flying into Tampa...need a hotel for one night

lornak

DIS Veteran
We are arriving in Tampa late in the evening and would like to stay overnight there before heading to WDW. Can anyone reccommend a near-by hotel that is relatively inexpensive and decent? (I've read some posts here about some scary Tampa hotels...dirty rooms, right next to a strip joint, etc...). I'd like to avoid those if possible!! Any suggestions? Thanks...

Not sure if you want to do it this way BUT... :) if you want to, you could give Priceline a try.
We are spending the first night of our upcoming trip in Tampa at the Hyatt Regency Westshore, which is close to TPA.
Our rate through priceline....$56. bid for this 4* hotel in Tampas airport zone....so the grand total for that nite $68. or so including tax and fee. Not too bad when you see the non discounted room rate is $305. a nite. I did see special rates of as low as $169. a nite though.
If you are not familiar with priceline, a good site to get a bit of education is biddingfortravel.com. :D

quikbook.com has some nice hotels listed for Tampa area.

Herc.

I can tell you where NOT to stay! Do not stay at Days Inn or Hampton Inn, as they are located near the strip joints and DAYS is dirty.

Holly

Just came back from Tampa on Thursday, 4/18. Stayed at the Wyndham Westshore for $99/night. It was fine for the price and is very convenient to TPA. Just follow the airport exit and signs for Kennedy Boulevard (stay to the left). Once you come to the first set of traffic lights, the Wyndham is about a block or two away on the right in "The Urban Centre" complex. The drive is about 10 minutes from TPA. Getting back to TPA was very easy as well. I went from the hotel, to the rental car drop, to the Delta check-in (used their new kiosk), through security, and was at the gate in about 20 minutes from the time I checked out of the hotel!

I've also stayed at the Hampton Inn on Waters Ave. which is north of the airport and not near a strip club. It is newer and was fine for $89 night. This is not the Hampton Ted and Holly mentioned.

Avoid the Holiday Inn Express on Dale Mabry. A co-worker stayed there and heard gunshots and had someone try to break into his room.

The Hyatt is very nice as well, but it IS ACROSS the street ( 4 lanes with a Jersey barrier) from a strip club! They must not have zoning in Tampa! If you stay there, you should try "Oystercatchers" for dinner. Great seafood, good service and a spectacular view of the bay - right on the water.

Have a great trip!

The Days Inn that we stayed at, next to the Hampton Inn was at Rocky Point. The Days Inn was pretty dirty and shabby. I do remember a couple strip places within walking distance. There was a pretty good restaurant (Bahama Breeze) pretty close but that was really packed at night with people at the bar.

Ted

Just stayed this past January. It was very nice and the area was not that bad. I walked to a nearby restaraunt for dinner.

lornak,
I was just checking out other hotels near tampa airport (in case I need one on our last day)and I used the Southwest Air website. (go to iflyswa.com and click on hotels, fill in area desired and dates) There are some excellent rates at hotels near TPA.....don't go by the rates on the first list, for example Embassy Suites Tampa listed price is $279., but if you select it and go to the next screen, rates of $99. show up. Anyway, good luck, I'm off to tampa in a couple of hours! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter