Galactic Starcruiser - what is next for this space?

Brian,

Your statement is the entire problem with Disney today. Walt Disney never did “it’s fine though”……he did it’s incredible!….It’s unbelievable!…..he did it’s the most magical thing I have ever seen!

Oh, is that why the Matterhorn at Disneyland is actually as tall as the real thing? Oh, wait....

If it’s done incredibly well, no one will complain……I disagree with you on that.

Where it might draw complaints if it looks cheap and the story is not logical. For example a mountain in Louisiana is a pretty comical thought. Being that all of New Orleans is under sea level. The salt mine idea could work, but it is certainly a bit of a stretch.
Somehow I doubt that the geographic accuracy of a 50-ft. hill for the story's setting is actually your primary gripe with the Splash Mountain makeover.

I can see where the intense role playing could be a turnoff and I didn't mention anything of the content or make suggestions as to the level of role playing/interaction in my post, but you are right that most don't enjoy the intense role playing. I focused on the organizational/scheduling aspect and imagine that the role playing could be toned down and a freestyle schedule introduced where different activities would appeal to different guest. Much like a real cruise. A compressed schedule would leave room for less of the drawn out storyline and more on the activities, also shortened to keep things moving.

The cost of the Starcruiser was the primary downfall, on that we all agree. The sessions should be priced around what current special events/tours are priced at, as that threshold has been established. The duration of the Starcruiser Weekend was somewhat intense as well, since 90% of the time was on the ship. I loved it but could see how some people were going stir-crazy. I feel that most of us didn't have a clear idea of the storyline and how to interact on the first go. On our second, we were able to make the most of it, but for the price, the set up should have been a lot better. Most of my family are introverts and found a niche were they could participate without feeling pressure to socialize a ton too, but again, we are very into Star Wars-- we have a clear bias.

Disney did a really poor job of marketing Starcruiser and there were so many descriptions and assumptions about it that weren't really true. I didn't think it wasn't intense role playing at all. I'm an introvert and there's no way I could've done that 😂 . I also did Starcruiser twice and thought the Imagineers did a great job creating a story and experience where people could engage in different ways depending on their interest and personality.

Agree that they could've done more in the set-up... like someone from Starcruiser calls you two weeks before the voyage, but they could give more information besides making sure you downloaded and logged into the app.

We did Cruiser before it closed. I’m not really a Star Wars fan but my mom and son are. I thought that bridge training and lightsaber training were tons of fun. I wish I could have done it again. Also the food was truly spectacular.

I miss the food! I hope they incorporate aspects of it elsewhere. It was really yummy, but also presented in fun/interesting ways to go with the space cruise theme.

Brian,

Your statement is the entire problem with Disney today. Walt Disney never did “it’s fine though”……he did it’s incredible!….It’s unbelievable!…..he did it’s the most magical thing I have ever seen!
Walt also said the parks will never be complete, and i think that also means rides change as well.

The new Splash Mountains is going to as popular as ever, if not more than ever. Change is needed from time to time, and to be fair, the Star Wars hotel was bad idea.......

It's not that far. Who knows how far out Tiana's voyage will take her?
Ok, so that’s a no I assume. Dude I know that part of the country like the back of my hand. That pic is no where near the swamps or New Orleans.

I have fished the bayous and swamps all around New Orleans since I was a young child.

I respect your hardheadedness though, as I might happen to know another fellow that is just that hardheaded.

Last edited:
Maybe, or the other thing that might could work is a salt dome. It’s all a pretty darn big stretch though, and comes across as shoehorned imho.

Certainly not up to the standards of imagineering of yesteryear. I just think it appears that Disney no longer hires the smartest and most creative people on planet earth. Call me crazy, but I want the best and brightest making Disney better.

Last edited:
I thought the elaborate backstory on TBA was to be that she was going on a journey to find some secret ingredient? In that case she could go to just about anywhere that has mountains - right?
Yeah the story of the attraction is not set in New Orleans but centered more around a salt dome. Imagineers based it off the Avery Salt Dome.

I thought the elaborate backstory on TBA was to be that she was going on a journey to find some secret ingredient? In that case she could go to just about anywhere that has mountains - right?
It's called Bayou Adventure so it's supposed to be set in the Bayou, not northern Louisiana.

They know that, it’s just that Disney can do no wrong in their eyes.

I have been on thousands of miles of bayous and I can assure you I have never once seen a 50+ ft tall outcropping of mountainous terrain on a bayou.

The salt mine idea is the only idea I can remotely see working and while it’s underground in real life, you could kinda make that work. However, to say it’s not a pretty big shoehorn being used is simply disingenuous.

The salt mine idea is the only idea I can remotely see working and while it’s underground in real life, you could kinda make that work. However, to say it’s not a pretty big shoehorn being used is simply disingenuous.
OK, accepted, but you do realize if this ride doesn't also feature a talking firefly and a trumpet-playing alligator there's going to be an awful lot of disappointed kids, right?

If Disney can replace a tar baby with a bee hive, then surely they won't have much trouble making a mountain out of a mole-hill...err...salt mine, right?

I miss the food! I hope they incorporate aspects of it elsewhere. It was really yummy, but also presented in fun/interesting ways to go with the space cruise theme.
Cloud of Bespin was a fantastic cocktail on the Starcruiser-- honestly my longing for the Starcruiser days could be assuaged with just that drink. Hoping Oga decides to put it on her menu!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter