Gabby Petito

That's not the outcome I was hoping for :(

Any new updates on how he may have died, if there is any new information on Gabby?

Of course he did.
The parents lawyer said they hope these findings bring closure to both families. I hope that means there are answers about what he did to Gabby and why in that notebook. If there aren’t then that lawyer should have kept his mouth shut

*Sigh* well at least it's out there. I'm glad they could discern enough from the notebook. Morbid or not I'm not sure but I wish I knew what his confession actually stated. There's a lot still unanswered and maybe that stuff isn't in the notebook but maybe what was the reasoning, what caused him to snap. I know so many times that's the question "why", why did they kill so and so.

I also saw in the article the PP posted that the independent investigation advised "two police officers who pulled over Petito's van in Moab, Utah, on August 12 should be placed on probation for "several unintentional mistakes" during the traffic stop." I remember people talking about the actions of the police officers. I think it's really important to note the unintentional aspect, it would be good if this was a case study for subsequent training and retraining if this police department deems that appropriate (I personally do).

Morbid or not I'm not sure but I wish I knew what his confession actually stated. There's a lot still unanswered and maybe that stuff isn't in the notebook but maybe what was the reasoning, what caused him to snap. I know so many times that's the question "why", why did they kill so and so.
To me that's just normal curiosity about the details of a sequence of events which dominated the news for weeks.

I wouldn't call it morbid. I'm sure we would all like to know "why." This is a very sad case that ended badly for everyone.

However, that is information that I would be amazed (and disappointed) if the FBI released. They actually may or may not tell either family any more than they have made public.

I hope there is some clear resolution of the "why" question for Gabby's family, but the Bureau is very unlikely to release any more than they have.

Look... Brian did it.

But, what a brilliant way to cover up a murder. Kill the woman, when the man goes missing, kill him too (or kidnap him and then kill him), and then forge a note in his notebook confessing. Classic mystery novel.

Sadly, the "why" in many domestic violence situations is the victim is seen as a disobedient possession by the abuser, not a person with agency so they feel justified. They give no more respect to their victims feelings than normal people do to the location of their wallet, the victim is no more than a thing the abuser wants to be obedient and expected to be close at hand. Any threat to their control over their perceived possession is seen as theft, this is why abusers hurt those who try to help their victim and feel completely justified. It's a deeply disturbed way to see other human beings and it shows through in lots of ways if you know what you are looking at, unfortunately this is often a 'takes one to know one' sort of thing ... monsters :(

Sadly, the "why" in many domestic violence situations is the victim is seen as a disobedient possession by the abuser, not a person with agency so they feel justified.
Honestly I was more going for like what in that exact moment kind of thing, like what made him snap. Was there an argument, was it nothing at all and it was just a cold calculated thing, was she wanting to leave him, did he threaten to leave her and decide no if I can't have her then no one can, was it just a blind split second thing, etc. Whenever I see or hear about stories like this I'm just curious as to what happened not necessarily generalized stuff but like the actual decision. To take someone's life is extremely serious so I guess I wonder the whys behind someone actually doing it. So even if he was someone who abused her that, to me at least, doesn't answer the why he decided in that moment to be responsible for her death. Not all abusers kill, not all abusers even physically touch their victims in a harmful way.

**I feel like I need to preface this, this is just me wondering out loud on a thread about it.

Honestly I was more going for like what in that exact moment kind of thing, like what made him snap. Was there an argument, was it nothing at all and it was just a cold calculated thing, was she wanting to leave him, did he threaten to leave her and decide no if I can't have her then no one can, was it just a blind split second thing, etc. Whenever I see or hear about stories like this I'm just curious as to what happened not necessarily generalized stuff but like the actual decision. To take someone's life is extremely serious so I guess I wonder the whys behind someone actually doing it. So even if he was someone who abused her that, to me at least, doesn't answer the why he decided in that moment to be responsible for her death. Not all abusers kill, not all abusers even physically touch their victims in a harmful way.

**I feel like I need to preface this, this is just me wondering out loud on a thread about it.
There is a turning point, a hard break and this is usually when there is a snap, for the especially dense it happens when they get divorce papers, arrested, a POA. It's that moment a couple realizes breakup is imminent, the moment a parent realizes their child will no longer tolerate them, the moment a friendship stops, that blip in an endless sea of communication. We've all experienced this break where no-one on the outside can recognize it but those on the inside see it and the abusive person needs to either step back or lash out, some just can't get a grip so it's very dangerous. THIS is why domestic violence shelters are hidden hoping that time will calm things a bit, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

There is a turning point, a hard break and this is usually when there is a snap, for the especially dense it happens when they get divorce papers, arrested, a POA. It's that moment a couple realizes breakup is imminent, the moment a parent realizes their child will no longer tolerate them, the moment a friendship stops, that blip in an endless sea of communication. We've all experienced this break where no-one on the outside can recognize it but those on the inside see it and the abusive person needs to either step back or lash out, some just can't get a grip so it's very dangerous. THIS is why domestic violence shelters are hidden hoping that time will calm things a bit, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
I do understand all that you are talking about, I was really just speaking about Brian in particular not general stuff. Lot of posters spent a lot of time talking about the ins and outs of their relationship without knowing much about it as no one really corroborated domestic issues between the two and we still don't have that even now. Combine that with him leaving at some unknown time, dying at some unknown time but leaving a journal taking responsibility for it I guess considering how much time was spent on this thread discussing all of that I didn't really think it would be so controversial to wonder why he ended up killing her as in what in that moment led him to it, it seemed to be very much a large portion of what was discussed in this now 90 page thread by quite a lot of people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter