• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Friendliest, most inclusive place you have ever lived

That is so funny everyone is saying how nice people in the Nashville Tennessee area are. I just left after 20 years and couldn’t pass the state line fast enough. Full of the fakest Southern, bless your heart, supposed Christian’s I have ever met. The bigotry and racism is strong there.

I now live in Richmond VA and it is so much more open, accepting and diverse. I am literally happier and lighter than I have been in forever.

When I lived in a little wine making village in Germany for about 5 years. Very friendly people and great wine!

I have the opposite opinion of NOVA. Everyone was "fake nice" to your face but SO competitive about jobs/money. As soon as you admitted to being a stay at home mom, you were looked down upon for not having higher career aspirations and being caught up in the rat race up there. Everyone tries to one up everyone else with their government jobs. 🙄 Not to mention the low key racism everywhere.

Spent the longest 4 years of my life there.
This is how the people in Omaha are, very fake, and so competitive about everything. Who's house is nicer, who's husband makes the most money, who's kids are the best at sports, etc. And they also have the low key racism. The amount of times that I have heard people say, "you are in America, speak English", is disgusting. I hate it so much here. I tell my husband that it is killing my soul. But he was born and raised here and has a good job that he doesn't want to leave. As soon as we retire, I am leaving, with or without him.

Grew up in the Chicago suburbs, although people were really nice, my town in particular was rather - shall we say - monochromatic. Moved to Colorado. People here are just fine, but I do miss the "midwestern" hospitality.
Which town? I grew up in Berwyn but that was the 70s and 80s.

This is how the people in Omaha are, very fake, and so competitive about everything. Who's house is nicer, who's husband makes the most money, who's kids are the best at sports, etc. And they also have the low key racism. The amount of times that I have heard people say, "you are in America, speak English", is disgusting. I hate it so much here. I tell my husband that it is killing my soul. But he was born and raised here and has a good job that he doesn't want to leave. As soon as we retire, I am leaving, with or without him.
I completely understand how you feel. No amount of money or status would get us to go back to NOVA.

Well considering I just saw a travel advert for NE and it said "Nebraska, it's not for everyone" guess that rings true.

Well considering I just saw a travel advert for NE and it said "Nebraska, it's not for everyone" guess that rings true.
They went from having the State motto being "The good life" to " It's not for everyone", does in fact say something. The deal is that people that are born and raised here don't see any issues because they don't know any different. They think this behavior is normal. But as more and more people moved here from other places, more people realized how rude the behavior is. I don't know one person, that has moved here from someplace else, that actually likes it here.

I agree with Tennessee! We lived there for several years after moving from Ohio. I couldn't believe how friendly and helpful people were to us "yankees" lol!
Where we live now is very friendly in upper Minnesota. It's a great place.

As for the comments by the unhappy Tn. resident for 20 years? It could be where you lived. I think the bigger cities are like big cities everywhere and not as nice as the rural areas. We lived 60 miles West of Tennessee in a very small town and moved to another small town close by. You get to know people easier and I have wonderful friends from there to this day. I guess you can get that attitude in a lot of places. Sorry that she experienced that in Tn.

Last edited:
I agree with Tennessee! We lived there for several years after moving from Ohio. I couldn't believe how friendly and helpful people were to us "yankees" lol!
Where we live now is very friendly in upper Minnesota. It's a great place.

As for the comments by the unhappy Tn. resident for 20 years? It could be where you lived. I think the bigger cities are like big cities everywhere and not as nice as the rural areas. We lived 60 miles West of Tennessee in a very small town and moved to another small town close by. You get to know people easier and I have wonderful friends from there to this day. I guess you can get that attitude in a lot of places. Sorry that she experienced that in Tn.
Really? My DW lived in a small town west TN and the people were nice enough to her face, but so mean about everyone else behind their back that she couldn't trust them. Like Sue, Anne and Barb are chatting and being nice, and the minute Sue leaves, Anne tells Barb that Sue is a drunk and cheating on her husband (without giving any proof). Only, everyone did that, all the time. She was miserable there.

They went from having the State motto being "The good life" to " It's not for everyone", does in fact say something. The deal is that people that are born and raised here don't see any issues because they don't know any different. They think this behavior is normal. But as more and more people moved here from other places, more people realized how rude the behavior is. I don't know one person, that has moved here from someplace else, that actually likes it here.
We’ve only visited Omaha to go to the zoo a few times, and spend our time in Lincoln. Everyone was nice to us. Is it just Omaha?

I’d return just for the runzas, even if they were rude to me.

We’ve only visited Omaha to go to the zoo a few times, and spend our time in Lincoln. Everyone was nice to us. Is it just Omaha?

I’d return just for the runzas, even if they were rude to me.
Yes, people are nice on the surface, but they are the fake nice that as soon as you turn your back, they are saying nasty stuff about you. Visiting is one thing, but living here stinks. I don't live in Lincoln so have no clue about them.

There was a viral post a while back explaining how some people are kind but not nice, while others are nice but not kind.

I live in Tennessee, in a city suburb (but with cow farms around me), and I would say as a whole that people here are nice but not kind. You’ll be greeted with a friendly smile and southern hospitality, but if you fall outside of a narrow segment of identifiers you’ll have a hard time fitting in or getting real help. There is a lot of hostility to out-of-staters, even before the pandemic and people flooding in. A family moved here and went to a school board meeting to request halal school meals for their kids. Not only were they denied, but people here ripped into them and told them to move back to where they came from.

The college town I went to graduate school in Michigan was probably the kindest place I’ve lived. There was a lot of support structure to try to help those who needed it. No, it wasn’t perfect, but it’s still better than anywhere else I’ve lived.

Really? My DW lived in a small town west TN and the people were nice enough to her face, but so mean about everyone else behind their back that she couldn't trust them. Like Sue, Anne and Barb are chatting and being nice, and the minute Sue leaves, Anne tells Barb that Sue is a drunk and cheating on her husband (without giving any proof). Only, everyone did that, all the time. She was miserable there.
That's really bad that you had that happen. But, stuff like that happens everywhere.
We all need to be kinder to each other!

So funny that several have mentioned North Texas as the opposite bc I totally agree. I live in a northern suburb of Dallas and people are not particularly nice and definitely not kind. And inclusive - ha, not a chance. So much racism and bigotry as well as judgement for people who are not in the same "class" or financial bracket. I would love to move far away but my son lives in Dallas, my 80 year old mom lives in Fort Worth, and my husband owns a fairly successful small business that thrives on relationships and word of mouth. I have a few great friends who I consider my unicorns in a field of ********* :) and hope to be able to retire somewhere more open minded, inclusive, and with cooler temperatures!

I can relate -- the area I live in sounds just like that.

Eh, I don't mind this part of Texas too much but I do mostly keep to myself. Austin and Houston are definitely better but I have good friends and life is really pretty easy for the most part.

The best was Amsterdam. The Dutch put up with just about anything or at least did some years back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter