Food for flying - Suggestions?

joelkfla

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering what people like to bring to eat on the plane, on a long flight (5.5 hrs) with unreliable and rather unappetizing food service (according to review sites.)

I figure peanut butter and jelly is out, because of the smell and possibility of sitting next to an allergic passenger.

I don't like canned tuna, chicken salad, etc.

Is it safe to bring a sandwich with meat from the fridge at home, when I'm likely to be at the airport 2-3 hours before the flight? Or to pick up a turkey sandwich at some place like Panera on the way to the airport, and just have it sitting at room temp for a few hours? The TSA site says ice packs are only allowed if completely frozen; can I put ice cubes in a Ziploc and dump the melted water out before going thru security, or would they balk at the tiny bit of water around the ice?

TIA.

We always pack a lunch/dinner - whatever you like is fine but as you mentioned we also avoid peanut butter just in case. I use frozen grapes as ice and a soft sided insulated cooler, lunch box size. Grab a drink after security and your all set :)

We always pack a lunch/dinner - whatever you like is fine but as you mentioned we also avoid peanut butter just in case. I use frozen grapes as ice and a soft sided insulated cooler, lunch box size. Grab a drink after security and your all set :)
Thanks -- grapes for ice sounds like a great idea!

A sandwich sitting at room temperatures for a few hours won't spoil. Consider how people packed lunch before all the unsulated coolers and ice packs. Peanut butter should be OK. Unless you smear it on someone or their seat they won't have a reaction.

I typically grab food after security and bring it on the plane, usually a sandwich. But I have brought other things like pizza, pasta, Chinese food, etc etc before.

I do my own version of a charcuterie tray when I can for a flight. I use meats and cheeses along with my favorite fruits and vegetables that travel well. I usually add a chunk of bread or a roll and something chocolate to hit my sweet tooth. If I decide to bring a dip, it goes in my 3-1-1 bag.

A sandwich sitting at room temperatures for a few hours won't spoil. Consider how people packed lunch before all the unsulated coolers and ice packs. Peanut butter should be OK. Unless you smear it on someone or their seat they won't have a reaction.
Not true. Peanuts can be an airborne allergen. Just the smell can set off a reaction. I think in this day and age it is wise to avoid bringing peanuts on to a plane. My daughter has a peanut allergy and the airline sets up a buffer zone around her. Guests sitting near her are asked not to consume peanuts. So anyone bringing that as a meal may find themselves going hungry. People sometimes are irked to be in the buffer zone, but they’d be more inconvenienced by an emergency landing due to an analphylactic reaction.

I noticed your location is Orlando. Is that the airport you’re leaving from? If so, pack a few extra dollars and get lunch at the airport. :)

Peanut butter should be OK. Unless you smear it on someone or their seat they won't have a reaction.

It might be scary though. Especially for those who can smell but not see it.

Peanuts can be an airborne allergen.

Peanut butter? I’ve read lots of interesting debates over the years about it, by people who deal with that allergy. Most have said that peanut butter doesn’t cause that. So hard for those of us in the outside to know what’s right when people on the same basic side have different knowledge!!

I noticed your location is Orlando. Is that the airport you’re leaving from? If so, pack a few extra dollars and get lunch at the airport. :)

It might be scary though. Especially for those who can smell but not see it.

Peanut butter? I’ve read lots of interesting debates over the years about it, by people who deal with that allergy. Most have said that peanut butter doesn’t cause that. So hard for those of us in the outside to know what’s right when people on the same basic side have different knowledge!!
My allergist says to assume it’s airborne. The affected individual doesn’t know until the airborne rxn occurs. You are right about the smell of peanuts. I never used to get the buffer zone for dd until after a flight where the people in front of us opened their peanut butter sandwiches. That smell in a confined space was terrifying for me. I think it’s always better to leave the peanuts st home. Better safe than sorry. As I said, a rxn while in the air would be an inconvenience for everyone on board.

I do my own version of a charcuterie tray when I can for a flight. I use meats and cheeses along with my favorite fruits and vegetables that travel well. I usually add a chunk of bread or a roll and something chocolate to hit my sweet tooth. If I decide to bring a dip, it goes in my 3-1-1 bag.

Yes, but every single fast food place at OIA has horror stories on Yelp!

I found the airline has a food pre-purchase option, so I went ahead & pre-ordered something looking like a taco salad. I'm sure it won't be as lovely as the photo on the airline website (in a china bowl with sauces beside it in a nice dipping bowl), but they say I can get a refund after the fact if I hate it. I'll just pack a bunch of chips & crackers to tide me over in case it's totally inedible &/or inadequate.

I found the airline has a food pre-purchase option, so I went ahead & pre-ordered something looking like a taco salad. I'm sure it won't be as lovely as the photo on the airline website (in a china bowl with sauces beside it in a nice dipping bowl), but they say I can get a refund after the fact if I hate it. I'll just pack a bunch of chips & crackers to tide me over in case it's totally inedible &/or inadequate.

Not sure which terminal you are flying out of but we have had some great food at cask and larder (sp?) when flying swa. Sit down service was quick and the food was great, I ordered a sandwich to go (made to order not the pre-made) last trip and it was very good. Honestly I have never liked the onboard food even in first class so we always have our own even if its just a bagel and cream cheese!

Didn't TSA announce you can no longer bring food thru security?

No -
Some airports are screening food separately and others are not.
From the TSA website for reference:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening

We all had food in our carryon bags last week and nothing was selected for additional screening, Philly 11/21 then Orlando 11/26. I am flying again next week and will report back if my lunch is selected to screen!

Not sure which terminal you are flying out of but we have had some great food at cask and larder (sp?) when flying swa. Sit down service was quick and the food was great, I ordered a sandwich to go (made to order not the pre-made) last trip and it was very good. Honestly I have never liked the onboard food even in first class so we always have our own even if its just a bagel and cream cheese!
WestJet - Gates 70-99. Not a whole lot out there; not even a McDonald's. There is a Nathan's; I was a fan of Nathan's when I grew up in NY, but their franchise shops have disappointed me.

No -
Some airports are screening food separately and others are not.
From the TSA website for reference:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening

We all had food in our carryon bags last week and nothing was selected for additional screening, Philly 11/21 then Orlando 11/26. I am flying again next week and will report back if my lunch is selected to screen!

Different airports have different rules at different times. You might have to put all of the food in its own bin at security. They might swab your food. The Wall Street Journal said that more airports will be implementing the food rules.

Different airports have different rules at different times. You might have to put all of the food in its own bin at security. They might swab your food. The Wall Street Journal said that more airports will be implementing the food rules.

Yes - I did say that some airports are screening food -but you can still bring it!

We just packed it a gallon zip in case it had to be screened and then put it into the soft sided cooler so it would have been easy peasy to pull it out if asked. For some it's not worth it to pack food but for us it is, we like what we like and we don't always want to wait for service to begin. In fact on our way to Orlando service was suspended as there was a slight medical emergency - thankfully they were ok :)

WestJet - Gates 70-99. Not a whole lot out there; not even a McDonald's. There is a Nathan's; I was a fan of Nathan's when I grew up in NY, but their franchise shops have disappointed me.

LOL no way would I bring a hotdog on board! Maybe grab some crackers or granola bar to hold you over in case the meal doesn't go as planned.
Safe travels

I wouldn't let Yelp reviews constrict my choices. Probably most fast food joints anywhere get bad Yelp reviews occasionally- typically only disgruntled patrons bother to post reviews, especially for fast food. (Be honest, how many positive, carefully written reviews have you bothered to post online for places like Starbucks or Chick-Fil-A?)

I've eaten at MCO (that's the Orlando airport code, not OIA) many times without ever having a problem. My son is gluten-free, so we do Chipotle most often, but I've also eaten at their McDonalds, their Asian fast food place, and at a sit-down Tex-Mex restaurant there. Never had bad food, bad hygeine or any other issue.

I wouldn't worry about bringing a ham sandwich and it going bad. I bring sandwiches to work all the time that get stored without refrigeration and have never had an issue.

I'm generally not a fan of grabbing a meal in my home airport. Prices are generally too expensive for what you get.

We like to bring cut up cheese, crackers and pepperoni with some grapes, carrots and nuts. It's easy to eat, not messy, doesn't smell and if it's not refrigerated for a couple hours it won't be a problem. And it doesn't raise any red flags with TSA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter