• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food prices at Aulani INSANE

Our daughter travels all over the world on business. She just got back from Hawaii and talked about how insane the food prices were, especially at Aulani. She was able to visit 3 islands during her stay, though was only able to stay one night at Aulani. She said the resort was very nice. She said all of the resorts where she stayed were nice, but thought everything else outside of the resorts seemed very run down. She was also shocked by the homeless problem that they're having. It was her first trip to Hawaii and unless its back for business, she said it will no doubt be her last.
I'm at Aulani and I will address the issues raised in this post. 1. Food prices at Aulani are high. We don't eat here except for the odd poolside purchase. For a nice splurge dinner, Mina's Fish house next door is good. Monkey Pod across the street is good and the prices aren't too bad. We always buy food at Safeway and Costco when we arrive. There are many good places to eat. You have to scope them out. As for run down, we're not seeing it and we usually come here once per year. The only homeless people I saw are maybe one at the North Shore. He may or may not have been homeless. We were also in Waikiki and I didn't notice the homeless. There are homeless in every urban center in the world. I don't see Hawaii as any different. Hawaii is a beautiful and safe place to visit. Aloha!

I'm at Aulani and I will address the issues raised in this post. 1. Food prices at Aulani are high. We don't eat here except for the odd poolside purchase. For a nice splurge dinner, Mina's Fish house next door is good. Monkey Pod across the street is good and the prices aren't too bad. We always buy food at Safeway and Costco when we arrive. There are many good places to eat. You have to scope them out. As for run down, we're not seeing it and we usually come here once per year. The only homeless people I saw are maybe one at the North Shore. He may or may not have been homeless. We were also in Waikiki and I didn't notice the homeless. There are homeless in every urban center in the world. I don't see Hawaii as any different. Hawaii is a beautiful and safe place to visit. Aloha!
Enjoy your stay! We checked out yesterday!

Attachments

• 72A37E42-53C1-4C00-966C-EAB97FECC8EE.jpeg
    72A37E42-53C1-4C00-966C-EAB97FECC8EE.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 5
We did a whale watching tour out of Waianae (25m N of Aulani) and drove past the string of homeless encampments along the coast.

We saw similar encampments when we were in Maui (or maybe it was just family weekend BBQing?).

In any event, we live in an urban metro area so this is pretty normal to us. We actually like to see what life looks like outside of touristy areas so weren’t bothered by it. The Hawaiian islands are always still enchanting. Dreaming of my next visit.

I’m sorry for your loss… ;)
Lol...it was time to go home for us! 3 days at Aulani every two months is good enough especially with kiddos running everywhere! We'll be back in March where we hope to find sweeter syrup at the Shave Ice Stand!

So we're going to Aulani for the 2nd time in April for our 30th anniversary (OV studio so not really "cooking"). Last time we went was in like 2014 or so. First time in MANY years going without our DS who is now grown. This will be my 6th trip to Hawai'i though so we've been around Waikiki a few times and done many of the touristy things. This will also be the first time we're not visiting multiple islands. We will have a car and will stop by Target and / or Safeway for some basics like booze, beer, breakfast & lunch items (Costco sizes are a lot for 2 people) and will hit the ABC store. When we went the last time we did not do Ama Ama (didn't think the kiddo would appreciate it so much at the time) and I was excited to hear it was finally reopening until I heard it's a pre-fix menu now. We're not fans of that as we don't always do apps and never do dessert (DH has to watch his diet / fat & sugar intake). It's so much easier for someone with dietary restrictions to be able to choose from a regular entree menu. This is our 30th anniversary trip so I had hoped to dine there this time but am having a hard time swallowing the $125 pp price tag for a menu that we don't love. We may end up doing Roy's or Longhi's or Noe instead. I haven't really read anything that says the pre-fix price tag @ Ama Ama is worth it for the FOOD. I know the VIEW is nice but I can also walk down to the lagoon to see the sunset for free. (Shrug)

Last time we went we really enjoyed Makahiki but it looks like that set-up has also changed. It used to be a wonderfully huge buffet (reminiscent of Boma). Not fans of family style or whatever they've changed it to. Very disappointing to see a huge price tag for more limited food options. We loved Monkey Pod last time so I know we'll go there again at least once. And now we'll try the new Mexican place across the way too. Does anybody know if the Pizza shop is still over across the street on the corner? That was a nice (cheap-ish) meal last time too. I am making a list of restaurants to try for dinners. I figured if we do breakfast & lunch from the room then dinners could be "out". Although this is an anniversary trip we still have a budget to stick to. This trip is only happening because we have DVC to use for our accomodations and I have very frugally planned our flights and our rental car to be paid for with credit card miles. My goal is to not go into major hock for this trip (we have 2 other trips planned to Disney this year that will also suck their share of our annual discretionary budget). I want to plan excursions of some sort every other day with resort days sandwiched inbetween. But I want to plan for 8 meals out (a mix of "nice" and casual). Has anybody gone into Waikiki for any dinners lately? I know it's a haul but just curious if there's anything there now that we should try to hit that would be worth the drive?

So we're going to Aulani for the 2nd time in April for our 30th anniversary (OV studio so not really "cooking"). Last time we went was in like 2014 or so. First time in MANY years going without our DS who is now grown. This will be my 6th trip to Hawai'i though so we've been around Waikiki a few times and done many of the touristy things. This will also be the first time we're not visiting multiple islands. We will have a car and will stop by Target and / or Safeway for some basics like booze, beer, breakfast & lunch items (Costco sizes are a lot for 2 people) and will hit the ABC store. When we went the last time we did not do Ama Ama (didn't think the kiddo would appreciate it so much at the time) and I was excited to hear it was finally reopening until I heard it's a pre-fix menu now. We're not fans of that as we don't always do apps and never do dessert (DH has to watch his diet / fat & sugar intake). It's so much easier for someone with dietary restrictions to be able to choose from a regular entree menu. This is our 30th anniversary trip so I had hoped to dine there this time but am having a hard time swallowing the $125 pp price tag for a menu that we don't love. We may end up doing Roy's or Longhi's or Noe instead. I haven't really read anything that says the pre-fix price tag @ Ama Ama is worth it for the FOOD. I know the VIEW is nice but I can also walk down to the lagoon to see the sunset for free. (Shrug)

Last time we went we really enjoyed Makahiki but it looks like that set-up has also changed. It used to be a wonderfully huge buffet (reminiscent of Boma). Not fans of family style or whatever they've changed it to. Very disappointing to see a huge price tag for more limited food options. We loved Monkey Pod last time so I know we'll go there again at least once. And now we'll try the new Mexican place across the way too. Does anybody know if the Pizza shop is still over across the street on the corner? That was a nice (cheap-ish) meal last time too. I am making a list of restaurants to try for dinners. I figured if we do breakfast & lunch from the room then dinners could be "out". Although this is an anniversary trip we still have a budget to stick to. This trip is only happening because we have DVC to use for our accomodations and I have very frugally planned our flights and our rental car to be paid for with credit card miles. My goal is to not go into major hock for this trip (we have 2 other trips planned to Disney this year that will also suck their share of our annual discretionary budget). I want to plan excursions of some sort every other day with resort days sandwiched inbetween. But I want to plan for 8 meals out (a mix of "nice" and casual). Has anybody gone into Waikiki for any dinners lately? I know it's a haul but just curious if there's anything there now that we should try to hit that would be worth the drive?
We love a Mediterranean restaurant near the Ala Moana Center called Istanbul. The prices are far more reasonable that what you find in Waikiki, and it’s delicious.
We also have a hard time swallowing the $125 pp, plus tip, plus maybe a couple glasses of wine, price at Ama Ama, but I’m going to splurge for it in Feb. It better be good!

My wife and I were at AMA AMA on opening night and enjoyed the experience, including the FOOD. The wine pairing was fine, but the wine list itself had lots of options and so next time I will order directly from there (no savion blanc or Pinot Grigio please!). You also have the ability to select certain options, so it is not completely pre-fix.

That doesn’t mean that it is right for you because of dietary restrictions, preferences, or budget.

Mina’s is our last night tradition. MonkeyPod is our first night tradition the rest of the time we cook in the room. Last year the grills were closed we are looking forward to grilling this trip. Lots of fresh fish to eat while I am near the ocean. We do the Costco and Safeway run as well.

My wife and I were at AMA AMA on opening night and enjoyed the experience, including the FOOD. The wine pairing was fine, but the wine list itself had lots of options and so next time I will order directly from there (no savion blanc or Pinot Grigio please!). You also have the ability to select certain options, so it is not completely pre-fix.

That doesn’t mean that it is right for you because of dietary restrictions, preferences, or budget.
🤣🤣 I can already tell we have different tastes based upon your wine distastes as those are both my go-to's for white!🤣🤣

Mina’s is our last night tradition. MonkeyPod is our first night tradition the rest of the time we cook in the room. Last year the grills were closed we are looking forward to grilling this trip. Lots of fresh fish to eat while I am near the ocean. We do the Costco and Safeway run as well.
Where is Mina's?

So we're going to Aulani for the 2nd time in April for our 30th anniversary (OV studio, so not really "cooking"). Last time we went was in like 2014 or so. First time in MANY years going without our DS who is now grown. This will be my 6th trip to Hawai'i though so we've been around Waikiki a few times and done many of the touristy things. This will also be the first time we're not visiting multiple islands. We will have a car and will stop by Target and / or Safeway for some basics like booze, beer, breakfast & lunch items (Costco sizes are a lot for 2 people) and will hit the ABC store. When we went the last time we did not do Ama Ama (didn't think the kiddo would appreciate it so much at the time) and I was excited to hear it was finally reopening until I heard it's a pre-fix menu now. We're not fans of that as we don't always do apps and never do dessert (DH has to watch his diet / fat & sugar intake). It's so much easier for someone with dietary restrictions to be able to choose from a regular entree menu. This is our 30th anniversary trip so I had hoped to dine there this time but am having a hard time swallowing the $125 pp price tag for a menu that we don't love. We may end up doing Roy's or Longhi's or Noe instead. I haven't really read anything that says the pre-fix price tag @ Ama Ama is worth it for the FOOD. I know the VIEW is nice but I can also walk down to the lagoon to see the sunset for free. (Shrug)

I love the Japanese food in Oahu. My favorite three Japanese restaurants are Marugame Udon in Waikiki, Tanaka Ramen in Kapolei, and Curry House CoCo Ichibanya in Kapolei. These three restaurants are very casual and reasonably priced.

Are the grills charcoal or gas?

The grills were closed in December. Maybe call to check when you plan to visit.

I don’t think the pizza place you inquired about is there anymore. There’s an ice cream place on the corner next to Monkeypod.

Strongly recommend Mad Bene Italian for a nice restaurant (but not fine dining) experience. They’re located in the same shopping center as target. Get the market price gnocchi of the day! Freshly made and melts in your mouth!! Wonderful Al dente pasta and Naples style pizza.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter