Future runDisney Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course there will be a “new normal”, and an increased awareness and practice of good hygiene will be part of it. I hope we don’t go to too much of an extreme though. I’m not a health care professional or biologist, but my understanding is that the human immune system “learns” from exposure to different things in the environment and mounts defenses against pathogens it sees that we aren’t even aware of. For example, before the pandemic, many health care professionals were discouraging casual use of hand sanitizer or “antibacterial” soaps.

Of course there will be a “new normal”, and an increased awareness and practice of good hygiene will be part of it. I hope we don’t go to too much of an extreme though. I’m not a health care professional or biologist, but my understanding is that the human immune system “learns” from exposure to different things in the environment and mounts defenses against pathogens it sees that we aren’t even aware of. For example, before the pandemic, many health care professionals were discouraging casual use of hand sanitizer or “antibacterial” soaps.

The anymost any race would be a good thing,. Let's be honest from portapotties to people spitting (and worse)during races, close quarters, sweating... most races are far from anything that is sanitary environments. Lol

Anyone else surprised that they still have not announced the summer virtual series for 2021?

Kinda but makes me think they may want to make one big announcement with a longer term calendar;... or maybe that is just because it's what I want to see. But I think a big announcement that at least covers virtual serial, W&D, and MW would be very nice.

Anyone else surprised that they still have not announced the summer virtual series for 2021?
Maybe I'm too cynical, but after a significant reduction of slots for last year's summer series presumably because of the pandemic, I'm wondering if they will actually offer the summer series this year.
I feel like an rD announcement is coming soon, either laying out general plans for future races, or a "Hi, we're still here, but nothing to share yet!" message.
I think this is most likely as well.

So one of our local fall races is going to be in person. I believe they announced reduced capacity and various rules to limit crowding on the course.
One of the things I found most interesting was what they are calling a “relaxed start”. Instead of thousands lining up waiting for the gun to go off, they have a 3 hour starting “window” in which you start when you are ready. The idea to limit that close contact at the start.
I could see this at Disney, the biggest detraction being faster runners having to navigate around slower to a much greater extent than now.
Personally, I always hated arriving by bus at 0400 only to sit around until 0615 (I’m slow so usually in E) until I can begin. I’d much rather get there early, warm up and stretch, then get on my way.....

So one of our local fall races is going to be in person. I believe they announced reduced capacity and various rules to limit crowding on the course.
One of the things I found most interesting was what they are calling a “relaxed start”. Instead of thousands lining up waiting for the gun to go off, they have a 3 hour starting “window” in which you start when you are ready. The idea to limit that close contact at the start.
I could see this at Disney, the biggest detraction being faster runners having to navigate around slower to a much greater extent than now.
Personally, I always hated arriving by bus at 0400 only to sit around until 0615 (I’m slow so usually in E) until I can begin. I’d much rather get there early, warm up and stretch, then get on my way.....

I'm intrigued by the relaxed start, but I have to wonder if Disney would do this. They HAVE to cut off the field to clear the course and open the parks on time, so if someone slower were to start later the possibility of being swept is much much higher. But at the same time, as someone slower who is willing to get up earlier, I could start first thing and have tons of time to stop for everything I wanted!

I can’t see how this would work well at Disney. Take Marathon Weekend, for example. The courses use roads which the buses also use to get people to and from their resorts and the race. The roads need to be fully closed for a period of time, a tough ask when people now have three more hours to use getting to the start line.

Yeah, I agree that relaxed starts would be hard with navigating road closures. It’s an interesting idea for other races though.

I know it’s different if people are literally on top of each other, but I still can’t help but think about the outdoor aspect, and that transmission is much less likely outdoors than when you’re in the same indoor space as someone for a few hours. Maybe rather than a “relaxed start” they could modify things in a way where you’re not required to be in your corral so early. Have only a couple corrals staged at a time, with more space, rather than everyone going to the corrals at the same time, an hour before even the first group goes off. For the marathon or half for example, people could hang out back in the welcome area a bit longer before walking out to the start and sitting in the corral for so long.

You KNOW a relaxed start at WDW would mean 20,000+ people all starting at the earliest possible time, lol! Fast people to get ahead of the slow people, slow people to have extra time to finish, and photo stop people to have ample time for photo stops. Can you even imagine Cone Alley?!

The atlanta track club has been doing a lot of race with much larger start times, more corrals and smaller corrals and it works... on a closed course.

Disney is a problem just because they have very tight timelines for when roads, etc. HAVE to be open. So the ending time is a hard stop. So their options to do anything like that would be a) start earlier or b) reduce field size to say half and half the size of corrals. Not sure either is really workable.

Well, there is a third option actually.. move the race to ESPN and have it run all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter