For all of you worried that Happily Ever After won't be a good replacement for Wishes

So if I saw the first one (and liked it) it might be good idea to skip this one? Since this version isn't as good as the first one?
I was awestruck by Symphony in the Stars. I've watched the new one on Youtube and have no desire to see it live (and I love Star Wars). Watching movie scenes on the front of the Chinese Theater with some lasers and a few fireworks on the side just isn't the same as having incredible, huge, close fireworks exploding around to John Williams' epic score.

Happily Ever After looks like it will take the top spot for the nighttime spectaculars. It has the same "wow" factor that Symphony in the Stars had...especially when Williams' Pirates of the Caribbean score plays during that segment. His music is made for fireworks!

I watched the video, and it looks great as long as you can see the castle, but it also looks like it won't be so great from many places that you don't have a clear view of the castle like Tomorrowland Terrace dessert party, Contemporary California Grill viewing, and other places that charge a premium for fireworks viewing.
I didn't do my research and thought watching from the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party Terrace would be fine.

WRONG!

I feel like I still haven't seen FEA-we couldn't "make out" most of the Character projections and couldn't see any of the "action" in the "lower Castle",etc.

It was such a "limited" experience,I had no idea FEA is so awesome until I started reading the rave reviews afterward.

I was awestruck by Symphony in the Stars. I've watched the new one on Youtube and have no desire to see it live (and I love Star Wars). Watching movie scenes on the front of the Chinese Theater with some lasers and a few fireworks on the side just isn't the same as having incredible, huge, close fireworks exploding around to John Williams' epic score.

Happily Ever After looks like it will take the top spot for the nighttime spectaculars. It has the same "wow" factor that Symphony in the Stars had...especially when Williams' Pirates of the Caribbean score plays during that segment. His music is made for fireworks!
POTC composer is Zimmer not Williams, I can only say don't discard SWaGS until you watch it live, video doesn't do any show justice

I said this in another post.

Wishes was clearly Disney magic. The stuff Disney dreams are made of. Happily Ever After is technology driven. No magic, no pixie dust for me. The new show is nice, but no tears, no emotions running for me. I thought it would be moving.... not in the least. I wanted to love it. I wanted to get teary-eyed and be excited to see it again in a few days. Nope. I have no issue with change. I am more than happy for Disney to give us something new. Not this time. I was not "disappointed" at all, but I just do not "love" it. Too much about technology and not enough pointing at the core of that Disney magic. Having said that, this show will still be loved by many. I think kids will especially like it with the familiar faces and voices. Over time, when the shock of change wears off, it will be accepted and loved by many and of course by those who are new to Disney. It is still a great show...I personally do not feel that Disney "hit it out of the park".

why are some people trying to be negative by assuming Disney will eventually take stuff out of the show?

I do not think people are being negative. The reality is, Disney has been cutting back for years. They shorten shows and cut costs where they can while increasing guest's prices. That is not negative. That is just truth.

I am heartbroken over losing Wishes. After seeing the finale, my daughter and I were practically in tears and I honestly had that grieving feeling of losing something close to me. Wishes is classic disney. The music and the simpleness of the show was moving and brought upon emotions. That being said, I've only watched HEA online and even though the show itself is pretty cool, the show, the music, the projections do not move me or pull on my heartstrings as Wishes did. That is the disappointing part. I wouldn't mind a new show if it made you feel those magical moments like Wishes did. But this show doesn't do it for me. The main song is something you would hear on a teen show on the disney channel. This show seems to be more about technology than disney magic. And I hope everyone who says they can take some parts of the show out to cut costs is wrong. That will be even worse.

We saw Happily Ever After tonight and thought it was amazing! Yes, viewing in front of the castle is best, IMO standing in line with the first set of turrets to see the projections on them along with the castle and above people's heads in of you. (The ground slopes toward the castle)
I really loved the show and it was not a mob scene near us. We got off HM about 8:25 and walked right over and sat in the hub. They do ask everyone to stand and move up closer before the show. We had plenty of room and were not squished in.
I felt the show itself was moving and was very impressed. Seriously, after seeing ROL and HEA this week I am really liking the direction Disney is going with their technology with these new shows. I purposely did not watch any videos for either since I wanted a fresh experience. Fantasmic and ILLUMINATIONS need a refurb, IMO. I am looking forward to the Star Wars dessert party this week too!

Those of you who were fans of Wishes know you can still see it, right? The beauty of Youtube...it's there in full, in perpetuity!

Those of you who were fans of Wishes know you can still see it, right? The beauty of Youtube...it's there in full, in perpetuity!

That's exactly what my DS6 said. Half-way through watching HEA from Poly on Friday, he turned to me and said "Don't worry dad, we can always watch Wishes on YouTube." He's six. :rotfl::rotfl:

I have dozens of videos I've taken of Wishes too but is hardly a replacement for watching it live. That being said, I would prefer to watch Wishes on YouTube than Happily Ever After in person.

We have seen Wishes more times then I can count. A few years ago for our 5 year anniversary, we did a Wishes cruise out of the Poly after dinner at 'Ohana, with some family and friends. This is one of my favorite memories. We saw Wishes twice in its last week (even did the Garden dessert party one night). Besides Main Street, our favorite place to watch Wishes is from the poly beach after a great dinner. Unfortunately, it sounds like this will not be as good a viewing of the new show. I wish I had scheduled another Wishes cruise before it ended. I'm curious how popular the night time fireworks cruises will be with the new show.

Please don't think I am being sarcastic with the following question but for those who like it, can you try to explain why?

All I see is a bunch of characters being projected onto the castle with a couple of beautiful Disney songs played. I don't see how this is a worthy replacement for Wishes. I felt the same with DLP's Dreams replacement, Illuminations. That just seemed like an advert for upcoming/recent films.

I don't like this projection stuff being everywhere at the moment.

I just think it's a mish mosh of showing certain characters and I don't see how that adds up to a Happily Ever After. The bit where the Destiny song from Merida is playing for example and then Lightening and Sally appear?! There's no story arc to anything anymore it seems. Also not sure why people seem to act like the song is all new and original when it's been in Hong Kong for at least 2 years? But the overseas parks seem not to matter to some people.

So if I saw the first one (and liked it) it might be good idea to skip this one? Since this version isn't as good as the first one?

I think it is very different than the previous one - the new one is really a projection show with fireworks and lazers and fire effects to complement it

I think it is very immersive (the part when you can hear Darth Vader's breathing coming from all around you for example) and I do know a lot of non-Star Wars fans who like it for that fact.

So if you really don't like Star Wars and really like Fireworks, this probably isn't for you. If you are ok with Star Wars (even if not a huge fan) and like technically cool shows (whether they have a lot of fireworks or not) then I say give it a shot

Please don't think I am being sarcastic with the following question but for those who like it, can you try to explain why?

All I see is a bunch of characters being projected onto the castle with a couple of beautiful Disney songs played. I don't see how this is a worthy replacement for Wishes. I felt the same with DLP's Dreams replacement, Illuminations. That just seemed like an advert for upcoming/recent films.

I just think it's a mish mosh of showing certain characters and I don't see how that adds up to a Happily Ever After. The bit where the Destiny song from Merida is playing for example and then Lightening and Sally appear?! There's no story arc to anything anymore it seems. Also not sure why people seem to act like the song is all new and original when it's been in Hong Kong for at least 2 years? But the overseas parks seem not to matter to some people.

I haven't seen HAE live and I am a huge Wishes fan ... but I really liked the new show and thought it was very cool

I do think the storyline isn't clear just from watching it - but hearing the director describe the story beforehand I think it makes a lot of sense when you watch it - basically finding out what your dream is and then going out and making it a reality -it's up to you to do it, it isn't just sitting around saying "someday my prince will come"

I don't think I got as emotional watching it the first time as I did for Wishes - something about that Jiminy Cricket naration ... but I do think the message of the show when I think about my kids and wanting this to inspire them got me emotional. And the final bit from the Go the Distance part with all the characters in stained glass on the Castle through the finale of the main song with the large choir singing it I think is wonderful and classic Disney

just to add - I am right there with you on some of the mash ups - specifically the Cars part ... really felt like it was just shoehorned in there

Things don't need to be emotional to be good. The show is impressive...eye popping. It's fun. It's enjoyable. It did happen to make me cry in parts (like when Tink flies, the hunchback part, the go the distance part and the finale).

As for not caring about the overseas parks?? How many of us have been there?? How many of us ever will?? This is new TO US.

We have seen Wishes more times then I can count. A few years ago for our 5 year anniversary, we did a Wishes cruise out of the Poly after dinner at 'Ohana, with some family and friends. This is one of my favorite memories. We saw Wishes twice in its last week (even did the Garden dessert party one night). Besides Main Street, our favorite place to watch Wishes is from the poly beach after a great dinner. Unfortunately, it sounds like this will not be as good a viewing of the new show. I wish I had scheduled another Wishes cruise before it ended. I'm curious how popular the night time fireworks cruises will be with the new show.

Just one person's perspective, but I watched from a Poly TPV room very close to the beach on Friday night. I thought the viewing there was just as good as ever. Yes, there are show elements that you can't see or appreciate from the distance, but it's still a great fireworks show and I would consider it a perfectly valid place to watch.

The only nit was low volume in that area, but that was a problem during Wishes too that has been going on for awhile.

After watching out of park Friday and in park on Saturday, both are good entertainment in my book. One is not a substutite for the other though. Wishes had subtle differences in the in-park/out of park experiences. This show changes that dynamic, but I like how the experience can be different from different places.

Last edited:

For me personally, I'm not a big fireworks person so I like all the projections. I thought the way they intergrated the newer technology added more "punch" to the whole show. The colors are so vivid and projections so clear it puts the projections of Fantasmic to shame.
My take on the theme is not so much telling a story but showing a compilation of beloved
characters with the ending of "happily ever after". That part I found refreshing, seeing older characters and ones without a big park presence.
For me, I felt the same vibe that I had seeing spectromagic for the first time back in 1994. Back then it was impressive to see how Disney went above and beyond with entertaining their guests. I feel like HEA (and also ROL) do that. Like a step forward and far above entertainment at other theme parks.
The villain section was a big "wow" for me and the whole show was stunning. I really loved it. And I'm one who is still crying over spectromagic! I never had that vibe with msep or wishes. I thought they were cute, but didnt watch either every time we're here.
It's subjective, some will like it, some won't. But I'm glad for some new things to keep Disney fresh and moving forward.
I will mention that the crowd was very vocal during HEA and the general concensus was that it was an impressive show. People oohing and awwing, clapping, singing, crying. It was really cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter