Galactic Starcruiser - what is next for this space?

I think it could definitely be used as a regular hotel with a great theme. There is no swimming in the galaxy anyway. ;)

Ditto.

Who's to say Tiana's wont be great, &/or even better?
I'm sure people thought changing Indian Village to Critter Country was a bad idea, but i think it turned out ok.

Also curious what the "etc" part refers to. lol
The etc would be the other stupid things Disney has done in their parks recently:
- Star Wars hotel that failed
- Aging rides and equipment that keeps getting neglected
- Less than stellar Epcot renovations
- Bad attempts at a fast pass replacement systems resulting in people having to be on their phones constantly instead of enjoying the parks
- etc.

Nothing. Spending insane amounts of money to re-theme the most popular ride in any theme park in the world, is pretty stupid imho.
Hardly the most popular, but i get the drift. lol

Yes, they have a special shuttle (a tricked-out box truck) with docking ports at both the hotel and Galaxy's Edge.

Here's one article about it:

https://blogmickey.com/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser/box-truck-shuttle-transport/
So they can keep the themed building, & have dinner shows and still have themed hotel rooms.. I'm not sure why it seems so far fetched of an idea. I do agree the roleplay thing is just too much for the average person, but there still are enough fans to make the theme work.

If Disney tries to do this it will show that they have not learned the main lesson from their expensive mistake, namely that the public in general do not enjoy dress-up and role-play anywhere near as much as the creative geniuses at Disney thought. For most people wanting "a tour of a ship", the line and waiting area for MFSR will suffice, and except for the most extroverted, the couple of minutes of playing along on ROTR is all the role-play they need.
I can see where the intense role playing could be a turnoff and I didn't mention anything of the content or make suggestions as to the level of role playing/interaction in my post, but you are right that most don't enjoy the intense role playing. I focused on the organizational/scheduling aspect and imagine that the role playing could be toned down and a freestyle schedule introduced where different activities would appeal to different guest. Much like a real cruise. A compressed schedule would leave room for less of the drawn out storyline and more on the activities, also shortened to keep things moving.

The cost of the Starcruiser was the primary downfall, on that we all agree. The sessions should be priced around what current special events/tours are priced at, as that threshold has been established. The duration of the Starcruiser Weekend was somewhat intense as well, since 90% of the time was on the ship. I loved it but could see how some people were going stir-crazy. I feel that most of us didn't have a clear idea of the storyline and how to interact on the first go. On our second, we were able to make the most of it, but for the price, the set up should have been a lot better. Most of my family are introverts and found a niche were they could participate without feeling pressure to socialize a ton too, but again, we are very into Star Wars-- we have a clear bias.

Hardly the most popular, but i get the drift. lol

So they can keep the themed building, & have dinner shows and still have themed hotel rooms.. I'm not sure why it seems so far fetched of an idea. I do agree the roleplay thing is just too much for the average person, but there still are enough fans to make the theme work.
I could see regularly more toned down sessions, while working in some super fan, role playing sessions once a week or whatever cadence the data would suggest.

I keep checking Google Maps every few months to see if its been updated. Google Maps is the only way I'll get to see it. The current overhead view is still when both Galactic Star Cruiser and Galaxys Edge were in construction. I find it fascinating that Galactic Star Cruiser will have been built, opened, and then closed before Google Maps has updated.
Still there and we drive by it every other week or so on a certain route week take through property, just for the sheer torture. I paw at it through the window-- lol. I get how that sounds.

Apparently it's a better financial decision to tear it down and write it off than to continue operating it in a limited capacity. Pretty sure there was a story earlier this year where they considered all alternatives.
This is the likely answer, though my inner child vehemently disagrees <pouting and stamping foot>

We did Cruiser before it closed. I’m not really a Star Wars fan but my mom and son are. I thought that bridge training and lightsaber training were tons of fun. I wish I could have done it again. Also the food was truly spectacular.

Given how much people are willing to spend on mediocre princess meals, the experience of building a lightsaber or droid, or even Genie+/ILLs, I think that Disney absolutely could resurrect some of the big elements of Cruiser in a way that wouldn’t compromise the vision but would bring it to a price point that was more affordable. Perhaps a meal and an activity, or make the activities add-on (paid) in addition to the cost of a meal. I don’t think $250/head would be unreasonable for a half day on the ship. Run two per day (or even 3-4 if you can figure out the timing). Drop some of the more “showy” parts. Knowing my mom we’d probably do it every trip!

I really love the idea of a themed dinner show where you would be picked up in a transport from GE. Price point? Why would it be any more than Hoop-Dee-Doo? If you priced it at double that it would still be a bargain compared to Starcruiser.

I dunno, if it's as cheap and poorly done as frozen, they may riot.
doesnt matter how well its done, most of those people that are still upset about it, are going to "riot" anyways. and of course by riot, i mean moan and complain til the cows come home and talk about....wait, i'll stop, better not get political.

If it’s done incredibly well, no one will complain……I disagree with you on that.

Where it might draw complaints if it looks cheap and the story is not logical. For example a mountain in Louisiana is a pretty comical thought. Being that all of New Orleans is under sea level. The salt mine idea could work, but it is certainly a bit of a stretch.

Over reliance on screens is not nearly as high end looking as good robotic animations imho. So, I hope they don’t do that.

A tropic marsh type environment doesn’t really fit very well in that part of park either, with all the rocky & barren landscapes already in that portion of the park.

It runs the risk of looking like you are shoehorning in a modern Disney IP into a very popular existing ride that was one of the top rides in the park since 1989.

Pixie dusters on here will do what they always do though and completely dismiss logical concerns, and just call everyone bad names instead. Some things will never change around here.

If it’s done incredibly well, no one will complain……I disagree with you on that.

Where it might draw complaints if it looks cheap and the story is not logical. For example a mountain in Louisiana is a pretty comical thought. Being that all of New Orleans is under sea level. The salt mine idea could work, but it is certainly a bit of a stretch.

Over reliance on screens is not nearly as high end looking as good robotic animations imho. So, I hope they don’t do that.

A tropic marsh type environment doesn’t really fit very well in that part of park either, with all the rocky & barren landscapes already in that portion of the park.

It runs the risk of looking like you are shoehorning in a modern Disney IP into a very popular existing ride that was one of the top rides in the park since 1989.

Pixie dusters on here will do what they always do though and completely dismiss logical concerns, and just call everyone bad names instead. Some things will never change around here.

To be fair, Spalsh barely looked like a mountain anyway, so I think now it'll just be a hill int he swamp, which is what it mostly already was.

How many hills have you ever seen in a swamp near New Orleans? No hills, much less mountains. Splash Mountain is 52.5’ tall by the way. If you ever see anything 50+ feet tall in the New Orleans swamps it’s either man made or a massive old growth tree.

How many hills have you ever seen in a swamp near New Orleans? No hills, much less mountains. Splash Mountain is 52.5’ tall by the way. If you ever see anything 50+ feet tall in the New Orleans swamps it’s either man made or a massive old growth tree.

It's fine though. It's not like any of the "mountains" are to scale anyway.

The Galactic Starcruiser is such a failure that people are done talking about it and this thread is a Splash Mountain complaint zone now. That's actually really funny.
It’s not fair to call it the Star Wars hotel. It should be called the ultimate Star Wars experience, because it was.
You're not wrong but you can blame the atrocious marketing Disney released for that. Even to this day, people don't realize that this wasn't a hotel but a LARP experience in the Star Wars universe.

Brian,

Your statement is the entire problem with Disney today. Walt Disney never did “it’s fine though”……he did it’s incredible!….It’s unbelievable!…..he did it’s the most magical thing I have ever seen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter