• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Dining or No Free Dining...We're heading back in Sept!!!

aggie9293

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone.

Well, as you can tell by the title of my pre-trip report, we're heading back to Disney in September, free dining or not. We're counting down the days until our trip already. My husband was texting me today with comments like "right now we'd be waiting for the Magical Express" and "We'd be at Downtown Disney now!". Needless to say, he is so READY to go!!

So, the cast of characters includes me (Kaaren), my husband Dave, and our 9 yr old daughter Emily. This will be the third year in a row we've gone to Disney in September. Gotta love pulling the child out of school every year for vacation! :teacher:

I am the planner, the organizer, and the one who does all the research, ADRs, etc. I love it!! :love: Working on a Disney trip makes me happy and the hours spent reading dining reviews, searching through the DIS boards for the latest info/advice, and planning out our days to me is just plain FUN! I love Fantasmic, Minnie, and Tink! :tinker:

Dave is counting down the days, literally. He is so excited and ready to head back for a week of Disney fun. He's a roller coaster junkie and his fav characters are Grumpy and Sorcerer Mickey. :smickey: He's also looking forward to a week of the deluxe dining plan and lots of snacks!

Emily is a roller coaster junkie like her Dad and loves the Disney Fairies. Her fav is Tink, of course! On our first trip when she was 7, she declared Goofy's Barnstormer "too long a wait for too short a ride" and proceeded to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and never looked back! She'll ride anything - the faster and scarier the better.

I hope you'll join me as we count down the days and keep those fingers crossed for free dining!!!! :mickeybar

A big question and a very important one! On our first trip in 2008, we stayed at Coronado Springs. CSR was beautiful and we liked it a lot. However, as that was our first trip to Disney as a family, we weren't sure what to expect. As it turned out, we ended up being one of those families who is there when the park opens and stays until it closes. We only came back to CSR during the day once and that was to freshen up before heading to MK for MNSSHP (Em needed to change into her Cinderella dress).

For our 2nd trip in 2009, we decided to try out a value resort. After much research and reading, we stayed at Pop. Let me tell you, I couldn't have been more pleased with that decision! Saved some $$ (always important, especially nowadays), had everything we needed in a hotel, and a great food court. Emily loved the tie dye cheesecake and begged to stay at Pop again just for that!

So, for our Sept/Oct 2010 trip, we will again be staying at Pop. While a value resort may not work for everyone, it is the right place for us. Hoping we can get a room close to where we were last year. It was perfect - 4th floor, on the end right by the stairs, and close to food court/main building. The room assigner did a great job with the request I faxed in!

Stay tuned...next up will be the ever critical "where to eat"!!

i am joining in your PTR!!:) I am also going in sept-- and still praying for free dinning!!! It better come out soon:) We are also staying at CSR this year-- but this will be our first mod resort we have stayed at POP and ASMU before-- i can't wait to hear about your trip :) I love going in sept!! its the best!!

Congrats on your upcoming trip!! We stayed overnight at POP once, and let me tell you, that tie dye cheesecake (aka breakfast) was the greatest thing EVERRRR!!! I made DH drive there one trip that we had a rental car just so I could get some!!!:rotfl::rotfl: I hope you have an amazing time! Can't wait to hear more about your plans, ADRs and all. Happy Planning!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes

Joining in! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Small world...I grew up babysitting for a Karen and David...who had a daughter named Emily. She's in college now but still a funny coincidence :goodvibes

Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

i am joining in your PTR!!:) I am also going in sept-- and still praying for free dinning!!! It better come out soon:) We are also staying at CSR this year-- but this will be our first mod resort we have stayed at POP and ASMU before-- i can't wait to hear about your trip :) I love going in sept!! its the best!!

Thanks so much for joining in. Let's hope we don't have to wait much longer for that free dining announcement! I agree - going in September is the BEST!

Congrats on your upcoming trip!! We stayed overnight at POP once, and let me tell you, that tie dye cheesecake (aka breakfast) was the greatest thing EVERRRR!!! I made DH drive there one trip that we had a rental car just so I could get some!!!:rotfl::rotfl: I hope you have an amazing time! Can't wait to hear more about your plans, ADRs and all. Happy Planning!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes

Oh, yes. We had to stay at Pop again for the cheesecake or we would have had a complaining 9 yr old the entire trip. It's her favorite dessert at Disney!! (and I rather like it myself! :goodvibes)

Thanks for joining in. Hoping to get some info up tonight about ADRs!

Joining in! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Small world...I grew up babysitting for a Karen and David...who had a daughter named Emily. She's in college now but still a funny coincidence :goodvibes

Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Wow - that is such a coincidence!! I'm hoping to get some more info up tonight. Thanks for joining in!! :cool2:

This will be our 3rd family trip to Disney but we've never done a dinner show before. Have any of you? We're looking at Hoop De Doo and Spirit of Aloha. Anyone have anything to share on either of those? 9 year old daughter - is she too old to enjoy Hoop De Doo?

Thanks for any info/experience with either of these shows!!

This will be our 3rd family trip to Disney but we've never done a dinner show before. Have any of you? We're looking at Hoop De Doo and Spirit of Aloha. Anyone have anything to share on either of those? 9 year old daughter - is she too old to enjoy Hoop De Doo?

Thanks for any info/experience with either of these shows!!

LOVE IT !!! It is a MUST for my family everytime we go. The food is good as is the entertainment. You have to plan well for the day since it takes awhile to get there but I really think it is worth it!

LOVE IT !!! It is a MUST for my family everytime we go. The food is good as is the entertainment. You have to plan well for the day since it takes awhile to get there but I really think it is worth it!

But ... I will tell you that we did not love Spirit of Aloha. We tried it last Sept and found it to be really cheesy. The food was good but it was a very long show and the only good entertainment was the fire dancer at the end. I would take the Hoop over the Aloha show any day.

i have never done a dinner show before but i have heard that hoop de doo is a lot of fun!!! I am curious what other people say on the dinner shows also:)

Where, oh where, to eat while at Disney??? So many wonderful choices but only a week's worth of meals to try and fit them all in.

Our first trip in 2008, we knew nothing. :confused3 Lucked into dinner reservations at CRT and had 2 other reservations, Breakfast w/ Princesses @ Akershus and Disney's Play n' Dine. I did much better for our 2009 trip after becoming addicted to all things Disney and reading the boards, looking at menus, checking out restaurant reviews, etc.

So, we have a few "must do" meals:

CRT (breakfast - we did it last year and Em liked it much more than dinner. Of course, signing the check to "pay" at the end of dinner our first year is still one of her fav memories! She thought that was so cool! :cool1:)

Crystal Palace (breakfast - did this for the first time last year and we all loved it! So many great choices and of course, Pooh and friends!)

La Cellier (lunch or dinner - we all had a great meal here last year. Em loved the fact she could get a steak instead of the typical kid's meal. She's not too fond of a lot of Disney's kid's meal choices. We end up sharing my meal and her kid's meal between the two of us most of time. She's a big kid with a good appetite and sometimes the kid's meal just doesn't cut it! Anyone else run into that problem with their kids? She's right at the cut off age for child prices so next year I guess we won't have to deal with it)

Now, for something new - for our family anyway. :) I've heard good things about Chef Mickey's. Would love to hear about your experience there - good or bad! I also need suggestions for lunch at Animal Kingdom.

Anyone have any favorites they always go back to? We've always eaten in the parks or at the resort where we were staying to try and maximize our park time. Maybe it's time for us to branch out! Your suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

Thanks everyone!

we also love Le Cellier and Crystal palace breakfast! We love the breakfast it has become a tradition for you:) I have also heard good things about yak and yeti in Animal kingdom-- we are going to try this for the first time this year. Also have you ever been to Kona or Ohana? Both are very delicious and on the monorail at the poly! I have never trie chef mickeys-- but have heard good things about it also:) I love picking places to eat its also a challenge!! So maybe declicious places to choose from:)

We're trying Chef Mickey's on this trip...planning to do dinner there since we aren't big breakfast eaters.

Have you done 'Ohana and Boma? 'Ohana is a lot of fun and delicious! Boma is my favorite buffet...plus you get to walk around the AKL to see the animals. We're going back to both of them this trip.

We're trying Chef Mickey's on this trip...planning to do dinner there since we aren't big breakfast eaters.

Have you done 'Ohana and Boma? 'Ohana is a lot of fun and delicious! Boma is my favorite buffet...plus you get to walk around the AKL to see the animals. We're going back to both of them this trip.

No, sure haven't. I'd love to try one of those, if I can get the family to agree! I think it would be so cool to walk around and see the animals, like you said. Thanks for the suggestion!

So, the ever important dining decisions have been made and we've got our ADRs for our September trip! Check them out below and let me know what you thinks. Any comments or recommendations for a particular appetizer, entree, dessert are welcome.

Friday, Sept 24
Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show @ 5:15 pm (We went back and forth with this one, should we do this or Hoop De Doo? Based on a co-worker's recent experience, we went with Aloha. I hope we're not disappointed.)

Saturday, Sept 25

Crystal Palace @ 8:05 am (A favorite from last year - bonus getting into MK before opening!)

Sunday, Sept 26
Chef Mickey's @ 7:25 am (Yikes - I hope we can make it there that early and still get to MK before/at opening. Never been so really looking forward to this one!)
Liberty Tree Tavern @ 12:30 pm (Never been here either but lots of good reviews so hoping we enjoy it.)

Monday, Sept 27
50's Primetime @ 12:15 pm (Ate here last year and really liked the fried chicken)

Tuesday, Sept 28
Yak & Yeti @ 12:00 pm (I think we ate here on our first trip in 2007 - just walked in.)

Wednesday, Sept 29
La Cellier @ 6:05 pm (Had lunch here last year - one of the best meals we had!)

Thursday, Sept 30
Sci Fi Dine In Theater @ 12:30 pm (A favorite of Emily's from last year - our server brought her a whole plate of maraschino cherries.)

Friday, Oct 1
Cinderella's Royal Table @ 8:05 am (3rd year to eat here, 2nd for breakfast - so excited to end our trip here again!)

Again, any menu suggestions for our choices are welcome!

Just chimming it. We are going to be there the exact same dates. We already have FD. We also stayed at POP and my girls love it. We do spend sometime at the resort but just for the pool ect. Your adr's look great. We use to be a moderate family. But pop last year suited are needs.

We may do moderate if I can come up with some extra funds. But dh said why don't we just go for longer. So right now are dates are 9/25 to 10/2. But thinking of adding the 9/24 since airtran changed are flights.

Thought I'd come over and join your PTR. We're going at the end of Sept too. Chef Mickey's is FABULOUS!!! You're going to love it. :thumbsup2

Just chimming it. We are going to be there the exact same dates. We already have FD. We also stayed at POP and my girls love it. We do spend sometime at the resort but just for the pool ect. Your adr's look great. We use to be a moderate family. But pop last year suited are needs.

We may do moderate if I can come up with some extra funds. But dh said why don't we just go for longer. So right now are dates are 9/25 to 10/2. But thinking of adding the 9/24 since airtran changed are flights.

Free dining - good for you!! Are you a "bounceback"? I'd vote for an extra day of fun over the mod resort as well. :thumbsup2

I thought Pop was great. Loved walking around one afternoon and looking at all of the decorations and stuff before we headed out to MNSSHP. Do yall do MNSSHP? One of our favorite things about going to Disney in the fall. And I was impressed with the food court - thought it had a lot of good choices and it was easy to find a place to sit no matter what time we were there.

Let's hope for great weather for our trip!! I think you picked excellent dates to go! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter