first because we were pretty sweated-through from our direct-from-the-90degree90%humidity day at EPCOT (though we stopped at the restroom first to splash off a little) and we were fine in a sports shirt and pants--nothing fancy....and SECOND because I must share a wonderful story about this from my past at EPCOT:

MANY years ago I was dining at EPCOT on my own at Chefs de France and chatting with the couple next to me--I was from California, they from New York and they were, in those mid-late 80's days when not as many California wines made the trip to the East, asking me what to look for. I KNEW I recognized the man but couldn't figure out from where until, after maybe 40 minutes of friendly table chat, we all intro'd ourselves and it hit me as he did so. He was John T. Molloy, the famous and successful author of the "Dress For Success" series of business books of that era if you remember them.

At that point I was a bit embarrassed sitting there at a fancy French place in my teeshirt and jeans and said so in apology, to which this EXPERT said, and I quote, "Dan, anyone who dresses up to go to Disney World is an ***!" ROTFL!

SO...while, yes, you do see folks in coats and ties at Flying Fish and the other high-end resort restaurants, I THINK they are mostly conventioneers or other business folks. Us just-plain-folks can be neatly casual and feel right at home. GO!

Flying Fish is absolutely incredible. Your daughter will be just fine. I would venture to say that there really isn't "kid-free" dining at Disney execpt for Victoria and Albert. We didn't dress up. We went straight from there to Hollywood Studios. It was mid July and HOT. I wasn't going to dinner in a dress or any fancy clothes. Neither was my husband. We both wore shorts and a nice shirt. I'm sure you will see people there more dressed up than you, but I wouldn't worry about it.

When we went they had the Lobster with Nero pasta (they have since replace the lobster with scallops). It was probably one of the BEST dishes I have ever had. Seriously lick the plate clean. We also had the pork belly appetizer. OH MY GOSH! I still talk about it. We shared it. Had I known it was going to be that good I would have made him get his own.

I hope you consider it. It is one of the best on property.

MANY years ago I was dining at EPCOT on my own at Chefs de France and chatting with the couple next to me--I was from California, they from New York and they were, in those mid-late 80's days when not as many California wines made the trip to the East, asking me what to look for. I KNEW I recognized the man but couldn't figure out from where until, after maybe 40 minutes of friendly table chat, we all intro'd ourselves and it hit me as he did so. He was John T. Molloy, the famous and successful author of the "Dress For Success" series of business books of that era if you remember them.

At that point I was a bit embarrassed sitting there at a fancy French place in my teeshirt and jeans and said so in apology, to which this EXPERT said, and I quote, "Dan, anyone who dresses up to go to Disney World is an ***!" ROTFL!

That is GREAT! And, in my opinion, absolutely correct. I have never seen the need to bring extra clothes and store them so I can change. Or to go back to my room to change. Especially when we will be going to a park after dinner. But to each their own. I would never begrudge anyone who wants to. I can tell you, it will never be me.

thank you! we have an ADR for it on our pool day so we wont be all sweaty from the park :) main concern was we didnt want the kid to feel out of place as she's become very observant of her surroundings and in OPs original post they stated "elegant" and I worried she would be that far and few between kid that would stick out like a sore thumb which in turn would've made her uncomfortable throughout the meal. Looking forward to dining here. Another first for us will be HBD at DHS the night prior, then we're back to our usual dining choices :)

Would you say it's worth it for a non-seafood eater? I have heard good things about the NY strip, but am wondering if it would make sense to go to a seafood restaurant for a steak, versus Yachtsman etc. Then again, I had an awesome filet at Narcoossee's, which is also more of a seafood theme...

Thank you for the review! We were to eat here for the first time a few weeks ago and ended up cancelling. Next trip!

Would you say it's worth it for a non-seafood eater? I have heard good things about the NY strip, but am wondering if it would make sense to go to a seafood restaurant for a steak, versus Yachtsman etc. Then again, I had an awesome filet at Narcoossee's, which is also more of a seafood theme...

Personally, I've been UNDERwhelmed by the Yachtsman. Lots of self-impressed oh-aren't-you-lucky-to-dine-with-US service but the steaks, while good, not so spectacular as to write home about. This one is, and they have a smaller fillet, too. Give it a try and see!

You just persuaded me to make a reservation for our November trip. I'm not a huge seafood person but do enjoy salmon and shrimp. And I've heard great things about the pork belly.

Flying Fish is great and may be the best restaurant in Disney World - but not the world. I live in New Orleans where there are so many superb restaurants. I can eat at Galatoire's or Commander's Palace for far less money.

thank you! we have an ADR for it on our pool day so we wont be all sweaty from the park :) main concern was we didnt want the kid to feel out of place as she's become very observant of her surroundings and in OPs original post they stated "elegant" and I worried she would be that far and few between kid that would stick out like a sore thumb which in turn would've made her uncomfortable throughout the meal. Looking forward to dining here. Another first for us will be HBD at DHS the night prior, then we're back to our usual dining choices :)

DS10 and I just ate at both FF and HBD on our trip in August and we loved them both. We had eaten at FF right after the refurb and had a less than stellar experience, but we gave it a second try and I'm glad we did! The food is excellent and the service was impeccable. FF was definitely the best meal of our trip.

I don't eat any seafood and I really enjoyed my meal there in May. I had the Green Circle Chicken and I think a salad appetizer. The chicken was very good - probably the best of the trip. I don't eat red meat so it's pretty much chicken wherever I go :rotfl:

The only thing that put a real damper on the whole night was our AWFUL server. He was so bad that I don't think my husband will ever go back. I plan on taking my parents though who are also non seafood eaters

We have eaten there many times. You will see people in all forms of dress from formal, to business casual. Not being in the parks, you don't see as many shorts and t-shirts.
Early in the evening, there are many kids there. Its Disney, you expect that. We usually go later and there are not as many kids. When our kids were younger, they loved going there.
It is one of the best Seafood restaurants at WDW.
Enjoy!

Usually don't order steak at WDW since it is such a boring choice but had the strip steak in May (prepared again as it was when Chef Big Tim was there) and it was excellent as was the pork belly appetizer. Hadn't been there since the Chef change but some of the old favorites have returned. And the drink menu is the best of any signature. Highly recommended.

DW eats filet at FF while I have something from the seafood options. She says the steak is just as good as the one from Yachtsman Steakhouse. She does the same at Narcoossee’s when we dine there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter