Galactic Starcruiser Closing Permanently In September!

This point does make me wonder if a Harry Potter version of this would've done well. Like, imagine if you were a student at Hogwarts and you could dine in the Great Hall, be assigned a house, play Quidditch, etc. Not like that would ever happen now but it's fun to think about. Universal is already dealing with their escape rooms not doing so hot. They've already had to reduce the price of those.
I knew there was something we were going to do when we were at Universal a few weeks ago - darn! We even had a day when the parks closed early due to HS grad night, so we went and saw GotG3 for something to do. (I guess I just proved your point)

This point does make me wonder if a Harry Potter version of this would've done well. Like, imagine if you were a student at Hogwarts and you could dine in the Great Hall, be assigned a house, play Quidditch, etc. Not like that would ever happen now but it's fun to think about. Universal is already dealing with their escape rooms not doing so hot. They've already had to reduce the price of those.

I think it would have been about the same if the price point were the same. Initially it would have been popular, but eventually they would run out of people who could or are willing to pay it.

I knew there was something we were going to do when we were at Universal a few weeks ago - darn! We even had a day when the parks closed early due to HS grad night, so we went and saw GotG3 for something to do. (I guess I just proved your point)
I haven't done the rooms since they're not private (that's a dealbreaker for me IMO. I don't want to do an escape room with strangers) but similar to Starcruiser I've heard that they're awesome according to people that have done them.

I think it would have been about the same if the price point were the same. Initially it would have been popular, but eventually they would run out of people who could or are willing to pay it.
I agree - was just spitballing since I've seen sentiment from people online say that they wouldn't do Starcruiser but they would do a Harry Potter experience that is similar.

At a certain point I’d think that a Westworld style, fully immersive experience might be a bit too much.

Sure hope they can find a suitable, interesting solution to make better use of the space there - hopefully, something Star Wars related! I feel sorry for the folks who gave up a year of their kid's college fund to stay there when it opened!
Don’t feel sorry. It was totally worth it and I’m not even a fan. It’s the future of interactive amusement and I think it was just too soon for folks to realize the costs involved in creating a truly immersive experience. It was a marvel. I applaud Disney for not dumbing it down and letting it go tbh.

Sad that Disney execs are so out of touch lately that they greenlighted this at the price point they did. Also if we’re gonna keep it Star Wars related can we please do something original trilogy related for a change. Like…why are they so averse to it. Just stop forcing the issue.
They have to pay Lucas when using the pre Disney IP. That would make it even less affordable unfortunately.

You can't have the staff to guest ratio this kind of experience requires and moderate pricing. Posters thought this would be priced like a moderate resort. REALLY?
I always thought 2 a week. Too many voyages. I wonder if a one night dinner show experience would work. 1 - 1.5 K per couple. You check in early afternoon and check out after breakfast

Timeline was a turn off to some, but probably not as much as posters think. The timeline was a reason some gave with $$$ being their real reason.

Disney abandoned the Princess Rey timeline in favor of Mandalorium or even Andor.

I think marketing could have been better. Private buyouts would have been a natural fit.

I just don’t get it. With all the people on payroll to understand the public. How did they get it so wrong. I would love to stay at the Starwars hotel.
I actually have the money to do it. Just can’t see spending 6 or 7K on a 40 hour experience.
IMHO. It’s not worth that type of money.
Disney is losing their way. They just can’t keep raising there rates and expect people to just keep on paying
GF hotel went from $700 to over 1000 in four years.
you used to buy a ten park day ticket that. Was good for a life time. Now you have 14 days to used it.
People just don’t have that type of money.
Hope this is a wake up call. Disney is a business, they must make money. I understand that. But screwing the park people to pay for other bad (Disney + ) business moves. Must stop

They have to pay Lucas when using the pre Disney IP. That would make it even less affordable unfortunately.

I do not believe that is actually true. Lucas sold all rights. He does however retain a huge amount of Disney stock as part of the deal.

I thought the same regarding lowering the prices to attract more families which makes me believe they do have a plan for the space that would be more profitable then just lowering the price.
I don't know how much they could have lowered the price. My guess is the reason it was priced so high was that it was labor intensive.

I do not believe that is actually true. Lucas sold all rights. He does however retain a huge amount of Disney stock as part of the deal.

Yeah, Disney can do anything they want with any Lucasfilm properties. But obviously there are contractual obligations, which is why the new Indiana Jones movie is going to be distributed by Paramount.

George Lucas still owns Skywalker Ranch and Big Rock Ranch in Marin County, but leases out many of the facilities (like Skywalker Sound) to Lucasfilm. But yeah, all the IP was sold.

Last edited:
I really wonder how much labor actually was. Two days of actors $4000 a? Divided by 100 rooms. $40 a room Food cost ?

Yeah, Disney can do anything they want with any Lucasfilm properties. But obviously there are contractual obligations, which is why the new Indiana Jones movie is going to be distributed by Parsmiunt.

George Lucas still owns Skywalker Ranch and Big Rock Ranch in Marin County, but leases out many of the facilities (like Skywalker Sound) to Lucasfilm. But yeah, all the IP was sold.

Yeah, Paramount still has distribution rights on Indy, just like Fox had it on the previous Star Wars content until the buy-out. Disney just needs to buy Paramount. 🤣

Still, they do not have to pay George to use OT content. The reason they don't focus on it is becuase it is over 40 years old and they are creating new stuff, which is what they want to promote. It's a shocking concept I know.

Yeah, Paramount still has distribution rights on Indy, just like Fox had it on the previous Star Wars content until the buy-out. Disney just needs to buy Paramount. 🤣

Still, they do not have to pay George to use OT content. The reason they don't focus on it is becuase it is over 40 years old and they are creating new stuff, which is what they want to promote. It's a shocking concept I know.

Fox didn’t have long term distribution rights. That became really controversial when Disney started distributing the 6 movie collection but only Episode IV started off with the Fox fanfare.

Fox didn’t have long term distribution rights. That became really controversial when Disney started distributing the 6 movie collection but only Episode IV started off with the Fox fanfare.

Oh, that's right. I think Fox held more rights on A New Hope than the others, probably because the first one was a studio movie, but all subsequent ones were made by Lucas himself - you know, once he became a billionnaire and all. 😁 They did still have distribution rights though in some form. Anyway, it's all moot now since 20th Century is at Disney.

Don’t feel sorry. It was totally worth it and I’m not even a fan. It’s the future of interactive amusement and I think it was just too soon for folks to realize the costs involved in creating a truly immersive experience. It was a marvel. I applaud Disney for not dumbing it down and letting it go tbh.
realize the cost? i will never, ever, pay what disney was asking for this.

This is decretory spending, the average american disney guest doesnt have that much or would be willing to ever spend what they were asking for.

this was just a flat out failure on disney's part.l

I really wonder how much labor actually was. Two days of actors $4000 a? Divided by 100 rooms. $40 a room Food cost ?

Disney has a required profit margin for basically everything. Even if something is profitable they will not keep it....food....merch....experiences.. if the profits aren't substantial. They would literally let a space remain vacant if it didn't meet the threshold.

I would be surprised if this experience wasn't profitable with costs that weren't too high.

Oh, that's right. I think Fox held more rights on A New Hope than the others, probably because the first one was a studio movie, but all subsequent ones were made by Lucas himself - you know, once he became a billionnaire and all. 😁 They did still have distribution rights though in some form. Anyway, it's all moot now since 20th Century is at Disney.

Fox financed the original Star Wars. It gave Lucas the merchandising rights. With that money, Lucasfilm could self finance but stayed with Fox for distribution. Not sure how long that distribution deal lasted.

I think Disney had to license episode IV for those collections.

The audience for this disaster had to be:

1) very wealthy (or just reckless with their money)
2) a Star Wars fan
3) and enjoy LARPing

Looking at society as a whole, that is not many people.

My social media is blowing up with influencers lamenting the closure…well you went for free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter