For the 1st time in forever, I don't own a diesel pickup

Teamubr

From somewhere outside StL
It seems like forever, but I've had a diesel truck for 20 years.

Saturday my 2016 F350 dually diesel, along with my 2016 Chaparral 5th wheel went to a new home. Many of you know I have been contemplating switching to a Class A. I have been looking for a year or so. The advantages to me were obvious (no stopping for bathroom breaks. a cold drink or something to eat is a few feet away and not the next truck stop and 30 minutes later, no hitching and unhitching). DW wasn't as convinced. We have casually looked at a few the last 2 years, but DW said she hasn't seen anything she likes more than our 5er... until 2 weeks ago. We have been battling water issues with our 5 year old camper. The bedroom slide floor was replaced by the factory 2 years ago. I re-sealed the rear corners last year after I found water problems on one side. Nothing severe, but it would have been if I hadn't caught it. My old 13 year old 5er never had any water problems and I have maintained both the same way.

Needing to replace furniture (the dreaded faux leather crack and peel on the Thomas Payne furniture) and concerned where the next water intrusion would be, DW agreed to look at some different brands of MH "to get an idea what to look for in a used one". Our Camping World had a Winnebago Tour, similar to what PA Hunter just bought. It was nice, but not a floor plan we wanted, but there was a 4 year old Thor Aria diesel pusher that DW fell in love with. It was priced a little above where I wanted to go, but close enough to talk. When we went into to talk about a trade, the salesman discovered it had been sold the night before. That broke the ice for DW that there may be a MH that would work for us.

Last weekend we drove around to 2 other RV dealers that carried diesel pushers to look at SportsCoaches and Fleetwoods. Again, just to get an idea of the different brands in the market and see what felt right. We certainly were not in the "new" MH" market and used ones are hard to find right now. The SportCoaches were ok. They are an entry level pusher (according to the internet) and they felt like it. Functional, but not high end. They are made by the same company (Coachmen) as my 5er and the similarities were obvious. The next stop was an old RV dealer not far from where DW and I grew up. I always remember them selling the old hard sided popups called Apache. In fact, the dealer is still named Apache Village. They now sell mostly Jayco and Fleetwood.

The Fleetwood pushers (Discovery and Pace Arrow) are really nice. An obvious step up (or 2) from the SportsCoach. They had a 2018 Discovery 44 ft, tag axle beast that was beautiful, but also $100,000 over our budget. There was a Holliday Rambler bunk house that was nice. The Pace Arrow was ok too, but they only had new ones, also above our budget. Then we saw a really pretty Fleetwood Discovery along the back fence. The sales man said they just brought it in the night before. It belonged to the dealership's uncle who had medical problems and can't drive it anymore. It looked too new to afford. Even the salesman said it was "probably only a few years old" based on the shape it was in.

We took a look and it was in amazing shape. DW said she hated the furniture, but really liked everything else. I was sure it was too new and expensive for what I was looking for. Inside we saw a sign on the counter. It was a 2012 and the price was $30,000 under what I thought my max would be. An hour later, we had a deal. This coach is in incredible shape. It only has 18,000 miles on it and many things have never been used. Half of the basement compartments have obviously never had anything in them. The original owner bought it from that dealership (his nephew) new and kept it parked in a barn its entire life. The owner said he had a daughter in Delaware that he made a yearly trip to see and other than 1 trip out west to see Rushmore and the badlands, it stayed in the barn. The only thing we would change is the color of the furniture. It is a cream/tan that DW and I aren't crazy about, but everything else is perfect. It even came ready for Midwest (and Florida) Summers with 3 A/C units.

Here are the details:
  • 2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
  • 41ft 8 inches (exactly the same as my 5er)
  • 380 HP Cummins 8.3
  • Allison 3000 6 speed
There are a few upgrades from the floorplan below. Ours has a king Sleep Number bed in the master. The "dual recliners" were upgraded to a sofa sleeper (also with air mattress) and the dinette is a booth instead of the table and chairs. That gave us the sleeping areas DW wanted. The "four door" refrigerator is a residential side by side. It came with an "InMotion" satellite dish, but it is 2012 technology that was obsoleted in 2016. That will be getting updated at some point, but I can use my tripod HD dish for now.
20210313_153714.jpg

20210322_085547.jpg20210319_164831.jpg20210319_164812_copy_2304x1296.jpg20210319_192729_copy_2304x1296.jpg20210319_192738_copy_2304x1296.jpg
20210313_134032_copy_1092x2304.jpg20210319_192752_copy_2304x4096.jpg
20210319_192802_copy_2304x1296.jpg20210319_192835_copy_2304x1296.jpg

Spent the weekend getting things moved back into it. Our first trip will be Easter weekend to meet our full time friends in central Illinois. They are back from North Carolina for a few weeks to clear out storage lockers and see her brother who is driving back from Arizona (to Ohio) where he full times over the Winter.

j

Last edited:
Teamubr, I love your new home away from home. So glad you were able to find something you both loved! I like the furniture also. If I can ever afford a camper, would like to get a small MH. Easy for me to drive. Hope to see y'all in June.

Congratulations Jim. I really never had the 5er or bumper pull to compare to. We jumped in feet first with ours and never questioned the decision. Lori will make me a sandwich while I'm driving. She can use the bathroom while we're moving but I have to wait on rest stops. Ok, we've hot swapped the driver seat in an emergency but only in stop and go traffic. 😊
Welcome to the club. Don't know if it'll be "better" for you but I'm pretty convinced it was for us. Enjoy!

Good looking rig. So much for needing to keep a close eye on my inverter install 🤣.

I don't see me ever ditching the towable, but stranger things have happened.

Jack,

I was thinking about your inverter setup when I was looking at the battery banks in this thing. There are 2 inverters. one for the refrigerator and one for the other 110 volt things. I know it runs the TVs, but not sure how much else. The inverters are only 2000 watts each. There is also a small (2 X 3ft?) solar panel on the roof that is supposed to keep the batteries topped up when in storage and the disconnects are flipped. There is still a small draw from the chassis computers and the electric door lock according to the manual.

So much to learn on this coach.

j

Jack,

I was thinking about your inverter setup when I was looking at the battery banks in this thing. There are 2 inverters. one for the refrigerator and one for the other 110 volt things. I know it runs the TVs, but not sure how much else. The inverters are only 2000 watts each.

I assume it's got a beefy onboard generator though too, right? Sounds like if you aren't running the genny you aren't going to be quite in the 20th century when unplugged, but close. I guess it depends on how you want to camp if you need to go off the deep end like me.

We looked at at Tiffen that had a layout like that. Dealer looked it over and found water damage due to intrusion. So that was out.

Looks good, Jim. You still have a diesel, just not a pickup.

Looks like this is shaping up to be the Class A Dismeet of 2021. :rotfl2:

I assume it's got a beefy onboard generator though too, right?
8000 watt generator. There is even a remote start switch for it next to the bed in the bedroom
We looked at at Tiffen that had a layout like that. Dealer looked it over and found water damage due to intrusion. So that was out.

Looks good, Jim. You still have a diesel, just not a pickup.

Looks like this is shaping up to be the Class A Dismeet of 2021. :rotfl2:
We thought we wanted a rear bath and a half. I liked the closet/bathroom layout in most of them, but we realized most of the 1 1/2 bath floorplans lost a seating/sleeping area in the living room. Having reasonable sleeping for at least 4 was a must. Unless we went with a 44ft coach and paid the premium, we weren't going to get both.

Of course this will be a classy DIS Meet. Oh wait, I forgot you aren't from down south and you really meant a motorhome. :laughing:

j

Last edited:
8000 watt generator. There is even a remote start switch for it next to the bed in the bedroom

That's good. Maybe you can plug in the coffee maker and toaster into outlets that are dead, unless the genny is on, and you can roll over and flip the switch while still groggy and have breakfast going like Doc Brown in Back to the Future.

Congratulations!! I think that is a great choice for you. I miss my DP every now and again and that one looks like it will fit your needs for a good long while. Even if you need to upgrade some electronics along the way, just think of the weight savings as you move to modern LED TVs!

Hopefully at some point get to see it in person.

Man, you folks are out pacing me more and more!

It looks good Jim. Congrats on that for sure.

Didn't realize the 5er was giving you that much trouble.

Jim,

Have you and DW negotiated yet on who gets which work-from-home location if you long stay some place this coming winter? Is that still the plan?

Also, since the truck is gone from the family fleet, do you have another vehicle that can be towed behind?

I'm pretty sure I saw a Ford F150 being flat-towed when I was driving home from Florida yesterday.

Ed

Our work from the RV situation is Bert gets the dining table. I work from either outside or the bed. that does allow us to have doors shut so we dont disturb each other.

Yes the F150 can be flat towed. We keep our eyes out in case we ever need to replace the rav. I still don't want to drive an F150, which keeps Jeep high on the tow vehicle list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter