Food Allergies at WDW

BriNJ said:
-Chef Mickeys- AWFUL. The chef was angry because CRO didnt note allergies on our reservation. He treated us horribly and the kids were unable to eat anything for dessert. No substitutes were offered at all and we will NEVER go back there, we felt awful the entire time, like we were too much trouble for them
Bri

That's interesting cause Chef Mickey's was our only disappointing experience. We couldn't get a dessert there that William would eat. The chef was not terribly helpful either. I remember he said something really odd to me about William that was really not necessary. Anyway the rest of us ended up literally walking around the restaurant eating dessert (so William wouldn't see - my other son was intent on trying the sprinkle bar). I ended up giving William some dessert later that we had brought when we got back to the room. I wouldn't suggest those with peanut allergies eat there or at least be prepared that dessert will be off limits. They were the least acommodating of all the places we've been.

The buffet and service at Crystal Palace is far superior IMHO - I love the food there personally. :thumbsup2

My DD8 is severely allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. Thankfully, we have never had a bad experience at WDW. I think that's one reason that I love going there so much! We've always had plenty of good food and special treats that our daughter could eat. Probably the best treatment we've received was at Hollywood and Vine at MGM. The chef walked us down the buffet and prepared a special "safe" dessert for our daughter. We'll definitely go back there in May. :thumbsup2

Selket said:
pampam

We did a few counter service meals (that huge CS place near Adventureland), Pizzafari at the AK and at our hotels (CR and CSR) and didn't have any problems. Supposedly you should ask for the manager when you arrive at the CS place and ask about the food. They are supposed to have a book that tells about allergens. Some places are just SO busy that it is hard to ask anyone before you get up to the counter - impossible really as you'd have to break through the que to get up there which wouldn't be very nice.

We tried to pick places that would likely have something he could eat that was safe - like a hot dog. William is highly allergic to peanut/tree nut, btw. What also might help is to call Brenda Bennett of the MK Foods (her number is on several threads on allergies here) and she can email you a list of places around the parks that serve food that would be a problem. So that way you'll know before you go - like I knew the Dole Whips are fine, Itskadoozies are fine off the carts but Mickey bars are not (for us). etc. She also told us to avoid completely the asian inspired restaurant near Tomorrowland, etc.

The biggest problems seem to be the breads. We didn't have problems with hotdog buns but if the person who has the allergy wants something more sophisticated (like a sandwich wrap, etc.) you will need to do some investigation. In any case just ASK when you get there for CS and likely they will be able to accommodate you.

I would think CS meals are quite doable but perhaps might not be your most memorable dining experience ;) When are you going?

We are going in May. When we were there the last time it was no wheat, sugar or carageenan. Now it has increased to no grain or flour at all, milk or cream, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn (which is a grain) soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, or beans. Even a pinch of these things can cause a problem.

I am allowed meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, all veggies (except potatoes or sweet potatoes) butter, hard aged cheese, other vinegars, and honey. I can get by with bringing some apples, hard cheese, and nuts with me, but I'd rather eat at the restaurants. However, salad with no salad dressing on it get boring. If I go into a mom and pop kind of place, I have no problem. I get plain meat & veggies. It's fast food places I usually have a problem with. I carry a card with me to pass on to the waitress-chef, so that simplifies things a little. If this is a problem in the counter service places, I won't get the meal plan.

Talking Hands said:
We had the opposite experience with Boma. My daughter has peanut allergies as well as being a vegetarian. She was oveo-lacto at the time. The chef walked the line with her and showed her what she could eat. He then decided that it was insufficient and made her a seven layer vegetarain plate and a separate dessert.
I am diabetic and allergic to nutrasweet. The same chef told me to not even bother with the bufet except the salads that he showed me were safe. He made me a 3 course meal (soup, entree and dessert) sugar free made with Splenda. He even thanked me for giving them advanced notice as it gave him time to learn how to work with Splenda as they had had many requests for it to be used instead of Nutrasweet but always at the last minute. The chef both times was TJ. It probably depends on the chef.

We love TJ. My mom has celiac sprue, which means no wheat or gluten. Very hard to achieve! He makes her something amazing every year and personally brings it to the table. She gets accosted by other guests demanding to know where she go the amazing food! We always have a PS/ADR which states the allergy she has and we have had utterly perfect experiences at all WDW restaurants on this issue -- not ONE mistake (and she knows imediately and painfully when she has ingested even a trace of gluten). I do think the key is making the ADR and letting them prepare for you.

pampam said:
We are going in May. When we were there the last time it was no wheat, sugar or carageenan. Now it has increased to no grain or flour at all, milk or cream, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn (which is a grain) soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, or beans. Even a pinch of these things can cause a problem.

I am allowed meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, all veggies (except potatoes or sweet potatoes) butter, hard aged cheese, other vinegars, and honey. I can get by with bringing some apples, hard cheese, and nuts with me, but I'd rather eat at the restaurants. However, salad with no salad dressing on it get boring. If I go into a mom and pop kind of place, I have no problem. I get plain meat & veggies. It's fast food places I usually have a problem with. I carry a card with me to pass on to the waitress-chef, so that simplifies things a little. If this is a problem in the counter service places, I won't get the meal plan.

Pampam

I think with that extensive list of allergies it would certainly help to call Brenda Bennett of Magic Kingdom Foods at 407-824-5967. If she isn't there leave her a message with your concerns (especially I think listing the things you need to avoid). William's allergy is severe although I think it is probably easier for the manager at the CS place to tell us if something is safe or not than it would be for you because the things you are allergic to are more extensive (and perhaps not as well labeled? not sure about that!). Hopefully she can give you some direction as to whether there would be enough options at CS places to accommodate you. It might also help, if you haven't already, to look at some of the web pages that list the menus at CS places to see if the food looks like something you'd likely be able to eat.

showar said:
We are planning our first trip to WDW for late September. Our 4 yo dd has severe food allergies to all milk (butter, cheese, whey, etc), egg, peanut, and treenuts. I just sent an email to Brenda as several of the pp suggested. Can anyone give me any names of counter services restaurants at the different parks that we may be able to order meals for her?

We do have the dining option with our package. I know she must order from the children's menu. If necessary I will eat off of the children's menu and let her order her safe foods from the adult menu. Should I have a problem with that?

Sandra
I am very interested in the details of your trip. My DS(2 yo) is also allergic to milk, egg, and peanut. (not tree nut, but we still avoid them)

We are planning a trip for October 2006, and we have also booked the dining plan.

How was counter service?

Any tips?

RxforDisney said:
I am very interested in the details of your trip. My DS(2 yo) is also allergic to milk, egg, and peanut. (not tree nut, but we still avoid them)

We are planning a trip for October 2006, and we have also booked the dining plan.

How was counter service?

Any tips?

Here is my trip report I wrote for the Kids With Food Allergies website. You can find lots more information there. Also, my dd ate chicken nuggets several times which we were told were safe until our last dinner when a chef brought me the ingredients and told me they were unsafe. Thankfully she never reacted to them.

We just spent a week at WDW on a dining plan. We stayed onsite at All Star Movies. We were able to get a free refrigerator since my dd qualified for medical reasons. I did a lot to prepare for this trip but WDW made it easy for us. Brenda Bennet at Brenda.Bennet@disney.com was also a great resource. She sent us a ton of information of safe foods for the 4 different parks.

We were also on a dining plan which meant we got two meals a day, one counter service and one table service. We had 6 table service dinners and they were all awesome in dealing with food allergies. I will list some of the places we ate:

Chef Mickeys - we waited a long time to get seated then waited an additional 30+ minutes to see the chef. He told me there was 20 FA families there that night that he walked through the buffet. From the buffet, Isabella was able to eat the baked chicken the prime rib. The chef brought us some safe veggies & fruit from the back. They also had Rice Dream and Tofutti for dessert. My dd was in heaven!

Princess Storybook Dining at Norway (Epcot) - we did our first character meal with the Princess and my dd was so happy here. Our only problem was with our waiter. He was from Norway and it was his 2nd day on the job! The chef came out immediately. Here Isabella had something from the children's menu, boiled chicken, corn, and boiled potatoes. She had fresh fruit and veggies for an appetizer and Tofutti with strawberry sauce for dessert.

Sunshine Seasons (Epcot) located in the Land. Here the selection was limited but Isabella had some baked chicken, applesauce and safe carrots. I brought along some candy for dessert.

Cinderella's Royal Table (MK - castle) - The chef was very prompt. Isabella had safe pasta with marinara and safe steamed veggies. For her appetizer she had a nice bowl of fruits and veggies and again Tofutti for dessert but also with a some berries (her favorite).

Cosmic Rays (MK, counterservice) - Here Isabella had safe chicken nuggets & fries (dedicated fryer), applesauce, and cotton candy for dessert.

Mama Melrose (MGM) This was our best table service meal and service. The chef was awesome. For appetizer, again it was fresh fruit. Her meal was grilled chicken, asparagus, pasta with delicious marinara sauce. The chef got the marinara from the back to avoid cross contamination. They only had chocolate Tufutti which Isabella does not like. The chef sent someone to another restaurant to get some vanilla Tofutti. Isabella thought he used some magic it was also served with some berries.

Flame Tree Barbeque (AK, counter service) The chef was called and he quickly told us the baked chicken was safe and he got some corn from the back that had not be rolled in butter. She also had applesauce and a frozen lemonade for dessert.

Crystal Palace (MK, table service with Pooh characters) - the chef immediately came to our table and walked me around the buffet. They had less of a selection of foods that Isabella actually liked. She again had baked chicken, fresh fruit and veggies. The chef also said the white rolls and rice were safe from the back. It took him a LONG time to get these to us. He had simply forgotten. He did give us a pass to bump us up in a line for the ride. Here again she had Tofutti for dessert.

1900 Fare (Grand Floridian Hotel, character dinner) - The chef was great here as well. Isabella had the prime rib, safe fruit and veggies, applesauce, and again Tofutti for dessert.

We also ate at the counter service restaurant at our hotel, the All Star Movies. I spoke to the chef the first day who told us the kids meal of chicken nuggets, fries, applesauce was safe but he would be more than happy to make her whatever we wanted including safe Mickey waffles (gluten, egg, and dairy free).

We ate breakfast at our hotel every morning because it was easier for us. I did not schedule breakfast character meals even though I was assured there would be plenty for her to eat. We used wegoshop.com for grocery delivery and I brought along some soynut butter for a couple of lunches (Isabella's favorite). We also ate at McD's once at DTD.

We had a fantastic time and almost completely relied on WDW for our meals. The meal plan allowed each of us to get a dessert with our meal. Since many of the desserts were off limits the staff made exceptions and allowed Isabella to have an Itzakadoozie or fresh fruit for dessert instead. We had no problems with any of the staff giving us problems about checking ingredients. We were so full most of the time that we didn't eat too many snacks. Isabella did have the popcorn, pretzal, frozen strawberry or orange bar, and Itzakadoozi for snacks. I took along some food and snacks but it was really useless.

Now, my complaint. The information that was sent to me stated the chicken nuggets were safe. Isabella had eaten then several times without a reaction. I was told the ingredients were consistent throughout WDW. At 1900 Fare, the Chef told me they were NOT safe because they had been changed about 4 months prior without notification. He handed me the ingredient list which has egg whites and whey in them. My dd did not eat them at this location but again we were told they were consistent in all of WDW. I have emailed Brenda Bennet who told me they were safe, that it must have been the chicken tenders that are not safe. I emailed her the ingredient list and I am waiting for her reply. I may just call and speak to the Chef at our hotel and have him read me the ingredient list. It possible that Isabella ate unsafe nuggets but she did not have a reaction.

My other complaint was from the hostess at Mama Melrose who made a comment about what was left to eat since she couldn't have all those things. I made a snippy remark back. Otherwise we had a fantastic dinner.

I am sorry to make this so long. I know when I was planning our trip I wanted specific names of restaurants to help with my planning. Let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them

HTH!

I wonder why they are so great with children with food allergies but can't do anything for adults with them. I called to try to get information on sugar free treats without nutrasweet or sugar alcohols and was told they don't have that information available. I should just ask the chef. Since on one occasion I was offered a rice crispy treat as a dessert and on another time a cheese cake I knew contained nutrasweet (conveniently lost box with label) I just don't trust them. Being diabetic and unable to have nutrasweet or sugar alcohol I am basically out of luck.

when we were travelling we had a diabetic adult, a peanut/tree nut allergic kid and a nut allergic adult and all were treated the same and accommodated equally and quite well! :)

showar, thanks for the report. :)

My DD has milk and egg allergies too. Since she is breast feed (she was 17 months when we went last trip) that means I can't have any of that either.

We had very simlar situations. So much Tofiti I could scream, but better then nothing, and some of it was very good.

We had the same type of thing were sometimes we spoke to the cheif very quickly, other times it took a long time. That can be hard when your young child wants to eat right away. ;)

We were told all the chicken nuggest contatined whey and egg whites. (this was early Jan 2006. We did not have the dinng plan, so we didn't eat out as much as you, but did many of the same places (plus as much as egss and dairy cuts out, we don't know of any peanut or tree nut allergies, of course do to her young age she has to avoid them also.) So our diets where very simlar.

Talking Hands said:
Being diabetic and unable to have nutrasweet or sugar alcohol I am basically out of luck.

Have you tried to have those two things listed as allergies when you make a sit-down reservation? I've been able to arrange certain foods (not normally served at that particular place) or a dessert to be available for William (type 1 diabetic and allergic to peanut/tree nut) if I talked to the restaurant in advance.

We generally give William a regular dessert sweetened with sugar and cover the carbs with insulin. Perhaps that would be an easier route? However I would think having those things noted on the reservation and calling in advance would yield some good results.

Selket said:
Have you tried to have those two things listed as allergies when you make a sit-down reservation? I've been able to arrange certain foods (not normally served at that particular place) or a dessert to be available for William (type 1 diabetic and allergic to peanut/tree nut) if I talked to the restaurant in advance.

We generally give William a regular dessert sweetened with sugar and cover the carbs with insulin. Perhaps that would be an easier route? However I would think having those things noted on the reservation and calling in advance would yield some good results.
Good idea. I have tired in the past but I guess it depends on the chef and the restaurant.
I did call Hoop Dee Doo and they are making me strawberries and whipped cream for dessert and grilled chicken to eat as the BBQ ribs are very sugary and the fried chicken isn't the greatest option either. I hate taking extra shots but if I must I must.

Lisbet - the only place that made William a completely special dessert was Le Cellier and I talked to one of the chefs beforehand. He made a very fancy thing (too fancy for a 3 year old but it was very nice! LOL!). The hard part is getting the actual phone number to the restaurant. Brenda Bennett was very helpful - perhaps she could communicate to the sit-downs on your behalf and have them call you back on any place you want to eat dessert.

Often we just skipped the restaurant dessert (except at buffets) because he wanted an Itskadoozie popsicle more than anything. We seem to be more limited by his peanut allergy than the diabetes when it comes to eating.

Good luck!

My biggest problem is that the normal sugar free dessert all seem to be made with nutrasweet or sugar alcohols. Makes it more difficult than just needing sugar free. I need sugar free, nutrasweet free, sugar alcohol free. My husband says I am better of just eating the sugar dessert but then I need the carb count to adjust the insulin dosage. I have someone who is trying to get the info for me within Disney. This isn't his area but he is trying to get me to the right person for the info.

just an fyi... when i called to make my adr's and mentioned ds' allergies, i was automatically given the direct phone number to each and every restaurant and told to call 48 hours in advance (as well as telling cm when i check in, tell waiter, meet chef, etc)... i think i still have a few in my dining adr spreadsheet... list where you may be going and i will see if i have the number :)

showar said:
Here is my trip report I wrote for the Kids With Food Allergies website...

Thank you so much!!! That is more than I had hoped for. I am glad you had already typed that, and did not have to start from scratch for me.

I am excited to know they have Tofutti! My DS and my non-allergic DD both love it!

Thanks again!

gigi1313 said:
just an fyi... when i called to make my adr's and mentioned ds' allergies, i was automatically given the direct phone number to each and every restaurant

Was that for your most recent trip gigi? When I've called to make ADR's for Epcot and the MK they give me a central number to call (one for MK and one for Epcot. Seems like they used to give out numbers to the restaurants and some they still do but not the ones in those parks. Had the chef at Le Cellier not called me last summer I couldn't have spoken to him directly. But places like Chef Mickeys they did give the number.

We didn't have any major problems but I can see how someone with an unusual/less common allergy could find it difficult to communicate the issue through a 3rd party!

yep, for both my august '05 trip and my jan '06 trip i was given individual phone numbers for each restaurant... perhaps it depends upon the cm that takes your adr?

Selket said:
That's interesting cause Chef Mickey's was our only disappointing experience. We couldn't get a dessert there that William would eat. The chef was not terribly helpful either. William some dessert later that we had brought when we got back to the room. I wouldn't suggest those with peanut allergies eat there or at least be prepared that dessert will be off limits. They were the least acommodating of all the places we've been.

:thumbsup2

I also had issues with CHef Mickey's this year. The Chef was very short with me. I'm very allergic to soy but only mildly allergic to nuts. My allergist says I'm fine eating things produced in a factory with nuts. Basically the chef just said all teh things except for 3 were produced elsewhere adn he didn't know exactly. They did have rice krispy treats that they made on site and the ingredients were safe but he said there were nuts used in the same facility. I said that was fine for me but I'd like one from teh back because the ones on the buffet were on a platter right next to a peanut butter bar. He refused because he said he couldn't guarantee they were safe even though I KNEW they were fine for ME. So all I could haev was teh ice cream. I also came to find out the Mickey ravioli now
has sesame somehow so I couldn't haev those this time either :(

Yvonne

gigi1313 said:
\... perhaps it depends upon the cm that takes your adr?

as with all things, this is so true. i've always felt that if one doesn't get the response/service anticipated, one should try again with another call. the odds of getting the same cm are slim.

Does this also apply when physically at the restaurant? I'm just wondering if Chef Mickey's has only one chef on duty, or if there are several chefs and a head chef? i don't know.

at 1900PF one time, i had a problem with some turkey being processed meat and not "real" as promised and i seem to recall one chef brought out another chef to talk with me.

of course, asking to speak with someone's supervisor does not generally lay the groundwork for a relaxing meal....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter