Galactic Starcruiser - what is next for this space?

Never said some don’t like it, I am sure there are people that like the ST just fine. What I did say was many don’t like it, and that is verifiable fact based on the enormous amount of reviews and content that bemoans Disney’s ST.

There are exceptions to every single rule, for example Brian hated Top Gun Maverick, but that doesn’t change the fact that the overwhelming majority of people loved it.

History will tell the tale on the Disney ST. The OT has been beloved for 40 years, and the PT has gotten better with age. Will future generations come to adore the ST, maybe but I am doubtful. The toys didn’t really sell, there have been no hit video games based off of it. The true test will be the new Rey movie. If it flops, I think that will be litmus test. I still have hope that they can hire smart people that actually understand Lucas’s vision and fix this mess.

I saw the ST on opening night, the first two at least. TLJ was such a steaming pile of poo that it kinda killed the love of SW for me. A little part of my SW fandom died that night, and I am not sure it can ever be revived. It’s considered one of the most divisive movies in history for a reason, and it was just a terrible choice to hire Rian Johnson to direct that movie. I watched The Rise of Palpatine once at the Theater hoping JJ could somehow fix Johnson’s mess……..and then never watched that garbage ever again. Glad you like it, but that doesn’t change the fact that the ST has been abandoned by a significant portion of OG Star Wars fans that made the brand what it was.

I've only seen one and a half of all the movies, so I'm definitely not a Star Wars literate. However, I really enjoy the design and vision of Galaxy's Edge, and I think ROTR is one of the best rides in the world. I'm glad Disney built the Galactic Starcruiser and I'm very happy for the fans that had the opportunity to experience it.

Truthfully, no one I knew was afraid of the cost, but we were all uncomfortable with the role-playing aspect. I wish the cruiser would come back as a regular hotel someday.

Oh Polymer.. you can keep repeating the same old vent over and over .... does not make it true. Must be hard having the amazing wonder Rey live rent free in your head.

Judging from many of the comments on this thread and others .... it has not been about the topic, or which part of Star Wars, it is always it is the cost.

I know for me it was the cost, and a two day long immersive LARP with no windows or pool.... would not matter if it was Luke or Ahsoka, nope nope nope.

Now how about a real Star Wars bar with actual seating... maybe a dinner and a show?

It would have been better to cancel it and wait for a few years after the pandemic. That financially damaged so many people that spending the amount Disney charged was daft. They should have used original characters you know from the profitable movies.
The ST movies were all profitable to varying degrees. I guess the constant complaints drown out that fact.

Oh Polymer.. you can keep repeating the same old vent over and over .... does not make it true. Must be hard having the amazing wonder Rey live rent free in your head.

Judging from many of the comments on this thread and others .... it has not been about the topic, or which part of Star Wars, it is always it is the cost.

I know for me it was the cost, and a two day long immersive LARP with no windows or pool.... would not matter if it was Luke or Ahsoka, nope nope nope.

Now how about a real Star Wars bar with actual seating... maybe a dinner and a show?
No doubt the cost was a big part of it. However, bad decisions made by people in charge of this project directly lead to that price point, don’t you think?

On the Rey thing……Yeah because I am the only one that thinks that. I mean the TLJ made a really nice chunk of money, but it will never shake its 50% audience score. Disney greatly mismanaged the SW brand, and it is no longer the brand it once was. No amount of pixie dust spreading can erase the damage that has been done.

I don’t think the cost was the biggest issue. I really believe using the least liked SW trilogy was what doomed this thing. Make this thing with all the iconic OT stuff, and you would have had my generation lining up to go. Basing it off the amazing wonder Rey is what doomed this thing imho.

I saw "Star Wars" the week it opened—in Marin County, no less. (When George and Marcia still had a house overlooking the road between San Rafael and San Anselmo.) So my roots are deep in what is now called the Original Trilogy. But the original characters (except for the droids and the seemingly ageless Chewbacca) are now all dead in the storyline, so they're in the past of SW.

When I visited Batuu West, it seemed entirely natural to see Rey and Kylo and other recent characters. It would have been odd to see dead characters. The theming of Galaxy's Edge is outstanding, and my friends and I (another person of my age and one maybe 15 years younger) all had a great time, including getting our photos taken with Rey.

I've seen the first three movies multiple times over the decades. I've seen the other six movies once each and barely remember them. So it isn't that I have any attachment to Rey or Finn or Poe or Kylo. But I think they're fun characters and perfectly appropriate for SWGE.

The people on this board are aware that you hate Rey, but it's ridiculous to pin the Halcyon's problems on her.

I saw "Star Wars" the week it opened—in Marin County, no less. (When George and Marcia still had a house overlooking the road between San Rafael and San Anselmo.) So my roots are deep in what is now called the Original Trilogy. But the original characters (except for the droids and the seemingly ageless Chewbacca) are now all dead in the storyline, so they're in the past of SW.

When I visited Batuu West, it seemed entirely natural to see Rey and Kylo and other recent characters. It would have been odd to see dead characters. The theming of Galaxy's Edge is outstanding, and my friends and I (another person of my age and one maybe 15 years younger) all had a great time, including getting our photos taken with Rey.

I've seen the first three movies multiple times over the decades. I've seen the other six movies once each and barely remember them. So it isn't that I have any attachment to Rey or Finn or Poe or Kylo. But I think they're fun characters and perfectly appropriate for SWGE.

The people on this board are aware that you hate Rey, but it's ridiculous to pin the Halcyon's problems on her.
So Kylo is dead also now, so why is it ok to see him but not Vader, Leia, Han, or Luke?

I do not understand why Disney gave up on the Star Wars Holliday movie releases. They had such a good run going and it was something I absolutely looked forward to every year.

That said;
TLJ was a steaming pile with far too much reliance on the "Force ghost" concept. That same thing ruined Ashoka for me too.

If you only ever going to watch one Star Wars movie, it should be Ep. 7. That said, if you are going to watch all of them, Ep. 7 is just OK. How many times do we have to blow up the death star anyway? Ep. 7 sets up what should be some fantastic story lines but Ep. 8 and Ep. 9 don't really pay off. Such a shame.

Rogue One is by far the most under-rated Star Wars movie. Sandwich a viewing of it between the Andor series and ep. 4 - it's an absolute masterpiece.

Universal did it this way;
Yea, i guess they could do something crazy like that, but the cost of that would be adding the whole area "to the park" wouldn't it? I mean to keep you in the bubble that whole distance would be a massive project.. possibly worth doing, but also making the idea whole other project... or maybe i don't realize how close point A to point B is? (never been)

Rogue One is by far the most under-rated Star Wars movie. Sandwich a viewing of it between the Andor series and ep. 4 - it's an absolute masterpiece.
This, I couldn't agree with more!!

Andor to R1, to ep4, & include ep5 is absolute perfection. 8-)

I do not understand why Disney gave up on the Star Wars Holliday movie releases. They had such a good run going and it was something I absolutely looked forward to every year.

That said;
TLJ was a steaming pile with far too much reliance on the "Force ghost" concept. That same thing ruined Ashoka for me too.

If you only ever going to watch one Star Wars movie, it should be Ep. 7. That said, if you are going to watch all of them, Ep. 7 is just OK. How many times do we have to blow up the death star anyway? Ep. 7 sets up what should be some fantastic story lines but Ep. 8 and Ep. 9 don't really pay off. Such a shame.

Rogue one is by far the best movie that Disney has made in the SW genre.

Kylo’s there because Batuu/The Halcyon sits/sat between TLJ and TROS in the timeline so he’s still alive at that point in the story and thus makes perfect sense for him to be there roaming around etc unlike the OT/PT characters.

With The Halcyon gone now though they could loosen things up a bit at WDW like they have at DL and bring in more limited time characters like Boba, Fennic, Ahsoka, Hera and Chopper etc because keeping the Starcruiser timeline was the reasoning why they were only at DL before and I think doing stuff like that would make some people happier with the situation.

And they’ve stopped releasing movies altogether and put all of the focus onto the TV side of things because the crybaby “Fandom Menace” types bullied them into it. Nothing will ever make them happy unless it’s the same boring Luke/Anakin Skywalker stories being rehashed over and over again.

Look at Ahsoka for example. They were all cheering saying it was the best show ever when Anakin returned in Ep 5 and then next episode they were all crying for Filoni to be fired again and calling him a hack. They just want the same handful of characters all of the time and that’s what’s really ruining Star Wars. It’s a humongous galaxy with eons of history but yeah, let’s keep focusing on one tiny section of it 🙄

And they’ve stopped releasing movies altogether and put all of the focus onto the TV side of things because the crybaby “Fandom Menace” types bullied them into it. Nothing will ever make them happy unless it’s the same boring Luke/Anakin Skywalker stories being rehashed over and over again.
Maybe it is because I was a child of the 70's-80's who grew up on and loved TV mini series. I don't miss movies. I much prefer these 6-10 episode mini series. Sometimes (who am I kidding).... often it is hard to fit a book or story into the timeline of a 2 hour movie format. Not sure I really need new movies anymore. I love these Star Wars TV streaming mini series like Mandalorian... Boba... Andor... Ahsoka etc. I like watching at home on my timeline

They were indeed profitable, has any SW content since then been profitable? Is the brand stronger now or before the Disney ST?
The 2 non ST movies made decent money, combined. The rest of Disney created stuff is on D+ so good luck assigning any kind of profit to them. Certainly Mando was a big streaming and merchandising hit. I would imagine that GE has brought much bigger attendance to HS.

So is the brand stronger - well to answer that question you would need to determine how strong it was when they bought it? 6 movies, 3 of which were considered meh at best and they had not made a new one for nearly a decade and they had one ride in the parks. Given where they were and were they are now, I think its a pretty easy answer to your question.

Kylo’s there because Batuu/The Halcyon sits/sat between TLJ and TROS in the timeline so he’s still alive at that point in the story and thus makes perfect sense for him to be there roaming around etc unlike the OT/PT characters.

With The Halcyon gone now though they could loosen things up a bit at WDW like they have at DL and bring in more limited time characters like Boba, Fennic, Ahsoka, Hera and Chopper etc because keeping the Starcruiser timeline was the reasoning why they were only at DL before and I think doing stuff like that would make some people happier with the situation.

Look at Ahsoka for example. They were all cheering saying it was the best show ever when Anakin returned in Ep 5 and then next episode they were all crying for Filoni to be fired again and calling him a hack. They just want the same handful of characters all of the time and that’s what’s really ruining Star Wars. It’s a humongous galaxy with eons of history but yeah, let’s keep focusing on one tiny section of it 🙄
The Kylo thing makes sense, when you look at it that way. Your SW knowledge is astonishing if I am completely honest.

I just think focusing only on the Disney ST was not a smart move for the Hotel, I think they needed a broader audience for that to work.

Wait, thought I was told earlier that Disney did not stop making movies due to fan backlash? My understanding from those on here is my thoughts are such a minority and I don’t really represent a significant part of the SW fan base. If that’s the case the Mouse House certainly wouldn’t pause making movies for such a small group of angry fans right?

Ahsoka was good, it gives me hope that Filoni actually understands SW. It didn’t really attract tons of viewers, but I personally believe that is because so many diehard SW fans have abandoned the brand due to so much bad / mediocre SW content. Look at YouTube, many of the so called “Fandom Menace” channels have completely stopped talking about SW or reviewing any SW content. I have heard many of them say they are done and will just enjoy the original 1-6 and be good with that. Basically saying SW was not for them anymore.

If the Rey movie flops like many suspect it will, I think you can pretty much say the SW brand is dead. It’s been on life support for a while, but a ST sequel flopping will pull the plug.

Disney appears to be where franchises go to die in recent times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter