Future runDisney Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure you need an address in your account and if someone wants to make one up just to get in, then that seems risky. Also, don’t you need billing info for payment?

But I doubt it would actually happen.

Yes, you do need an address in your account, but that doesn't mean anything. Lots of people who live overseas have US mailing and/or billing addresses. Basing restrictions on an ID would face similar problems. A US ID does not mean someone lives in the US, and a foreign ID does not mean someone lives overseas.

Just wondering if rapid testing before the races (at the resorts for example) would be an option for non-vaccinated runners. There are "field lab" tests being carried out at this moment in the Netherlands where people attending some events like concerts and open-air festivals go for a rapid covid-test and upon receiving the "all-clear" are allowed to participate. This seems to work quite well.

I apologize if this comes off as harsh, but can’t RunDisney host races without international runners? If they need to or want to restrict registration, I think they’d still do fine. :confused3

Is it possible? Maybe. I can think of a few ways they can do it, including ones that haven't been mentioned here (although almost all methods have loopholes). But I'm guessing that they get a nice chunk of money from their international runners and would rather wait until international vaccination rates are up to restart the races.

I will be fully vaccinated (waiting on the 2nd dose) by the end of the month. It’s really looking promising that we should be drowning in vaccine by the beginning of May. I have no problem with Disney requiring either proof of vaccination, or a signed waiver to participate and I’m still hoping for Wine & Dine this fall to kick off the start of the 50th anniversary. I would like to think that runDisney is getting all the logistics in order now. Fall 2021 seems to be when a lot of things are resuming (St. Anthony’s, the Philadelphia Marathon, and the Broad Street Run for example).

See I think the 50th is one reason I don't think W&D is happening. Disney already pushed rat opening to Oct 1st and I wouldn't be surprised if Oct 1 becomes the target for more disney normal. Meet and greets, fireworks, etc. Then if Oct 1 they kick off both the 50th plus "return to normal" are they going to want/need to bring in a bunch of runners in November even if they could (and I think they could). I think they will be so busy that it is considered best to wait until January.

on the vaccination thing, not saying they will or won't, but peachtree road race in atlanta which runs in July opens registration tomorrow and is stating either a recent negative test or proof of vaccination will be required to participate. Nothing on how they are going to enforce it but my guess would be bib pickup.

How would they do that? Require a notarized copy of your home address as part of entry or registration? It’s one thing for them to restrict shipping of virtual medals to the US. I don’t see how you’d do something similar with entries.

Easy. Online registration, where they have the address, have the input fields for US addresses only (i.e., have to select a US state as a required field, no country field, etc.) Then when you go to the expo with your id have the volunteer check the name and address like they already do. Make it be known no bib will be given if the addresses don't match, and you'll deter a lot of those who may be willing to try anyway. There will always be loop holes, but it'll make a big dent.

Honestly, though, other countries have such strict rules around returning from travel, I think international travelers will have a difficult time even without disney restrictions.

Easy. Online registration, where they have the address, have the input fields for US addresses only (i.e., have to select a US state as a required field, no country field, etc.) Then when you go to the expo with your id have the volunteer check the name and address like they already do. Make it be known no bib will be given if the addresses don't match, and you'll deter a lot of those who may be willing to try anyway. There will always be loop holes, but it'll make a big dent.

Honestly, though, other countries have such strict rules around returning from travel, I think international travelers will have a difficult time even without disney restrictions.

Like mentioned earlier, many people who live overseas have US mailing addresses. Using that as the basis for a restriction would not be effective. The self selection and opting out due to quarantine restrictions after returning from a trip to Disney is a much more likely scenario. The number of new cases in many places took a steep decline once the UK put in place their latest requirements and their citizens returned home before they took effect.

See I think the 50th is one reason I don't think W&D is happening. Disney already pushed rat opening to Oct 1st and I wouldn't be surprised if Oct 1 becomes the target for more disney normal. Meet and greets, fireworks, etc. Then if Oct 1 they kick off both the 50th plus "return to normal" are they going to want/need to bring in a bunch of runners in November even if they could (and I think they could). I think they will be so busy that it is considered best to wait until January.

on the vaccination thing, not saying they will or won't, but peachtree road race in atlanta which runs in July opens registration tomorrow and is stating either a recent negative test or proof of vaccination will be required to participate. Nothing on how they are going to enforce it but my guess would be bib pickup.
You're making my point for actually having the Wine and Dine - it would be part of "return to normal" and, since it's a 'smaller" event than Marathon Week, it gives them a chance to begin to get all their processes ironed out after having been on hiatus for over a year (also, to test implementation of new processes). It's much easier to do that with 10,000-12,000 people, than it is for 27,000+ people.

You're making my point for actually having the Wine and Dine - it would be part of "return to normal" and, since it's a 'smaller" event than Marathon Week, it gives them a chance to begin to get all their processes ironed out after having been on hiatus for over a year (also, to test implementation of new processes). It's much easier to do that with 10,000-12,000 people, than it is for 27,000+ people.

The normal idea of rundisney races is to bring more people to the park. I don't think that is going to be neeed or wanted in november if return to normal for the parks is oct 1. if they announce oct 1 is when firewalls, M&G are coming back along with rat they are going to be booked easily through mid-nov, then you but thanksgiving, christmas. There will just be no need for an "Event" at that time because they will have all the people they can handle without it.

I’m with you all. With Peachtree and Boston going forward as planned, I’m hopefully optimistic that WDW Marathon 2022 is happening - and possibly W&D

I’m with you all. With Peachtree and Boston going forward as planned, I’m hopefully optimistic that WDW Marathon 2022 is happening - and possibly W&D

Going forward as planned i'st quite right.

Both are doing smaller fields them normal. PTRR is spreading the smaller field out over 2 days and spreading start waves out.

They are both taking place but neither is really "normal" or "as planned" yet.

I am hopefully though rundisney can restart in 2022 and be mostly the normal rundisney we expect.

While I truly hope that things can go back to normal, I really don't see a way that they can ever safely be done the same way that they were done in the past.

While I truly hope that things can go back to normal, I really don't see a way that they can ever safely be done the same way that they were done in the past.
I respectfully disagree - this will pass, it may not be as soon as we all wanted, but this will pass. It is been getting better slowly now for a few months and the vaccines have only improved things as far as I can tell. Will this be completely killed off - I don't know, but I think it will come to a point that the vaccines will improve and any variants will be minimized. It may not be eliminated permanently, but neither is the flu and we didn't run in masks before - so I think we are well on the road to normalcy - at least that's my hope.

I respectfully disagree - this will pass, it may not be as soon as we all wanted, but this will pass. It is been getting better slowly now for a few months and the vaccines have only improved things as far as I can tell. Will this be completely killed off - I don't know, but I think it will come to a point that the vaccines will improve and any variants will be minimized. It may not be eliminated permanently, but neither is the flu and we didn't run in masks before - so I think we are well on the road to normalcy - at least that's my hope.
I really hope you are right!

Totally agree. The big concern was the South African variant that was resident to som current vaccines but that one dosn't seem to be spreading. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Totally agree. The big concern was the South African variant that was resident to som current vaccines but that one dosn't seem to be spreading. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Once we get things relatively under control with the initial vaccinations and can reduce the overall infection load to a manageable level, the variants will become less of a threat, too. First, the smaller the overall number of cases, the fewer opportunities the virus will have to mutate, slowing the emergence of novel variants. Second, the mRNA technology used for the major vaccines is comparatively easy to modify, allowing faster responses to emerging variants without having to start at square one of development. There is already some discussion of the potential for booster shots to address variants and we may well evolve into a situation analogous to the flu with periodic updates to fight the predominant strains forecast for a period of time.

I agree that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the key is going to be avoiding relaxing our guard before we get to the end. It’s a race between mutation rate and vaccination right now and the lower we drive the overall infection rate the faster vaccination can win.

First, the smaller the overall number of cases, the fewer opportunities the virus will have to mutate,

Not to get off topic but we have some issues overall on that front. The USA so far is doing mostly good on vaccines but there are a lot of countries that are not (poor to medium income countries) that could give group for mutations to develop and is something that is going to have to be addressed. Mutations and the like are a world-wide issue.

Things are getting better and hopeffully after countries like USA, UK, etc. are taken care of we'll start diverting some vaccines to other places to avoid mutations coming out 6-9-18 months down the line and causing issues.

The way I see it is that a lot of large events have already said they’re going forward this fall. Most of the US should be vaccinated/have access to the vaccine by the fall. There may be a lot of hand-wringing about it, but some form of electronic vaccination documentation for international travel will be available/required, and available for “reading” by organizations that want “proof” of vaccination. I can still see Disney needing to do some kind of full dress rehearsal before Marathon Weekend, especially if they put new processes in place, like proof of vaccination (or vaccination waivers). Wine and Dine is the perfect venue to trial all of that. It’s not so much about bringing bodies into the parks during the quiet season, it’s about making sure everything works. Having the event tied to the 50th is an added bonus of “returning to normal”.

I hope there's never a "return to normal." I hope lessons we've learned from this will carry forward - simple things like washing our hands before using them to eat, staying home - and being paid to do so by employers - when we're sick, wearing masks when we have to go out but might be ill, reducing unnecessary contact such as with handing runners water cups/nutrition, etc. I see no reason at all why we can't return to racing, but also implement some basic public health strategies to reduce transmission of any viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter