Free Upgrades from Pop to SSR/OKW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammie

DIS Veteran
Some have posted on the Resorts forum that Disney has emailed them and offered them a one bedroom villa for the same price as their room at the Pop Century.

Just wondering if this has been done before? Is this an indication that DVC sales are down? Trying to prmote the product? Bookings up at Pop?

Does Disney Resort Operations cover the difference in cost of the move or does DVC pick that up?

Just curious what others thought of the offers?

If this is true I feel it is safe to say DVC has pushed the panic button on SSR, and is doing anything they can to obtain some cash flow for the project.

Sounds like something that DVC marketing may be doing. I wonder what criteria they are using to extend the offer---maybe several repeat visits within a period of time, a certain family size, or something. It could be severe overbooking at POP, but I would think if that were the sole reason, they would be upgraded to a moderate rather than DVC.

I don't think there is any "panic button" simply another form of marketing. Perhaps folks that stay in value resorts have a low ratio of taking DVC tours as opposed to moderate and deluxe resorts.

If true it could be PURE marketing, other timeshares offer FREE nights as long as you take a tour.

Would not look at it as panic though, the OP did mention OKW(long sold out).

First I've heard of a promotion like this - don't recall anyone ever being upgraded from a value to a DVC resort.

Don't know who is picking up the cost, but it can't be DVC - that would be illegal. It is possible that the Developer is paying for this (from the Advertising/Promotion budget), but that has nothing to do with DVC members.

I would think it is more likely that there is a problem at POP - maybe it is overbooked, they are doing some major rehab or maybe a large group wants the rooms for a specific time frame. JMHO. YMMV.

Best wishes -

But why would they get a one bedroom instead of a studio if they were overbooked? Wow! Not just a DVC resort but a one bedroom.

If this is true, then every DVC member should get a room upgrade for free.

Sherri said:
But why would they get a one bedroom instead of a studio if they were overbooked? Wow! Not just a DVC resort but a one bedroom.

That's exactly my thought. I saw a thread posted on the resorts forum where a woman got this upgrade to a 1 bedroom. I can see her getting upgraded to a moderate due to over booking at POP, but a 1 bedroom DVC sounds nuts :crazy:

The whole thing seems a little crazy. If it were due to the fact that the hotel was overbooked, the next logical upgrade would be a moderate resort.
How did she get so lucky as to get a one bedroom? It has to have something to do with marketing I bet and not being oversold.

sajetto said:
That's exactly my thought. I saw a thread posted on the resorts forum where a woman got this upgrade to a 1 bedroom. I can see her getting upgraded to a moderate due to over booking at POP, but a 1 bedroom DVC sounds nuts :crazy:

If someone is staying midweek at Value and paying $99 gets "upgraded" to a 1bedroom OKW, and then when the guide tells them that they can stay in those exact rooms for 16 points a night and dues for those points add upto about $70...

Well I dont know it that is the plan but it could increase sales

Here's the thing though, it can't be ALL marketing b/c they offered her the choice between staying at OKW or SSR and she picked SSR. If it was marketing they wouldn't have just offered a stay at SSR...this all seems very odd to me :confused3

Maybe it is marketing though. You noticed the only resorts offered were the two that are only DVC and not Disney hotels as well. If it is marketing then they are showing them all about DVC. Could you imagine if they were upgraded to the boardwalk or Beach Club or WIlderness lodge? Then all of those who were staying there on the hotel side would feel that this person was staying in a deluxe hotel at a value price. I think it would become a big issue.

I posted this on another thread, but ...

Disney has been doing this for years. If they have inventory in a Deluxe or DVC resort, they often will offer the free upgrade to selected guests.

We have friends who were upgraded from PO to BC a number of years ago. No additional expense to the guest (and no extra expense for Disney either). As a result, that family has always stayed at Deluxe resorts on all subsequent trips (they used to go about every 3 years when their kids were still at home).

This is a win-win situation. The guest wins with the upgrade and Disney may just get a new DVC member or at least a family who wants to stay at a DVC resort in the future.

Similar upgrades are very rare for DVC members staying on points. DVC can't really do this from the member inventory. It would be up to CRO to offer it to DVC members from the cash inventory (and that's NOT likely to happen). CRO can (and does) offer it from their inventory to guests reserved at other resorts though.

Anewman said:
If someone is staying midweek at Value and paying $99 gets "upgraded" to a 1bedroom OKW, and then when the guide tells them that they can stay in those exact rooms for 16 points a night and dues for those points add upto about $70...

Well I dont know it that is the plan but it could increase sales

Maybe so, but the object of the DVC is to pay in advance for years of discounts. These people might be coming on their only trip to WDWd and they're getting the advantages that we all paid into.

WebmasterDoc said:
Similar upgrades are very rare for DVC members staying on points. DVC can't really do this from the member inventory. It would be up to CRO to offer it to DVC members from the cash inventory (and that's NOT likely to happen). CRO can (and does) offer it from their inventory to guests reserved at other resorts though.

Why can't they? So it's impossible for DVC to overbook on studios, but have a bunch of 1bdr's leftover. Don't you think they would upgrade some people? I think that would be a great thing to do. Especially if I was one of the people with that upgrade

bpmorley said:
Why can't they? So it's possible for DVC to overbook on studios, but have a bunch of 1bdr's leftover. Don't you think they would upgrade some people? I think that would be a great thing to do. Especially if I was one of the people with that upgrade
This makes sense to me, too. And it worked in our case! Actually, we weren't offered an upgrade, but when we showed up at the Beach Club front desk two years ago after spending a very crowded night in a couple of studios at one of the All-Stars, we were given a one-bedroom villa. I hadn't even realized they existed, but once I saw that washer and dryer, I was hooked. And the rest is history....

So if they have empty rooms sitting around, why not try to tempt some more buyers into the DVC world?

It's very starnge because the OP says they are staying at BCV, all 15 of them. So where does it mention they were staying at the Pop? at any time? :surfweb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter