Fuji S5200?

Greg K.

Happy DVC Member, DIS Vet, and Catholic Deacon
Any thoughts about this gizmo? On paper, it seems to have everything I'm looking for -- especially the ability to shoot in low light, and to battle blur.

I now have the Canon A95, which I love, but I'm continually frustrated by the blur that often results from shooting in natural light.

FWIW: I've also been pondering the S5200's smaller cousin, the F10, but I'm thinking, for just another 40-50 bucks, I can get a lot more bang out of the S5200.

Thoughts?? :confused3

The 5200 is not bad at all, but at high ISO the picture becomes very soft due to heavy noise reduction.

BTW, why do you get blurry pics from using the A95? I have that camera and unless your hand is very shaky, you should not be getting blurry picture. The 5200 will not solve that problem by much. The "anti blurring" is actually a technical gimmick. Once you choose the "anti blurring" mode, whatever ISO the camera is supposed to use, will be increased so the camera will double the shutter speed. The drawback is that due to higher ISO, you will get picture with higher noise too (or in the case of this camera, softer looking pic due excessive noise reduction).

Try this with your A95. Go to the P mode and set ISO to 200 and see whether you still see shakiness.

Now this only works with NON-FLASH photography because on ANY camera (at that price range, plus minus $400) the flash sync is at 1/60 sec. So if you get the blurriness on the A95 when you're using flash, then you will get the same problem using any camera.

Kelly Grannell said:
The 5200 is not bad at all, but at high ISO the picture becomes very soft due to heavy noise reduction.

BTW, why do you get blurry pics from using the A95? I have that camera and unless your hand is very shaky, you should not be getting blurry picture. The 5200 will not solve that problem by much. The "anti blurring" is actually a technical gimmick. Once you choose the "anti blurring" mode, whatever ISO the camera is supposed to use, will be increased so the camera will double the shutter speed. The drawback is that due to higher ISO, you will get picture with higher noise too (or in the case of this camera, softer looking pic due excessive noise reduction).

Try this with your A95. Go to the P mode and set ISO to 200 and see whether you still see shakiness.

Now this only works with NON-FLASH photography because on ANY camera (at that price range, plus minus $400) the flash sync is at 1/60 sec. So if you get the blurriness on the A95 when you're using flash, then you will get the same problem using any camera.

Thanks for the advice! I've never had problem with blur using the flash -- just indoors, without. It's minor, but it is noticeable. But I'll try and goose the ISO up to 200 and see what happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter